SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

If only Fulton could get a 30 tph local... :(

That would require much more pull for local service, and I honestly doubt that shuffling the deck chairs to get Broadway off of Queens Boulevard and onto Fulton Street will do much to change that.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Not sure when, but 8th St-NYU finally had all of its Akzidenz Grotesk '8 St' signs replaced. 51st on the 6 also had its A-G pillar signs replaced, but the column ones remain (trickier to fabricate). Shame to see these go.

Must have been very recent because I could have sworn I saw one there last week.

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Not sure when, but 8th St-NYU finally had all of its Akzidenz Grotesk '8 St' signs replaced. 51st on the 6 also had its A-G pillar signs replaced, but the column ones remain (trickier to fabricate). Shame to see these go.

The replacement signs are cheap to make and the (MTA) makes a quick buck selling the old signs online.

I did find the AG signs easier on the eyes tho... I don’t know why, since Helvética is almost the same thing...

11 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Must have been very recent because I could have sworn I saw one there last week.

I only saw one side of the platform, so it's possible one or two stuck around. Another issue has been the massive amount of theft lately (one guy on eBay has made a killing) that has left the MTA replacing piece by piece.

9 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The replacement signs are cheap to make and the (MTA) makes a quick buck selling the old signs online.

I did find the AG signs easier on the eyes tho... I don’t know why, since Helvética is almost the same thing...

They should be selling more of them online! Only some make it up there.

There are a few differences to my mind: firstly, nearly all the replacements are tin with a matte protective finish (doesn't work) instead of porcelain enamel, so you lose that gloss. Then you've the fact that the MTA seems to use a wonky version of Helvetica Neue, which they space out terribly. The W 4 signs look atrocious, whereas the A-G signs were all appropriately spaced. It's just shoddy work as a whole.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:04 PM, VIP said:

Looks like that subway action plan to deep clean 3000 cars is in effect. Most of the (7)’s fleet has been deep cleaned and some of Coney Island’s R160’s. The difference between the “dirty” cars and the deep cleaned cars are very very noticeable. Side note: I never understood why some of transit’s regular wash facilities couldn’t produce this. 

Waste of money and human resources... every time a homeless pitches a tent on a train, all the work is undone immediately.

On 4/4/2019 at 8:24 PM, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I could see both the former option happening realistically and I support it, it has happened many times before and people deal with it good enough. The latter option may come a little bit later eventually since that bridge is fine. 

That sounds like a legal nightmare frankly between the (MTA) and the city, it'll take years for that idea to pass in the area (if at all). I'd focus on making the raising and closing process of the bridge quicker and/or more reliable for now, or raising it higher.  

The bridge boat traffic is under the control of the US Coast Guard, not the city or the MTA. It's a navigable channel. Boat traffic gets priority.

24 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

The bridge boat traffic is under the control of the US Coast Guard, not the city or the MTA. It's a navigable channel. Boat traffic gets priority.

That makes sense. I was always under the belief that this was the tight control of the city.

The bridge still needs to be upgraded or replaced in my opinion, make it faster for both boats and trains to pass through.  

44 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

That makes sense. I was always under the belief that this was the tight control of the city.

The bridge still needs to be upgraded or replaced in my opinion, make it faster for both boats and trains to pass through.  

We could go as far as to build a second, higher bridge next to the old one and then take down the older one (connecting the leads might knock out service past BC for a few months you could just lower express bus and LIRR fares and run a free shuttle to BC).

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

Waste of money and human resources... every time a homeless pitches a tent on a train, all the work is undone immediately.

Homeless don't pitch a tent on the outside, though. The deep cleaning also makes the exteriors look far better – some R160s and R188s looked really, really crappy with tons of black smears. 

4 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

I find that stupid honestly. Trains should have priority because they're carrying PASSENGERS. Boats arent going anywhere.

5 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

I believe the Coast Guard was the agency that determined the clearance specifications for all bridges constructed in the country. Navigation is considered a defense issue. That’s why certain US Navy vessels were constructed by different shipyards. Carry on.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Some dude bought a bunch of plants on the train...

Considering all the other crap that makes it onto the subway, this one's relatively tame. At least he's somewhat considerate. Free oxygen for when the train's emergency brakes go off.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven