SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:30 PM, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Exactly, (on a non-related note) I wish that railfans didn't have to get questioned by the police and T/O's so frequently every time they take photos, I was last week and would've gotten into more trouble if I didn't pull up the MTA rules on a whim. I wasn't really causing any problems to begin with, it's been happening for years as well.

Yeah, transit enthusiasts of your ilk have to carry around rules to avoid being harrassed (which is all it is), but farebeaters apparently have "free" reign to waltz on MTA buses/subways without any impediment whatsoever.....

I mean, that is why I never delved into the photo/video posting aspect of this hobby, and it's quite sad... I'd have no qualms taking pics/vids in some part of the city/region/Metro area most people won't (or can't, for whatever reasons) travel to & sharing them on a forum of this nature....

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:34 PM, RR503 said:

BIG upvote here. Try having those interactions with a name that lightly presses the "is this guy a terrorist" buttons, too...

....Which in & of itself is ignorant to begin with.

Honestly, Ebenezer Herkimer Wilkinson John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt is perfectly capable of detonating some explosive or letting off some chemical in some public place, just as much as someone that happens to have my first name (albeit differently spelled, which of course would mean nothing once it's sounded out), that would fall under those parameters of being a suspected possible damn terrorist...

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

At Rector Street where Trinity Street intersects Morris Street and an off ramp from the tunnel, you can see the entrances to the (1) train stop and the (R)/(W) stop across the street from each other. And I've been wondering "why wasn't a transfer built here?" 

There’s already a transfer between those lines at South Ferry, so it isn’t needed.

46 minutes ago, brakethrow said:

Approaching Franklin Ave s/b my train stops at the yellow right outside the station instead of the red that's roughly a quarter into the station. I've noticed this has been done a few times before.. Why is that ?

s/b on the (4) / (5) btw if that makes a difference..

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

notice that the R179s don't have that pinwheel vision  on the first/last car of the train but on the 160s, that can be shown

Probably the LEDs operate at a higher frequency, so unless you have a very high framerate camera, you don't get the pinwheel effect. 

On 2/8/2019 at 5:44 PM, brakethrow said:

Approaching Franklin Ave s/b my train stops at the yellow right outside the station instead of the red that's roughly a quarter into the station. I've noticed this has been done a few times before... Why is that?

The rule is that if you can't pull the whole train into the station, you have to stay put until you can.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:44 PM, brakethrow said:

Approaching Franklin Ave s/b my train stops at the yellow right outside the station instead of the red that's roughly a quarter into the station. I've noticed this has been done a few times before.. Why is that ?

Does the in-station signal have an ST indication? 

26 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Just to point out: At Inwood-207 St, the (A) transfer announcement is voiced by Velina Mitchell , herself and announcing a free transfer to the (1) at 207/215 St with your metrocard

I was not expecting her to voice the announcement. Totally caught me off guard, lol

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

Just to point out: At Inwood-207 St, the (A) transfer announcement is voiced by Velina Mitchell , herself and announcing a free transfer to the (1) at 207/215 St with your metrocard. 

Who? She sounds horrible...

MTA really should start hosting auditions for the subway voice again...so many great voice actors out there that can really bring the system to life.

Edited by Lawrence St