SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

I was on the Brighton Line  at Kings Highway last Thursday about 1:45 PM when I spotted an 8 car R-42 on the northbound express track.

Are they running tests again like they did last June with the R-46 on the southbound express track north of Kings Highway?

They have been using a 42 set to test timers and speed limits so they can be adjusted for faster service. IDK if that was the case in this particular situation though, could have been school car as well.

4 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Is it normal for a (4) train to terminate at New Lots around 5:08PM? This was NOT a put in from Livonia Yard, it was a S/B train came from the BX. It didn't go out of service ethier, it layed over and eventually went back uptown in service.

There's a big ol' shitshow going down below Eastern Parkway right now. I think that (4) was probably rerouted away from Utica to clear space for (5)s, which are turning there now. 

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Is it normal for a (4) train to terminate at New Lots around 5:08PM? This was NOT a put in from Livonia Yard, it was a S/B train came from the BX. It didn't go out of service ethier, it layed over and eventually went back uptown in service.

2 hours ago, RR503 said:

There's a big ol' shitshow going down below Eastern Parkway right now. I think that (4) was probably rerouted away from Utica to clear space for (5)s, which are turning there now. 

Nostrand Av line is being worked b/c of major signal problems. Very few trains are stopping there. So, to ease the congestion, some (5) trains use Utica Av, as mentioned to turn back to Eastchester with the (4) to New Lots Av.  This also affects the (2) train running in slow speed. 

Edited by Calvin

31 minutes ago, VIP said:

But the (4) to New Lots are SCHEDULED. From the hours of 5-7pm there are like 4-5 (4) trains that go to New Lots Avenue.

The first 4 to NL is scheduled to arrive there at 6:12, and it goes to Livonia afterwards. That wasn’t this train. 

Today I rode a (1) train from ... wherever the Shake Shack on Varick is up to 96th Street, and a (2) train caught up to us at Penn Station. At 50th Street, the 2 overtook the 1.

Then at 72nd, the 2 train was held in the station (next train was a (3) that was 10 minutes away) and my 1 train overtook it (the 1 was still running local.)

The winner to 96th Street: The (1) train.

i wish I was kidding, but this actually happened.

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Today I rode a (1) train from ... wherever the Shake Shack on Varick is up to 96th Street, and a (2) train caught up to us at Penn Station. At 50th Street, the 2 overtook the 1.

Then at 72nd, the 2 train was held in the station (next train was a (3) that was 10 minutes away) and my 1 train overtook it (the 1 was still running local.)

I've had that happen going south from 96th Street

10 hours ago, paulrivera said:

No you're not kidding...There's plenty of  times ive been on a local that beat the express to my destination...

I saw something interesting at Queens Plaza, they installed "Blind Trip" signs on the columns between the express tracks for southbound express trains (to the left of the track). Looks like they are there to warn about trip stops the TOs cant see coming around the curve

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

Not going to say which location because I hear higher ups like lurking around here.. but one can sense the pressure on T/Os during rush hour to keep the train moving and on time. I've been on countless runs where they are hitting those switches at around 15 mph - not 10. Music to my ears going thru those switches at speed.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:30 PM, paulrivera said:

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I'm wondering if maybe the (2) and (3) line schedules are heavily padded (or more delay prone, who knows?), because I see the 7th Avenue Expresses held in stations more often than the (4) and (5) on Lexington.

The (MTA) needs to schedule the (3) to be directly infront of the (2) with the latter immediately in hot pursuit in both directions. In reality, it's either the (3) being directly behind the (2) or both being spaced evenly apart, which leads to more delays and crowding (combined with Nostrand Junction and the Flatbush Capacity Issue) since the former stays in Manhattan while the latter goes to and from the Bronx. Bronx-bound passengers boarding a (2) train at the same time as those traveling within Manhattan says a whole lot. Brooklyn-bound passengers boarding a (2) train at the same time as those traveling within Manhattan while those coming from the Bronx getting off the train says a whole lot too. Because the (3) stays in Manhattan, it is better that it should be the first train directly ahead of the (2) right on its heels in both directions. The (3) empties out as it heads further uptown. Heading downtown in the beginning of its run, it easily fills up before reaching 96th Street whereas the (2) is already full with its passengers coming from the Bronx.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:38 PM, VIP said:

But the (4) to New Lots are SCHEDULED. From the hours of 5-7pm there are like 4-5 (4) trains that go to New Lots Avenue.

Only two, not five, and are removed from service and taken to the yard. Everything else goes to Utica and reverses in the relay to head back north.