SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

This place opened less than a month ago, no excuse...

cFVZCPj.png

(1)(2)(3) to Chambers? Seriously? One of the WTC Cortlandt exits is perpendicularly juxtaposed to their only entrance, and Park Place is significantly closer than Chambers. And come on, the (W) has been back for years. Who didn't do their research?

EDIT: Looks like they just copied Westfield WTC's 'Getting Here' section. Shame on both of them!

Edited by Porter

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the next couple days, starting this evening, I’m going to incorporate current program and project information into the first page of each and ever major thread that is pinned.  The original posts will remain, and the updates will be found underneath. This way, whenever we have major updates, they can always be found in a place accessible, and you will no longer have to sift through posts to see what you may have missed.

For example, please refer to the first page and post in the R142/142A Upgrade thread for an overview of program details that will be updated regularly. The rest of the threads will follow. 

I was not feeling the idea of having to go back to the beginning of each thread, so I’m trying something new that I think you all will like much better. From now on, all major updates will be found right at the top of the thread no matter what page you are on. That way, you can effective immediately, keep up with information right on the latest page in a thread. 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:34 AM, paulrivera said:

I love how the (4) has been reduced to a rush hour (and nights) only route north of Burnside for the next 6 weeks. /s

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:42 PM, paulrivera said:

Evenings, yes. But 9:45a to 3p M-F, 8a to 6p Sat, and 11a to 6p Sun there’s minimal, barebones service that’s not even worth using.

I know it's a pain to deal with these ongoing Jerome Ave service changes, but there is unfortunately a limited window where work can be done. Once baseball season starts in earnest, Transit is at the whim of the Yankees' home schedule in terms of construction work. They could just shut down the line entirely and get the work done faster, but the overwhelming majority do not want that, so this is what we get.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

So I just missed the (7) at 40th street towards Queensboro Plaza and the next on was 15 minutes away. Pretty long for 7:50 in the morning. Luckily the Q32 was a minute away and can actually take me to Manhattan without me having to transfer.

isn’t that due to there being no service past Queensboro Plaza 

1 hour ago, Maxwell179 said:

isn’t that due to there being no service past Queensboro Plaza 

But service shouldn't be running every 15 minutes.

I just missed the 7:52 AM train and the next one wasn't until 8:07 AM and then after that it was 8:25 AM.

Edited by Lil 57

So when a train crew gets pulled out of service due to the train operator "speeding'' what disciplinary action do they have to follow next ?

How often does this actually happen ? Do some crews get a slap on the wrist due to seniority ?

Also wouldn't it make more sense to just have the TSS in the cab for the rest of the run instead of delaying the train waiting for another crew ?

Lastly, hearing how unnecessarily aggressive some of these TSS's are, do they have some type of quota to meet or are some just too caught up in their "power" ?

Do you think the following Midday and Weekend service adjustments would result in more "fair" service for everyone? (Some may even be cost-saving)

Middays:

(N)  reduced to 12 minutes, but all (W) trains (also cut to 12 minutes) will be sent to Astoria regardless of track work - Middays and Evenings

- Preserved Astoria service to at least 10 tph during middays

- Allows evening service to be evenly spaced between (N) and (W) trains in Astoria

(7) trains reduced to every 6 minutes concurrent with reduction of the (N)(W) to a combined 6 minutes out of Astoria

- Allows for easier connections at QBP

(6) service reduced to every 6 minutes, but all trains sent to Pelham Bay Park regardless of construction in the bronx? - Middays

- Does not leave The Bronx with only 8-minute headways north of 3 Av-138 St on the (6) 

- Evenly spaced (6) train service

Weekends:

(3) trains run only between 148 St and Chambers St, then via the (1) to South Ferry every 20 minutes on weekends.

- This would Preserve 8-minute headways on the (2) train despite any construction in Brooklyn or on 7 Av.

- The (4) can be extended to New Lots Av all weekends and give 8-minute headways to the (4) (despite local service From Atlantic Av to Utica Av)

*Just wondering

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Do you think the following Midday and Weekend service adjustments would result in more "fair" service for everyone? (Some may even be cost-saving)

Middays:

(N)  reduced to 12 minutes, but all (W) trains (also cut to 12 minutes) will be sent to Astoria regardless of track work - Middays and Evenings

- Preserved Astoria service to at least 10 tph during middays

- Allows evening service to be evenly spaced between (N) and (W) trains in Astoria

(7) trains reduced to every 6 minutes concurrent with reduction of the (N)(W) to a combined 6 minutes out of Astoria

- Allows for easier connections at QBP

(6) service reduced to every 6 minutes, but all trains sent to Pelham Bay Park regardless of construction in the bronx? - Middays

- Does not leave The Bronx with only 8-minute headways north of 3 Av-138 St on the (6) 

- Evenly spaced (6) train service

Weekends:

(3) trains run only between 148 St and Chambers St, then via the (1) to South Ferry every 20 minutes on weekends.

- This would Preserve 8-minute headways on the (2) train despite any construction in Brooklyn or on 7 Av.

- The (4) can be extended to New Lots Av all weekends and give 8-minute headways to the (4) (despite local service From Atlantic Av to Utica Av)

*Just wondering

IIRC, when there was construction in Astoria pre-2010, the (W) would have been entirely cut during the midday. Thanks to SAS, Broadway retains the same service (sort of, (W) should be every 12 minutes instead of every 20) but it's better then nothing.

12 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

IIRC, when there was construction in Astoria pre-2010, the (W) would have been entirely cut during the midday. Thanks to SAS, Broadway retains the same service (sort of, (W) should be every 12 minutes instead of every 20) but it's better then nothing.

Actually when it was Astoria-bound PRE-2010, the (W) ran normal frequency, and when it was Manhattan-bound, the (W) ran every 15 minutes. Yes there was a bit of train bunching headed up to Ditmars Blvd, but at least the trains ran more or less on schedule. I'm just not a fan of seeing 2 Av getting service every 8 minutes on the (Q) + the 20-minute (W) trains, while Astoria gets the "10-minute" frequency of the (N) (where the reality is that 25+ minute gaps are the norm). It just balances everything out. In a time where service is very unreliable, it should be best that we either increase the frequency, or provide the routes scheduled to run on a line rather than divert them.