SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, Traveling on the (C) train bound for Brooklyn, but got off at Chambers St/WTC, I saw two teenage girls sitting next to me. The one sitting in the center was in an argument on the phone, and some guy across the way though that she was saying something to her, and he took it seriously. He flew over to where she was sitting and threatened to beat her. 

1 hour ago, FLX9304 said:

Yesterday, Traveling on the (C) train bound for Brooklyn, but got off at Chambers St/WTC, I saw two teenage girls sitting next to me. The one sitting in the center was in an argument on the phone, and some guy across the way though that she was saying something to her, and he took it seriously. He flew over to where she was sitting and threatened to beat her. 

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOO oh shit

5 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

It’s a safety hazard for newspapers to be covered on the full with cab doors. Something serious happens, it’s their asses

If I had to guess it's probably a fire or visibility hazard. Is this correct?

Edited by OIG119

7 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

It’s nyc , crazy shit like that shouldn’t even surprise you 

Back in my old NYC days, it wouldn’t because I used to it defferently. B4 social media, it was word of 👄 that told others about what happened on the subways. I remember the fights on Elder Hunts Point and 149th St (6) and Simpson to Jackson Ave on the (2) & (5) . By 6:30-8:00, it’s was back to normal 

1 hour ago, FLX9304 said:

Back in my old NYC days, it wouldn’t because I used to it defferently. B4 social media, it was word of 👄 that told others about what happened on the subways. I remember the fights on Elder Hunts Point and 149th St (6) and Simpson to Jackson Ave on the (2) & (5) . By 6:30-8:00, it’s was back to normal 

The lack of easily accessible information back in 70s-90s is why a decent amount of old heads who grew up in the relatively safe areas of NYC swear it was overall much safer back then. When in fact statistics shows homicide rates were at a constant 1000+ with some years even hitting 2000+ in that time period.

On a different note there's a (5) train operator who's train I've been on more than a handful of times. I call him ghost operator because he always has a dust mask on which barely reveals his face. He's always standing and knows how to fly into a station comfortably while most operators brake before the platforms along the Nostrand IRT.

Edited by brakethrow

(N) train makes it to 36 Street and stalls on the local track. (D) train catches up on the express track. Both trains are held for 5 minutes and I hear the train operator complain that he is already late. The conductor then announces that the (N) will be filing in for the gap in (D) service. The (D) across the platform will be running express. So we wait another 3 minutes for the (D) to crawl out and make express stops. We follow right behind. And now both trains are behind schedule!

Anyoneelse think that was a poor decision?

A split at 36 Street, a merge, another split before 9 Avenue, and then a merge at Bay 50 Street, and then each train to its own terminal. Sometimes I think Wallyhorse is calling the shots.

Edited by CenSin

11 minutes ago, CenSin said:

(N) train makes it to 36 Street and stalls on the local track. (D) train catches up on the express track. Both trains are held for 5 minutes and I hear the train operator complain that he is already late. The conductor then announces that the (N) will be filing in for the gap in (D) service. The (D) across the platform will be running express. So we wait another 3 minutes for the (D) to crawl out and make express stops. We follow right behind. And now both trains are behind schedule!
Anyone else think that was a poor decision?

I think this has happened before too! This is how dispatch artificially creates delays. 

24 minutes ago, CenSin said:

A split at 36 Street, a merge, another split before 9 Avenue, and then a merge at Bay 50 Street, and then each train to its own terminal. Sometimes I think Wallyhorse is calling the shots.

Why doesn't the (N) just get on the express track at 36? I get it has to run local between 59-36 but just going on the express track at 36 would solve a lot of problems 

15 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

That's what I thought too, but then I saw an (N) go to the express track one time. Probably it was going via West End or something.

I got back to the terminal to find 0 (N) trains at the station. Given the delays, I’m guessing the (N) behind us made it all the way to the terminal and got the f**k out before we even showed up.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:22 PM, trainfan22 said:

Bedford Ave on the (L) only has construction lights lightning up the station. The regular lights either got taken out or turned off.

Speaking of lights... why are the lights at 168th on the (1) line still on? They might as well turn them off until the station opens again.

Today I saw workers on the plats at 168th. I would assume they need light.

6 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The switch from express to local is north of the station.

That is correct .there is no way for an (N) to be at express track at 36th st and go to /have come from Sea Beach. Any train at 36th st on express must have come from/going to West End. Today there was a G.O Whwre manhattan bound (D) was via (N) . So all 3 had to run on the same track from 59 to 36.

7 hours ago, Jemorie said:

How?

Newspaper coverings can posing a viewing hazard. At one point, a fight can break out in the front car and the motorman cannot see what was happening until it was too late. Injuries & deaths can occur and the motorman is held responsible for it. 

Before OPTO began in 1996, many subway operators was putting newspapers on covers of fully width open cab windows on the doors. After that, they were told not to do it anymore 

14 hours ago, CenSin said:

I know all about the dumb shit........Just last night on my way home (4) train show up marked for new lots around 9pm...Ran express and all until franklin then switched to local for nostrand and kingston...Gets to utica last stop ...Next train a (4) for new lots we was told at utica....That gets their last stop but then they send that set for layup at livonia yard...Then we had to wait 10 mins for the next (3)...I spent at least a half hour at utica just to get a train to pennsylvania...