SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Anybody notice the spike in “half cab” incidents on the R62A trains? I’m talking about when the door is closed inward by accident and forms a half cab. (I saw a half cab on the back of a (1) train yesterday, and another time on the 6 line.) Is this an employee’s fault or might this be the work of the subway vandals who broke into the trains a few years ago?

There is a post on Instagram that showed a half cab too. It’s weird.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, BayParkwayW said:

Anybody notice the spike in “half cab” incidents on the R62A trains? I’m talking about when the door is closed inward by accident and forms a half cab. (I saw a half cab on the back of a (1) train yesterday, and another time on the 6 line.) Is this an employee’s fault or might this be the work of the subway vandals who broke into the trains a few years ago?

There is a post on Instagram that showed a half cab too. It’s weird.

Sometimes employees will forget to close the door all the way, and when the train starts speeding up or brakes hard, the door will fly and get stuck in the half position. I've seen it happen twice on the (1) .

15 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Sometimes employees will forget to close the door all the way, and when the train starts speeding up or brakes hard, the door will fly and get stuck in the half position. I've seen it happen twice on the (1) .

Anyone have a pic of this? I'm not really understanding what's being described and I've never seen what (at least I think) is being described. 

1 hour ago, Enjineer said:

Anyone have a pic of this? I'm not really understanding what's being described and I've never seen what (at least I think) is being described. 

Basically, the door isn't closed properly and it is opened inward 90 degrees hitting the controller creating what he dubs as the "half cab". Most of the time it's prob someone who forgot to shut the cab door at the end of the line. 

13 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

My friend sent me a picture of a new R46 floor. It’s gray and has black specks.

Also on another note, some of the R160’s like 8653-8657(I believe) have like new interiors. It’s Similar to 8722-8727, the one that got security cameras and all that. I only realized by looking at the ends of the cars. Idk how to describe it but it’s not exactly a new interior lol

That's not new.

5 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

8653-8662 and 8713-8722 were the original pilot sets so they came in before the MTA spec'd the stainless steel.

1 hour ago, BayParkwayW said:

But yes, this is what I’m talking about:

Wow! Just curious, what would happen if a passenger went to the front window? Would they get yelled at by the T/O (or would one be not even allowed to step in to begin with lest they be haggled by an irked employee) 

2 hours ago, Enjineer said:

Wow! Just curious, what would happen if a passenger went to the front window? Would they get yelled at by the T/O (or would one be not even allowed to step in to begin with lest they be haggled by an irked employee) 

What's funny about your comment is that I innocently walked into that little alcove many years ago! It was in the back of the train (so no T/O) and I figured it was a new experiment or something, so I looked out the back of the (6) train as the tunnel blurred by (I am also a frequent (7) rider so I was used to looking out the front or back). Then a very nice supervisor (with some special MTA logo on his jacket) kindly told me that it was a mistake and that the door shouldn't be closed 90 degrees. He said it was "a different design" than the singles on the 7 train. 

17 minutes ago, BayParkwayW said:

What's funny about your comment is that I innocently walked into that little alcove many years ago! It was in the back of the train (so no T/O) and I figured it was a new experiment or something, so I looked out the back of the (6) train as the tunnel blurred by (I am also a frequent (7) rider so I was used to looking out the front or back). Then a very nice supervisor (with some special MTA logo on his jacket) kindly told me that it was a mistake and that the door shouldn't be closed 90 degrees. He said it was "a different design" than the singles on the 7 train. 

Tbh anyone can make that mistake. If you ride metro north frequently and see something like that on the subway you wouldnt know that it was an error.

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

Even if they see the sign on the floor below thats still not gonna stop them in my opinion...

Feels like one of those gates you see on r/CrappyDesign or something that could easily be opened by a thief. Sure, it's not going to stop determined folks, but to a casual person who's just taking the opportunity, the presence of a gate itself (or in this case the fare evasion warnings) could be a good enough deterrent to at least curb some fare evasion.  

(J) train shuttle buses extended to Broadway-Lafayette st this weekend. A little further in Manhattan this time instead of dropping you off as soon as you are off the bridge like the usual. It is only for this weekend. This is due to Uptown (F) trains not serving Essex St this weekend also.