SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

So since we are in the future and once teleportation is made possible, whats going to happen to the subway?

Interesting...

This type of reform wouldn’t just affect the subway. Having the power to go anywhere, anytime wouldn’t just make the (MTA) collapse (presuming they failed to adapt). It would also make many car, plane and boat companies fall too (government bailout would little help when, teleportation is very powerful, literally). Whoever manned such a industry as large as the ability to teleport people would be in complete control over the design of cities, and the lifestyles of people they influenced. I’m not sure what the specifics would be on such a plan, probably not as all powerful given political situations and divide today, but it’s development would bring about a slew of new challenges and consequences in society, ups and downs. Wayyy too far reaching for such a specific thread like this.

That being said, other factors such as cost of teleportation also need to come into the big picture as well, and that would be important even if it is possible. If it can’t compete with the subway overall in price and management of money, I will say it stands a harder chance at gaining its ground.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

17 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I had no idea that they still had one of these 80's signs at Broadway-Lafayette. The rest on the platform were all Helvetica.

31946168317_35c2828791_b.jpg

There are a couple of these hiding out in plain sight if you know where to look. I saw an 80s style sign at Van Siclen Av (J) hanging off the canopy.

17 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I had no idea that they still had one of these 80's signs at Broadway-Lafayette. The rest on the platform were all Helvetica.

31946168317_35c2828791_b.jpg

There are a couple of these hiding out in plain sight if you know where to look. I saw an 80s style sign at Van Siclen Av (J) hanging off the canopy.

That one at Bway Lafayette's been hidden then for ages. Those hanging signs are a lot more common in old Standard than you'd think. Feels like listing them is dooming them, but there are definitely a few dozen at various stations, particularly at the fronts and backs of platforms. Fewer and fewer, but the 8th Ave line in particular has them everywhere. I have a minor list somewhere.

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

That one at Bway Lafayette's been hidden then for ages. Those hanging signs are a lot more common in old Standard than you'd think. Feels like listing them is dooming them, but there are definitely a few dozen at various stations, particularly at the fronts and backs of platforms. Fewer and fewer, but the 8th Ave line in particular has them everywhere. I have a minor list somewhere.

Same. I fear listing some of my favorite signs for this reason.

2 hours ago, brakethrow said:

lately there has been a couple vids on fb with teens breaking into the rear-end cabs of R62s and saying random things over the PA..

what is the protocol for when train crews encounters situations like these ?

Notify control and dispatch then notify authorities, then investigate the situation as to which car is being trespassed... if I’m not mistaken. 

Edited by VIP

This is for anyone who is interested. I’m not an Astoria resident myself, but I have been using the line for a long time if I say so myself. (I used to commute to Astoria Blvd Station myself every Sunday back in 2016 and 2017). I’m glad that they’re making these upgrades!

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

8 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

On Tuesday, I was Railfanning an R160 (C) leaving Euclid Avenue. When not even half of the train leaves the station, the train goes BIE. The cause, some high school freshmen pulled the emergency brakes. 

Hmm. I wonder how you know such specific information... unless it was you or you’re assuming?

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Hmm. I wonder how you know such specific information... unless it was you or you’re assuming?

I’m a Sophomore first of all, and Second. 2 of my friends and I heard from a few (MTA) staff and some Passengers who saw it happen. Guess I forgot a few details in my original post. 

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

On Tuesday, I was Railfanning an R160 (C) leaving Euclid Avenue. When not even half of the train leaves the station, the train goes BIE. The cause, some high school freshmen pulled the emergency brakes. 

IIRC, On NTT, its not possible for an passenger to make an train go BIE while its moving, it won't go into BIE until it comes to an complete stop at the next station. That is, if you pulled the cord, of course if you throw an object between the cars or get 12-9'd, then the train will stop right away.

34 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

IIRC, On NTT, its not possible for an passenger to make an train go BIE while its moving, it won't go into BIE until it comes to an complete stop at the next station. That is, if you pulled the cord, of course if you throw an object between the cars or get 12-9'd, then the train will stop right away.

So I was given misinformation? Hmm

55 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

It is possible for a passenger to cause a BIE if they pull the PEHU and the train is within 600 feet leaving the station. 

23 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

It is possible for a passenger to cause a BIE if they pull the PEHU and the train is within 600 feet leaving the station. 

I didn't know an passenger activated BIE within 600FT of an station can cause an NTT to stop, thanks.

Edited by trainfan22

On 1/30/2019 at 4:15 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

This is for anyone who is interested. I’m not an Astoria resident myself, but I have been using the line for a long time if I say so myself. (I used to commute to Astoria Blvd Station myself every Sunday back in 2016 and 2017). I’m glad that they’re making these upgrades!

I never knew trucks used to hit the el structure at Astoria Blvd. Wouldn't that cause  the structure to damage like it did on Penn Station (3)? (not 34-Penn)

9 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I didn't know an passenger activated BIE within 600FT of an station can cause an NTT to stop, thanks.

Of course it can. The emergency brake is used as a safety precaution when leaving the station and frankly the only time you shld pull it. Someone got dragged by their tie when the doors closed and locked. Conductors can usually see what’s going on but on curved platforms and stations, it’s pretty difficult. So if a passenger sees someone trapped outside, they shld pull the emergency brake.