SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, paulrivera said:

In about 5 years when the R46's are being phased out everyone on here will be like "ZOMG no, Imma miss the R46's, end of an era, wawawa."

I'd be bummed but they need to go anyways... I just hope that they preserve at least one of the 2 car sets as with the R44 now just a static exhibit, they should at least preserve an operating version of its sister car...

1 minute ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I'd be bummed but they need to go anyways... I just hope that they preserve at least one of the 2 car sets as with the R44 now just a static exhibit, they should at least preserve an operating version of its sister car...

Wait...that R44 is essentially mechanically dead now?

13 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

LMAO not me... I'll be cheering

Unpopular opinion: the R46 (with the possible exception of the R40M/42) is the best looking subway car class to ever have run in the system. 

Yeah, I won't miss the grabby braking or the worrying sway on the Culver el or the door crowding, but I grew up on the (F)(G); those cars were my childhood. Will be sad to see them go. 

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You can say that again...

Ideally, one infrastructure agency should be doing or coördinating all the related things. That way we don’t have one crew come in and dig up the streets for sewer pipe installation, another for fiber optic installation, then another repaving the street over them, and then the MTA coming in to move all that out of the way to dig a tunnel, and a decade before someone realizes the road needs to be repaved still.

6 hours ago, RR503 said:

Unpopular opinion: the R46 (with the possible exception of the R40M/42) is the best looking subway car class to ever have run in the system. 

Yeah, I won't miss the grabby braking or the worrying sway on the Culver el or the door crowding, but I grew up on the (F)(G); those cars were my childhood. Will be sad to see them go. 

I'm actually shocked so many people dislike them. It feels super satisfying to be on R46 when it's on an express route, those things can really go. 

53 minutes ago, Cabanamaner said:

I'm actually shocked so many people dislike them. It feels super satisfying to be on R46 when it's on an express route, those things can really go. 

I’m looking forward to seeing them blast into W4 on the (B) (if that assignment holds). 

Did you get a chance to ride them on the Culver middle during the rehab? Yes, modulated AC means the 160s were a little faster than their older kin, but the 46s *went* nonetheless. 

2 hours ago, VIP said:

The (E)(F) got the (A)(C) beat for the title “heart of” 

lol it was the same situation for both pairs of routes, the (C) was mostly 32s (with some 38s) with some sets on the (A) , the (E) was entirely 32s with some sets on the (F) 

Post GOH, 75 footers always dominated the (A) and (F) lines, with some with 60FT SMEEs added on, of course 160s now dominate the (F)   

5 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

No u not mistaking....u didn't know..the (C) is the new (J) now...😁😁

I guess I better start taking them then before they dirty them up. I don’t know what riding a clean subway is like anymore. When they get new cars they just don’t clean them for a while. Gotta break them in NY style to get that famous smell of @ss, etc. lol

I’ve noticed lately that the (F) and (R) has swapped a few of its cars with one another. Sometimes I see more R46s showing up in a row on the (F) . I’ve been seeing and catching R160’s more easily on the (R) too. I remember two weeks ago I was on a (M) from Forest Hill’s to Queens Plaza and I saw 4 R160 (R) trains going towards Forest Hills within the span of the ride. The train that I had missed before the (M) I got on was a R160 (R) . Even yesterday I counted 4 R160 (R) ‘s which is quite unusual to see on a weekday unless it was a weekend and the (R) was rerouted in some way. I guess perhaps people have complained about the R46’s because those things do suffer a lot from broken doors, broken LCD signs and poor announcements. 

Does anyone know what’s going on?

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’ve noticed lately that the (F) and (R) has swapped a few of its cars with one another. Sometimes I see more R46s showing up in a row on the (F) . I’ve been seeing and catching R160’s more easily on the (R) too. I remember two weeks ago I was on a (M) from Forest Hill’s to Queens Plaza and I saw 4 R160 (R) trains going towards Forest Hills within the span of the ride. The train that I had missed before the (M) I got on was a R160 (R) . Even yesterday I counted 4 R160 (R) ‘s which is quite unusual to see on a weekday unless it was a weekend and the (R) was rerouted in some way. I guess perhaps people have complained about the R46’s because those things do suffer a lot from broken doors, broken LCD signs and poor announcements. 

Me personally i don't anything special going on...It's not that usual on a wkday to see a few sets pop up on the (R)...ive seen it plenty of times...Jamaica yard should permanently put at least 4 sets on wkdays on the (R) in my opinion...

58 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

IDK what's the cause but I'm super happy to hear this😁 love those 46 (F) trains😄 love those 160 (R) trains too😃

In a perfect world the (F) and (R) would have a mix of 46s and 160s like it did during the Montague tube shutdown.

Wish 68s/68A were more common on the (Q) than that one trip late in the PM Rush thing they got going on but what you can do lol

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

Me personally i don't anything special going on...It's not that usual on a wkday to see a few sets pop up on the (R)...ive seen it plenty of times...Jamaica yard should permanently put at least 4 sets on wkdays on the (R) in my opinion...

Usually I would see no more than one or two sets on the (R) . Some days there are no R160s on the (R) .

I’ve just noticed lately that there are more than 1 or 2 sets popping up and I’ve been seeing more R46s on the (F) sometimes showing up 3 in a row.

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It could be a number of factors, but not passenger complaints in this case.  You have R46s being SMSed, while whichever sets are laid up between past Union Tpke are used first. The R160s on the (R) and R46s on the (F) fluctuate; sometimes you see a lot, other times, almost none at all. 

As I always say: From an operational perspective, it’s best to keep the (F) mostly R160 as a ten-car set of those has more doors than an eight-car set of R46s. That should be how it is considering that the (F) has higher ridership than the (R).

Edited by S78 via Hylan