SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 12/24/2018 at 12:58 PM, RR503 said:

Unpopular opinion: the R46 (with the possible exception of the R40M/42) is the best looking subway car class to ever have run in the system. 

Yeah, I won't miss the grabby braking or the worrying sway on the Culver el or the door crowding, but I grew up on the (F)(G); those cars were my childhood. Will be sad to see them go. 

Not to mention they were the last model's in NYC Subway made entirely (IIRC) in America and by a company has all but imploded upon itself today. I find it hard to feel too emotionally nostalgic over the R44/R46 due to many bad experiences and reliability issues I've had with it on the (A). But as for the trains themselves, I find them very charming and classic, they definitely stand the test of time very well for what they are, and continue to be living pieces of history (right besides the R32). Granted, there "change" hasn't always been well received, ex. 60 foot carriages to 75 foot. But these trains represent the last dying moments in history of America's rapid train/subway expansion and ambition; heck, even during the introduction of these trains, the government was already endorsing highways, and the subway itself was falling apart. That analysis is general for a certainly, but it's hard to imagine the society and cultural outlook behind trains and projects in this country before and during that era, without stepping foot on a train like the R46, and being whisked to that time for good or bad. Now, if only this country could produce more proper trains today, sigh...

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks
Some edits made, wow this post came long...

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't come to grips to hating any particular rolling stock....

Preferences are one thing, but perusing some of the posts/discussions in this section & on other forums (subchat, etc.) over the years, the absolute disdain that's exuded for a particular fleet always trips me out.... You'd have thought someone's momma was being slapped, the way some of y'all dudes go hard in the paint with that...

7 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Preferences are one thing, but perusing some of the posts/discussions in this section & on other forums (subchat, etc.) over the years, the absolute disdain that's exuded for a particular fleet always trips me out.... You'd have thought someone's momma was being slapped, the way some of y'all dudes go hard in the paint with that...

I've known people who will do anything to avoid a line that has R160s or R188 or NTT, even go as far to walk.

35 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Preferences are one thing, but perusing some of the posts/discussions in this section & on other forums (subchat, etc.) over the years, the absolute disdain that's exuded for a particular fleet always trips me out.... You'd have thought someone's momma was being slapped, the way some of y'all dudes go hard in the paint with 

Honestly, I enjoy all of the current subway cars in their own ways. Threatening to not ride a certain subway line because of the cars they use is a level of cringe that's unfortunately all too familiar on these forums. Let's just appreciate the cars for what they are while we still have them. 

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I can't come to grips to hating any particular rolling stock....Preferences are one thing, but perusing some of the posts/discussions in this section & on other forums (subchat, etc.) over the years, the absolute disdain that's exuded for a particular fleet always trips me out.... You'd have thought someone's momma was being slapped, the way some of y'all dudes go hard in the paint with that...

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

I've known people who will do anything to avoid a line that has R160s or R188 or NTT, even go as far to walk.

1 hour ago, Cabanamaner said:

Honestly, I enjoy all of the current subway cars in their own ways. Threatening to not ride a certain subway line because of the cars they use is a level of cringe that's unfortunately all too familiar on these forums. Let's just appreciate the cars for what they are while we still have them. 

I understand people like and hate certain fleets over others (I myself) and honestly it's healthy for most to an extent, but never to a level where I'd not take a specific model, or tear someone's skin apart over it for crying out loud. That's a pretty petty reason to butcher your commute and lifestyle, my opinion though.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

Tonight I rode a (F) that went express to Church Ave... even though an (F) right in front (Which the express (F) caught up to at 4th - 9st) of it went local. Most likely the reason the second (F) went express? The damn garbage train was making its rounds on the local track and the express (F) passed it between Caroll Street and Smith - 9th street, IDK why the Garbage train doesn't pickup during the overnight hours, if they have to pick up during the day, at least do it middays.

It was R127/134 on both ends, random but I just found out the other day those cars were delivered in the mid 90s, didn't realize they were so new. I know Kawasaki used leftover shells from the 62 order to build them, I didn't know the 127/134s are roughly a decade newer than the 62s. Their also the last SMEE's the TA ever ordered, I wonder if the TA will save one for the museum when the time comes, even though their not passenger cars. The real Money Train and the one from the movie are both apart of the TM fleet btw.  

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Tonight I rode a (F) that went express to Church Ave... even though an (F) right in front (Which the express (F) caught up to at 4th - 9st) of it went local. Most likely the reason the second (F) went express? The damn garbage train was making its rounds on the local track and the express (F) passed it between Caroll Street and Smith - 9th street, IDK why the Garbage train doesn't pickup during the overnight hours, if they have to pick up during the day, at least do it middays.

It was R127/134 on both ends, random but I just found out the other day those cars were delivered in the mid 90s, didn't realize they were so new. I know Kawasaki used leftover shells from the 62 order to build them, I didn't know the 127/134s are roughly a decade newer than the 62s. Their also the last SMEE's the TA ever ordered, I wonder if the TA will save one for the museum when the time comes, even though their not passenger cars. The real Money Train and the one from the movie are both apart of the TM fleet btw.  

Correction, the 127 is from 1990/91

On 12/24/2018 at 1:29 PM, CenSin said:

Ideally, one infrastructure agency should be doing or coördinating all the related things. That way we don’t have one crew come in and dig up the streets for sewer pipe installation, another for fiber optic installation, then another repaving the street over them, and then the MTA coming in to move all that out of the way to dig a tunnel, and a decade before someone realizes the road needs to be repaved still.

DOT is supposed to do that coordination.

What's the deal with the following: Whenever I take the (6) either northbound or southbound, as we start to pull out of 42nd-Grand Central, we will start to take power and then suddenly the train will slow down and buck, as if we went BIE. One time, the train actually did go BIE, but every other time, we will then pick up speed again without fully stopping. I don't notice this in any of the other stations.

Also, can someone please train the C/R's on the (6) how to describe the E/M tunnel shutdown properly? So far this week, the C/R's on the (6) have announced "the (E) is running on the (7) line" or "the (E) is running on the (V)" and "the (E) is not running at all this week". Ridiculous!  

Not sure what sub forum to put this in, but the LIRR will be cross honoring between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal during the duration of that "No (J) between  121 and Parsons G.O" so basically if you have a Metrocard, free rides on that portion of the LIRR! 😄

I ridden that stretch of tracks a whole bunch of time but will ride it for free just for the hell of it.

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What's the deal with the following: Whenever I take the (6) either northbound or southbound, as we start to pull out of 42nd-Grand Central, we will start to take power and then suddenly the train will slow down and buck, as if we went BIE. One time, the train actually did go BIE, but every other time, we will then pick up speed again without fully stopping. I don't notice this in any of the other stations.

The (2) and (3) do this northbound out of Park Place.