SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

But no worries. We know the (MTA) is on top of it, and you sir are necroposting. <_< I guess a few of us aren’t (MTA) apologists...

You're not necessarily an (MTA) apologist for every little opinion you have in favor of the agency. (restating the point) The issue is obviously being addressed as many will be caught so it's pointless to freak out at this stage unless hard evidence surfaces to prove they are not, which frankly could happen. Though I wouldn't begin to over speculate like this.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

You're not necessarily an (MTA) apologist for every little opinion you have in favor of the agency. (restating the point) The issue is obviously being addressed as many will be caught so it's pointless to freak out at this stage unless hard evidence surfaces to prove they are not, which frankly could happen. Though I wouldn't begin to over speculate like this.

Ha, yeah right... I stand by my comments...

8 hours ago, VIP said:

Why did the (6) get those NTTs? 

They split service into two sections, which meant trains couldn't come from Westchester, so the Manhattan segment (149-GC to City Hall) had equipment from Jerome, as well as a few R62As which I assume were moved downtown before the weekend began. 

5 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

Does anybody know why does the (M) goes to 96st-2nd Ave on weekends. Kinda don’t get that move lol

When the (L) is out, they need to send (M) up 6th to help with displaced loads. You can't turn at Queens Plaza because that'd be too smart (and because that'd require some minimal level of coordination with the ever-present QB express outages), and 57 would disrupt (F) service. The closest alternative is 96. 

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Shoutout to Albany for reaching an agreement on congestion pricing. All they need to do is vote on it (a formality) and Cuomo’s signature (another formality)

It took a commuter rail 10% cut of the profits to get it done, but it’s gonna get done.

I find it quite ironic that this site has ads against congestion pricing...

32 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I find it quite ironic that this site has ads against congestion pricing...

The site administrators don't control the ads directly. The ads are determined by what the algorithm thinks is most likely to interest the user, based on their advertising profile.

Combined with the fact that there isn't a unanimous opinion of congestion pricing on this site anyway, there's nothing particularly ironic about it.

2 hours ago, P3F said:

The site administrators don't control the ads directly. The ads are determined by what the algorithm thinks is most likely to interest the user, based on their advertising profile.

Combined with the fact that there isn't a unanimous opinion of congestion pricing on this site anyway, there's nothing particularly ironic about it.

I understand that... was just trying to point it out... congestion pricing ftw

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

14 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The question I have, however, will be what happens when motorists smarten up and congestion revenue starts falling short,

Assuming they move to other modes of transport (public...transport...even?), that revenue could very will just become fare revenue. That's the brilliance of it – you have an alternative in place so that if people are so discouraged from driving, they'd take a train or a bus (which we have lots of). These people likely still need to travel into the city, and if even a small fraction of the drivers decide to simply change their lifestyle, a vast majority still either will pony up the fee, or will switch to another mode of transit. 

4 hours ago, Enjineer said:

Assuming they move to other modes of transport (public...transport...even?), that revenue could very will just become fare revenue. That's the brilliance of it – you have an alternative in place so that if people are so discouraged from driving, they'd take a train or a bus (which we have lots of). These people likely still need to travel into the city, and if even a small fraction of the drivers decide to simply change their lifestyle, a vast majority still either will pony up the fee, or will switch to another mode of transit. 

Their strategy is farebeating.

Btw I witnessed a live installation of an OMNY machine right above Canal St (J)(Z) platform today... no vids/pics tho :[

9 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Their strategy is farebeating.

Btw I witnessed a live installation of an OMNY machine right above Canal St (J)(Z) platform today... no vids/pics tho :[

Good to know. It seems MTA is doing it faster than we thought. 

And you mentioned Canal St station, I wish MTA can re-configure the entrance/exit of JZ because it is the only one entrance for JZ and its shared with NQ (most of people wont take the long walk to RW exit). The exit is congested and too small.

2 minutes ago, whz1995 said:

Good to know. It seems MTA is doing it faster than we thought. 

And you mentioned Canal St station, I wish MTA can re-configure the entrance/exit of JZ because it is the only one entrance for JZ and its shared with NQ (most of people wont take the long walk to RW exit). The exit is congested and too small.

Oh, definitely. Took me a good 30 seconds to leave the station (from the turnstile exit). And a similar station, Grand St (B)(D) always has overcrowding issues also, probably even worse than Canal.

Edited by Bay Ridge Express
added info

Congestion pricing is a very good idea to reduce cars in the downtown core, but I don’t agree that it should be given to the MTA

MTA is horrible at managing money. They have an operating cost that RISES above inflation every year, and have never even thought to cut their own internal bureaucracy and operating practices.

I think the MTA needs reform, like maybe we need to start over, the taxpayers and us riders have enough 

38 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

I think the MTA needs reform, like maybe we need to start over, the taxpayers and us riders have enough

Wasn't part of the whole congestion pricing thing part of a reform package for the MTA (to what degree we'll see, given that it's Cuomo of course) 

6 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

Wasn't part of the whole congestion pricing thing part of a reform package for the MTA (to what degree we'll see, given that it's Cuomo of course) 

I’m not sure I like or trust Cuomo-style reform. Sometimes I think it’s better to get him out of the way.

The L train debacle is all we needed to see. We need independent eye that is not appointed by our political leaders

I know some people don’t like them, but I really like the red tiles at 49th Street (N)(R)(W). They give the station a cozy, warm, unique feeling. I know some want the station to go back to its original look, but considering the rest of the line already looks that way, I’d say we can do with this station looking differently than the rest.

1 minute ago, Cabanamaner said:

I know some people don’t like them, but I really like the red tiles at 49th Street (N)(R)(W). They give the station a cozy, warm, unique feeling. I know some want the station to go back to its original look, but considering the rest of the line already looks that way, I’d say we can do with this station looking differently than the rest.

Here is an article on the rebuild of 49th Street:

img?institutionId=0&user=527681&id=39442