SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Regarding the (MTA) wanting to put snack machines in the subway:

Itll be a waste of money. Those machines are going to get jammed up by those showtime people that sell candy from that basketball program, much like how the swipers jam up the MetroCard machines to sell rides.

Edited by paulrivera

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Regarding the (MTA) wanting to put snack machines in the subway:

Itll be a waste of money. Those machines are going to get jammed up by those showtime people that sell candy [WELCH'S FRUIT SNACKS] from that basketball program, much like how the swipers jam up the MetroCard machines to sell rides.

Tonight, I was waiting for the (6) in Manhattan, and these 3 guys wearing Fedex uniforms come into the station screaming and hollering. Then, one guy says to the others "hey, I'll show you how you can beat the turnstile!". He goes outside fare control area, goes to one of the HEETs, steps inside it, and repeatedly pushes the turnstile until it opened just wide enough to let him slip through (he was on the skinny side, but certainly not super thin). I've never seen that before. 

I've seen these same Fedex workers before asking people to let them in through the emergency exit as well. Real  wonderful members of society...

8 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Tonight, I was waiting for the (6) in Manhattan, and these 3 guys wearing Fedex uniforms come into the station screaming and hollering. Then, one guy says to the others "hey, I'll show you how you can beat the turnstile!". He goes outside fare control area, goes to one of the HEETs, steps inside it, and repeatedly pushes the turnstile until it opened just wide enough to let him slip through (he was on the skinny side, but certainly not super thin). I've never seen that before. 

I've seen these same Fedex workers before asking people to let them in through the emergency exit as well. Real  wonderful members of society...

damn snitch smh

14 minutes ago, ibroketheprinter said:

For any of you transit workers out there in the audience, how fast do the 4 and 5 go on Lexington Avenue? As a passenger on the early morning trains from Grand Central to 86th, i've noticed that the trains seems to be going pretty fast, but I never knew how fast. 

Depends on a lot of things there (train traffic, etc.)

2 hours ago, ibroketheprinter said:

For any of you transit workers out there in the audience, how fast do the 4 and 5 go on Lexington Avenue? As a passenger on the early morning trains from Grand Central to 86th, i've noticed that the trains seems to be going pretty fast, but I never knew how fast. 

Terrible, absolute sh*t show. A ride from 42nd to Woodlawn can take up to 2 hours because people wont stop holding the dam door.

42 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Terrible, absolute sh*t show. A ride from 42nd to Woodlawn can take up to 2 hours because people wont stop holding the dam door.

Oh god, that long  from midtown to the bronx? That's a tough job. Even as passengers we hate when people do that because it extends our travel time to. Just be glad you don't work on BDFM through 47-50th streets because that platform is packed to the brim during rush hour. I used to work by there and take the subway back and it was bad. Anyway, I always wondered why the train took so long to move off once the doors had closed, because i sit in the last car so I can get a seat. The middle cars are sardine cars so those people holding the door is probably the reason.

4 minutes ago, ibroketheprinter said:

Oh god, that long  from midtown to the bronx? That's a tough job. Even as passengers we hate when people do that because it extends our travel time to. Just be glad you don't work on BDFM through 47-50th streets because that platform is packed to the brim during rush hour. I used to work by there and take the subway back and it was bad. Anyway, I always wondered why the train took so long to move off once the doors had closed, because i sit in the last car so I can get a seat. The middle cars are sardine cars so those people holding the door is probably the reason.

You should see Union Square, 42nd and 125th...its like a nightmare.

Plus most of the time we are so delayed we end up doing express runs in the bronx.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

You should see Union Square, 42nd and 125th...its like a nightmare.

Plus most of the time we are so delayed we end up doing express runs in the bronx.

I don't think any train can beat the (7). The AM rush is brutal on the Local and Express. You will have to let trains pass and wait for the next one just to get some standing room.

4 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

I don't think any train can beat the (7). The AM rush is brutal on the Local and Express. You will have to let trains pass and wait for the next one just to get some standing room.

100% Relateable. I get on at hunterspoint and even though they come like every three minutes those things are packed AF!

8 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

PM's is crowded on 42nd St and Queensboro Plaza. Speaking of AM rush, there's a pattern of the 7 heading to Main St with one behind to Mets-Wilets Pt (then Main St and Mets): (Queens bound trains)

Edited by Calvin

4 hours ago, ibroketheprinter said:

100% Relateable. I get on at hunterspoint and even though they come like every three minutes those things are packed AF!

I always wondered...does anyone take LIRR from Woodside into Penn station to avoid the (7)? It would be quite expensive for such a short distance, but would probably save a lot of time. That seems like one stop that could be used to shift people from the subway to the LIRR's existing capacity if they made a special fare.

Edited by QM1to6Ave

15 minutes ago, Abba said:

2 hours from grand central to Woodlawn? I doubt it ! The whole route from Brooklyn is only 1 hour and 10 min. Even though it’s rush hour 2 hours is way overdoing it!

If you get hit with a delay in the middle of rush hour, two hours from Brooklyn Bridge to Woodlawn is very much possible

17 minutes ago, Abba said:

2 hours from grand central to Woodlawn? I doubt it ! The whole route from Brooklyn is only 1 hour and 10 min. Even though it’s rush hour 2 hours is way overdoing it!

Not even the (2) train takes two hours to go from Flatbush to Wakefield... and that's the longest line in the IRT!

We can  check livetrain.nyc tomorrow (which is back in business in case no one noticed ) And we can check for ourself. I doubt it though . Has to be a delay for then 30-45 min .maybe if it’s local plus delayed then maybe,

Edited by Abba

Ok you know what we don’t have to wait for tomorrow.this website TransSee.ca now has history for all lines. Here is the history for today For 4 trains 

https://www.transsee.ca/triplist?a=mtasubway&route=4

a few trains arrived at Woodlawn 20 min late but even those the whole trip didn’t not take more then 2 hours so that’s it.

1 hour ago, Abba said:

Ok you know what we don’t have to wait for tomorrow.this website TransSee.ca now has history for all lines. Here is the history for today For 4 trains 

https://www.transsee.ca/triplist?a=mtasubway&route=4

a few trains arrived at Woodlawn 20 min late but even those the whole trip didn’t not take more then 2 hours so that’s it.

@Abba How do I work Transsee.ca?

11 hours ago, Abba said:

Lol how about you ride the (4) in the middle of rush hour and see for yourself. You'll get to experience what it feels like being in a sardine can along with the smell, and the constant passenger who keeps trying to force themselves aboard the train even though theres no room.

Kingsbridge to Union Square takes 40-45 mins on average during the height of the AM rush hour (from around 7 to 8 AM). I do know that sometimes past 8:30 trains can end up taking 10-20 minutes between Grand Central and Union Square. I distinctly remember transferring to the (6) from Grand Central one time and we passed 5 trains on the express track down to Union Square.