SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Actually when it was Astoria-bound PRE-2010, the (W) ran normal frequency, and when it was Manhattan-bound, the (W) ran every 15 minutes. Yes there was a bit of train bunching headed up to Ditmars Blvd, but at least the trains ran more or less on schedule. I'm just not a fan of seeing 2 Av getting service every 8 minutes on the (Q) + the 20-minute (W) trains, while Astoria gets the "10-minute" frequency of the (N) (where the reality is that 25+ minute gaps are the norm). It just balances everything out. In a time where service is very unreliable, it should be best that we either increase the frequency, or provide the routes scheduled to run on a line rather than divert them.

I'm curious, where do the extra train sets from the (W) go when the Midday G.O starts? Do they turn into (N) trains at Astoria or do they head down to 86th St?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm curious, where do the extra train sets from the (W) go when the Midday G.O starts? Do they turn into (N) trains at Astoria or do they head down to 86th St?

They go to 86 St, every other (W) train starting with the 8:33AM train out of Astoria. The remaining Whitehall St (W) trains end up running the Manhattan-only service

I suppose this is only tangentially related to the subway but did anyone else see the new plans to widen and rebuild the LIRR main concourse area in Penn? They had pictures of it in a presentation during today’s Board meeting. It looked nice and all bout wasn’t the idea that in 2023, we’d kick MSG out and build a proper station with better connections between all the rail and the subway? Did we completely just give up on that or is this just something to hold us over in the mean time or something that would accompany the main area under current day MSG? Maybe better suited for the LIRR/MN sub forum but those hardly seem used on this site. 

17 minutes ago, SuperDonut said:

I suppose this is only tangentially related to the subway but did anyone else see the new plans to widen and rebuild the LIRR main concourse area in Penn? They had pictures of it in a presentation during today’s Board meeting. It looked nice and all bout wasn’t the idea that in 2023, we’d kick MSG out and build a proper station with better connections between all the rail and the subway? Did we completely just give up on that or is this just something to hold us over in the mean time or something that would accompany the main area under current day MSG? Maybe better suited for the LIRR/MN sub forum but those hardly seem used on this site. 

Was this in CPOC?

27 minutes ago, SuperDonut said:

What minute? I didn't see it in there.

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/docs/Penn Station Concourse Improvements.pdf

4 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I’m referring to the new entrance and exchange of space segment. Basically they’re doing som property swap with vornado, pushing the storefronts back and getting rid of that weird barrel roof and upgrading the lighting. That’s what I was referring to alosnginsde upgrading and adding some entrances. Is this meant to lead into a potential actual future re-built penn or is this the MTA just giving up and admiring penn will always be trash so might as well just make it look somewhat nice. 

5 minutes ago, SuperDonut said:

I’m referring to the new entrance and exchange of space segment. Basically they’re doing som property swap with vornado, pushing the storefronts back and getting rid of that weird barrel roof and upgrading the lighting. That’s what I was referring to alosnginsde upgrading and adding some entrances. Is this meant to lead into a potential actual future re-built penn or is this the MTA just giving up and admiring penn will always be trash so might as well just make it look somewhat nice. 

Where are the renderings?

2 hours ago, SuperDonut said:

Found them in an article. Apparently this was announced a while ago. I believe the presentation had some updated side by side shots but this has many of them:

https://www.6sqft.com/cuomo-reveals-new-lirr-station-and-public-plaza-at-penn-station/

This article has so much Cuomo propaganda....

@Abba Emergency brake application? (Not counting training)

If so, it is certainly possible considering that those events are usually rare. Of course, he may be lying as well, but in general, T/O's typically don't witness them as timers/speed limits/safety have been in place for many years.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

My question was any BIE where he had to conduct an an investigation of the whole train to determine the cause of the BIE. Or any BIE not caused by a passenger.14 years without doing that?   sounds pretty lucky to me .

Edited by Abba

Is It safe to say the R160 “Cuomo scheme” sets experiment is over? (There was 2 full 10-car sets on the (F) )  if they’re not needed specifically for (E) service, what’s up with restoration of original spec or the updated spec on those cars?? 

I have a huge issue with farejumping now. I am surprised at how kids at Stuy HS (a specialized high school for the gifted kids) are literally farejumping at Chambers St on the IRT! Like wtf these kids have student MetroCards and it’s free for them! And they still don’t pay their f**king fare! I don’t want to rant like this but I would like the MTA to get at least one f**king police or student to watch and be able to arrest farejumpers. This is 100% bulls**t! 

39 minutes ago, mine248 said:

I have a huge issue with farejumping now. I am surprised at how kids at Stuy HS (a specialized high school for the gifted kids) are literally farejumping at Chambers St on the IRT! Like wtf these kids have student MetroCards and it’s free for them! And they still don’t pay their f**king fare! I don’t want to rant like this but I would like the MTA to get at least one f**king police or student to watch and be able to arrest farejumpers. This is 100% bulls**t! 

Well...

1. Students cannot arrest fare evaders, the few that want to do that job in the first place have little power over criminals. A larger form of police staffing has been done before, transit police IIRC.

2. Any school (prestigious or not) has it's share of fare evaders, just like drug addicts, and wrongdoers (and vice versa). I don't expect Stuyvesant to be exempt from this so it's little of any surprise. Why they are actually doing this specifically, is a more notable concern. ex. For more rides? Broken or no card?

3. Farebeating is unjustifiable, but if the city and (MTA) want to keep paying for Student MetroCard's, they best make sure they have other priorities sorted out, and farebeating is one getting worse and worse and worse while nothing is done, I could go on.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

24 minutes ago, brakethrow said:

Why do (A) trains have to slow down when going uphill on both bridges in the Rockaways ?

They’re both lift bridges, and in the case that there’s a bridge lift occurring, then the train can stop without sacrificing safety