SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It basically was the MTA talking about less delays and increasing (or rather decreasing) the goal of how many delays would occur.

A waste of a press conference imo.

They also set a new goal for reducing delays and increasing OTP.

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

They also set a new goal for reducing delays and increasing OTP.

They really need to concoct a metric that can speak to service performance in absolute terms, not relative to a (changeable) schedule. Something like network velocity, or percent adherence to the comfort speed curve, or just runtimes for each stopping pattern. Because right now, I fear all the metrics are being somewhat muddled by changing schedules. 

5 hours ago, RR503 said:

They really need to concoct a metric that can speak to service performance in absolute terms, not relative to a (changeable) schedule. Something like network velocity, or percent adherence to the comfort speed curve, or just runtimes for each stopping pattern. Because right now, I fear all the metrics are being somewhat muddled by changing schedules. 

LU has a great focus group study on what such a metric would look like.

They have metrics called "Lost Customer Hours" and "Excess Journey Times".

FOI response about how "Excess Journey Time" is calculated.

8 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

NYCT does additional train time, additional platform time, and customer journey time now too (which are, to be fair, calculated with a lot less rigor than at TfL) but those metrics are still dependent on the schedules themselves — they’re all relative to some expected value. What I’m looking for is a layer below that, some reporting of the real operations metrics as they exist. So dwell time, network velocity, achievement of infrastructure speeds, median headway, 25th percentile headway/75th percentile headway both in the schedule and in delivery, number of rerouted train miles etc etc etc. None of these ideas are all that original (and a lot of these data points are already tracked internally), it’s just a matter of releasing them.  

10 minutes ago, RR503 said:

NYCT does additional train time, additional platform time, and customer journey time now too (which are, to be fair, calculated with a lot less rigor than at TfL) but those metrics are still dependent on the schedules themselves — they’re all relative to some expected value. What I’m looking for is a layer below that, some reporting of the real operations metrics as they exist. So dwell time, network velocity, achievement of infrastructure speeds, median headway, 25th percentile headway/75th percentile headway both in the schedule and in delivery, number of rerouted train miles etc etc etc. None of these ideas are all that original (and a lot of these data points are already tracked internally), it’s just a matter of releasing them.  

True. The nice thing is that in London all that calculated data is auditable, because a subset of Oyster data is open and contains entry and exits.

Metrocard data unfortunately isn't as granular simply because of the lack of exit tap/swipe.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:42 AM, Union Tpke said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6815705/Subway-passenger-carries-30ft-metal-structure-beam-busy-train.html

New York City subway passenger manages to get a 30ft metal girder onto a busy train

WTF...:lol:...I mean what was he gonna do with that...Where did he even get that from...Ive never seen anything like this...I thought when i saw the man with the sofa was crazy..This takes the cake..:lol:

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Dude just lit a joint on a downtown (A) in the first car and the TSS in the cab turns around and opens the door, yells at him “bitch what” and closes the door to the cab again. Needless to say the guy got off at the next stop...

"Attention passengers, we are going to be held in the station due to somebody smoking a joint in the first car of the train. As soon as this guy is off of the premises we will resume our route. We apologize for this inconvenience".

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Dude just lit a joint on a downtown (A) in the first car and the TSS in the cab turns around and opens the door, yells at him “bitch what” and closes the door to the cab again. Needless to say the guy got off at the next stop...

Becoming all too common... All of these homeless people with mental issues are getting on the trains lighting up. There was one on the (1) train a few weeks ago in fact.

10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Becoming all too common... All of these homeless people with mental issues are getting on the trains lighting up. There was one on the (1) train a few weeks ago in fact.

Yes this year alone almost every week I've been on a train where a homeless person is sparking a blunt. December last year going uptown on the (A) between 59th and 125th some homeless head is in his own world smoking his spliff meanwhile the train was relatively full with a handful of kids age 12 and under. Being that it was a 46 riders were basically trapped on that 5 min + run.

I remember years ago (7+) you'd find maybe one homeless person in a train car and it was usually during late night hours. Now it is not uncommon to see two sharing the same car during all hours of the day. Late night is a whole 'nother ball game as on some lines going from car to car you'd find them on almost every car.

I don't mind sharing cars with any homeless person though, it is the mentally ill ones that smell of pure ass - engulfing the whole car with that shit smell that irritates me. 

13 minutes ago, brakethrow said:

Yes this year alone almost every week I've been on a train where a homeless person is sparking a blunt. December last year going uptown on the (A) between 59th and 125th some homeless head is in his own world smoking his spliff meanwhile the train was relatively full with a handful of kids age 12 and under. Being that it was a 46 riders were basically trapped on that 5 min + run.

I remember years ago (7+) you'd find maybe one homeless person in a train car and it was usually during late night hours. Now it is not uncommon to see two sharing the same car during all hours of the day. Late night is a whole 'nother ball game as on some lines going from car to car you'd find them on almost every car.

I don't mind sharing cars with any homeless person though, it is the mentally ill ones that smell of pure ass - engulfing the whole car with that shit smell that irritates me. 

I mind it because most of them smell HORRIBLE.  I have to go to Brooklyn here and there and my God the (2) train is FULL of homeless people. It gets WORSE every weekend in fact. It's so bad that I have to scan every car that passes me before I get on.  Coming back on the (4) train in fact, I boarded and this homeless person took over the entire area where you have the two benches in the opposite corner of the train.  ALL of their personal belongings taking up that entire area on BOTH sides.  If you don't have that going on, they literally trash the entire train. It's ridiculous. The (1) train has also been a big problem. You get on now and see them sprawled out, and some of them become belligerent.  

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The guy wasn’t homeless nor mentally ill, he was trying to hide it and left in shame while a mentally ill guy would have picked a fight or continued to smoke.