SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Today's Cherry blossom outcome

Seems like it was poor planning on many accounts – good weather also probably caused even more crowds than expected. Reportedly not just the subway was jammed – the bridge was closed to traffic, ferries were packed, and the tram had giant lines. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

Seems like it was poor planning on many accounts – good weather also probably caused even more crowds than expected. Reportedly not just the subway was jammed – the bridge was closed to traffic, ferries were packed, and the tram had giant lines. 

What a great place to have a festival… large crowd, limited ability to get in and out of the island… I hope they had security tight. That sounds like a terrorist’s wet dream.

1 hour ago, Enjineer said:

So there was no bus service to Queens Plaza, where one can take the (E) or (R) to get home?

58 minutes ago, CenSin said:

What a great place to have a festival… large crowd, limited ability to get in and out of the island… I hope they had security tight. That sounds like a terrorist’s wet dream.

It will be a disaster for the rest of us.

10 hours ago, CenSin said:

I think you're the only one whose mind went there.

Shifting gears to lighter things, I just realized that with the extension of the (M) at the end of the month, this'll be the first time in a long time there will be three scheduled services running on 6th Avenue during off-hours. The last time this occurred, service was provided by the (B)(D) and the (F). Weekend (B) service ended in 2001 with the Manhattan Bridge flip while late night service was suspended back in 1977 as part of ongoing service cuts that would see both the :B: and :N: cut back to shuttles during the overnight hours.

23 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

So there was no bus service to Queens Plaza, where one can take the (E) or (R) to get home?

It will be a disaster for the rest of us.

I don't think buses would have been good enough. The (E) is serving Roosevelt Island this weekend,  some put-ins would have helped.

The (E) is running on 63rd St and Broadway, The (F) is running on 53rd St and 8th Ave.  The QBL had frequent service with the (E)(F)(R) going local, they could have diverted some (R) trains through 63rd street, to pick up some slack.  

I wonder if they asked riders to use Jamaica bound trains for access to other lines.

9 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I don't think buses would have been good enough. The (E) is serving Roosevelt Island this weekend,  some put-ins would have helped.

The (E) is running on 63rd St and Broadway, The (F) is running on 53rd St and 8th Ave.  The QBL had frequent service with the (E)(F)(R) going local, they could have diverted some (R) trains through 63rd street, to pick up some slack.  

I wonder if they asked riders to use Jamaica bound trains for access to other lines.

I don’t know if this would’ve been a stretch, but wouldn’t it been more efficient to send ALL the (R) trains through 63rd to pick up the slack. I’m pretty sure the (R) was empty between Queens Plaza and 34th Street-Herald Sq so it wouldn’t hurt to send trains through there.

And Yea, i agree they should’ve encouraged back-riding for other trains, including the (7).

10 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

The QBL had frequent service with the (E)(F)(R) going local, they could have diverted some (R) trains through 63rd street, to pick up some slack.  

They did... It messed up the rest of the line because a 63rd train and a 60th train would often arrive at 57th at the same time... Huge gaps going Brooklyn bound.

3 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

They did... It messed up the rest of the line because a 63rd train and a 60th train would often arrive at 57th at the same time... Huge gaps going Brooklyn bound.

Ideally, that shouldn't have been the case. Even with a lot of people getting on at Roosevelt Island and subsequent stops, it shouldn't have produced the bunching to that effect. But I do think it was the lack of additional (E) service which made everything go south. Some intervals, there were no (R) trains in between the (E) . Too bad the Q102 was no where to be found (for it couldn't even enter the island-go figure).

Since that was the case, I wonder if  those 63rd Street trains should have stayed on the express until below 14th, in order to reduce gaps.  But then again, it would be a merging headache.

4 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I don’t know if this would’ve been a stretch, but wouldn’t it been more efficient to send ALL the (R) trains through 63rd to pick up the slack. I’m pretty sure the (R) was empty between Queens Plaza and 34th Street-Herald Sq so it wouldn’t hurt to send trains through there.

LOL!

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

35 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

LOL!

What I meant was that the (R) might have had surplus room for extra people to board, so I though they should’ve rerouted all the (R) go via 63rd to pick up more people there.

But nope, what ended up happening was this ended up blooming into a commuting nightmare. L

And given how I feel that what happened at the cheery blossom festival might happen with the weekend (L) service under the new (L) train plan, there must be some explanation for all the shadiness from the (MTA).

Edited by JeremiahC99

6 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

What I meant was that the (R) might have had surplus room for extra people to board, so I though they should’ve rerouted all the (R) go via 63rd to pick up more people there.

But nope, what ended up happening was this ended up blooming into a commuting nightmare. L

And given how I feel that what happened at the cheery blossom festival might happen with the weekend (L) service under the new (L) train plan, there must be some explanation for all the shadiness from the (MTA).

Speaking of which, How well does CBTC handle bi-directional track sharing?  For example if one track under the river is out for track work. couldn't they send trains in waves for more throughput ?

Send 3 trains across to 8th Ave, once the 3rd train is at Union Square, you can send 3 (they'd be queued at 8th Ave, 6th and Union Square) back across to Brooklyn. once they cross Over east of Bedford Ave, send the next 3. 

Random thought: the MTA seemed to have stopped adding the yellow looped stanchions, floor mats and switching fluorescent lighting to LED on their R62A’s and R160’s... even on R160A 8440 there’s only four of them in that car when it’s supposed to have 5 of them. 

7 hours ago, VIP said:

Random thought: the MTA seemed to have stopped adding the yellow looped stanchions, floor mats and switching fluorescent lighting to LED on their R62A’s and R160’s... even on R160A 8440 there’s only four of them in that car when it’s supposed to have 5 of them. 

What I find interesting is that all the non cuomo wrapped R160’s from Jamaica didn’t receive those upgrades yet, despite several R46’s there receiving them. 

I never been a fan with the way the MTA does these upgrades and such. They just seem to pick random sets to do and then just randomly stop upgrades all together. 

49 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

I dont know if its just me...But the last couple of days ive notice more R46's on the (C) than R32's and R179's

The R32s have definitely begun to show their age with a myriad of mechanical problems recently, while some R179s have been having similar issues too. The R179s were pulled from service a few months ago for mechanical issues as well.

We often talk about Chambers Street (J) and Broadway (G) as some of the most disgusting stations in the system, but how about 205th Street (D)? I can’t remember a time where this stations WASNT suffering from constant water damage, garbage bags galore, and restrooms nasty enough to give you the courage to hold it in until you get home. There’s even a vomit-like substance near a column that, over the course of the past few months, has basically FUSED with the floor. This station needs some TLC desperately.

Edited by Cabanamaner

On 4/14/2019 at 9:51 AM, Lance said:

I think you're the only one whose mind went there.

As in Star Wars: “to boldly go where no man has gone before!” :D

23 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Speaking of which, How well does CBTC handle bi-directional track sharing?  For example if one track under the river is out for track work. couldn't they send trains in waves for more throughput ?

Since it’s CBTC, I’d assume that the algorithm is adjustable within the safety parameters?

8 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

The R32s have definitely begun to show their age with a myriad of mechanical problems recently, while some R179s have been having similar issues too. The R179s were pulled from service a few months ago for mechanical issues as well.

Those issues were fixed as more 179s have been delivered and placed into service on the (C).

On 4/16/2019 at 10:32 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

What I find interesting is that all the non cuomo wrapped R160’s from Jamaica didn’t receive those upgrades yet, despite several R46’s there receiving them. 

I never been a fan with the way the MTA does these upgrades and such. They just seem to pick random sets to do and then just randomly stop upgrades all together. 

(MTA) probably: We’ll just stop wasting money on these cosmetic upgrades when Albany gets off our back.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

(MTA) probably: We’ll just stop wasting money on these cosmetic upgrades when Albany gets off our back.

I mean...to give at least a little credit, the looped stanchions they add are good for passengers, since they effectively double the space to hold on each one