SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, CenSin said:

Since it’s CBTC, I’d assume that the algorithm is adjustable within the safety parameters?

Trains on 20 min headway seems like they're alternating sending one train back and forth though the tunnel when theoretically they can send 2 or 3 trains at a time every 10-15 mins.  Have short turns and put-ins at Myrtle, Broadway Junction and Canarsie. 

Unless the idea is just to provide enough service to say they're providing service but essentially make people take alternatives.

23 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Random thought... why does the PA system never work? (or at least, 50% of the time)

The intercom system from the old tech is an eyesore. There were earlier two tests on two better intercom systems for the (G) train when it had the additional improvements, one of which included two new intercom systems that were different from the one installed for the (NYCT). Nevertheless, for the awkward two-step intercom system on the new tech,  I am almost certain that most of the conductors press the main intercom button (that is, the PA), and do their announcements without even activating the button for the microphone. Perhaps they believe that the two-step intercom system on the new tech is almost like the older intercom system, but it is not like that - like what I saw when I was waiting at 34th Street for the (D) train. There was a third (F) train that came and I saw how the conductor made his announcements via the intercom. This means that the new tech intercoms work, but they are either prone to fail or the conductors do not know that the new tech intercoms have an additional step before making announcements.

Edited by 4 via Mosholu

There was interesting movement on the (D) train I was on today. The (D) arrived at the local track of Columbus Circle because there was a (C) at the express track. Then the (D) kept running at the local track to 72nd St and used that switch to switch express track instead of using switch at Columbus Circle. 

Starting the 27th (Saturdays), (7) trains will have the headways to 4 minutes from 5-6 minutes. Maybe, Sunday will change as well for the (L) . 

An add on for the METS fans. 

--

Also, with the upcoming (L) train: there will only be 10-12 trains total on weekends. 

Edited by Calvin

56 minutes ago, whz1995 said:

Then the (D) kept running at the local track to 72nd St and used that switch to switch express track instead of using switch at Columbus Circle. 

I've never seen that used before. I've always wondered why they never used it for disruption reroutes!

3 hours ago, Enjineer said:

I've never seen that used before. I've always wondered why they never used it for disruption reroutes!

I’ve actually been on a couple of D trains that do this, mainly during rush hours when the express tracks are clogged with too many trains. It’s pretty awesome seeing trains use non-revenue tracks/switches during their regular routes.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:33 PM, Enjineer said:

One time I saw something like "local trains are  express between 81st st and Columbus Circle due to NYPD activities" on the MTA website, so I assume that they did use the switch to skip 72nd st. Despite of the (D) was running slow before switching the express track, it is great to see this.

On 4/17/2019 at 10:37 PM, whz1995 said:

There was interesting movement on the (D) train I was on today. The (D) arrived at the local track of Columbus Circle because there was a (C) at the express track. Then the (D) kept running at the local track to 72nd St and used that switch to switch express track instead of using switch at Columbus Circle. 

I've been on (B)(C)  and (D) Trains that has done that before except the last time which was back in 2016, this (D) Train I was on did the opposite. We continue on the express until 72nd Street and then switch over to the local track and went local afterwards. I believe it was due to a police activity at 125th Street.

Now that they've axed the (L) shutdown, will they still lengthen (G) trains? They always seemed overcrowded anyway, and I know the feeling** of coming down to the platform on the staircase that's too far away to the train as its doors close. Are they still going to fix the tunnel using the 3-year plan?

**Although it's been a while since I've had this feeling.

34 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Now that they've axed the (L) shutdown, will they still lengthen (G) trains? They always seemed overcrowded anyway, and I know the feeling** of coming down to the platform on the staircase that's too far away to the train as its doors close. Are they still going to fix the tunnel using the 3-year plan?

**Although it's been a while since I've had this feeling.

No , they said they’re increasing the frequency instead of lengthening it 

Just after getting off the (Q) train at 96th Street I was shocked to see water damage on the ceilings of the station, given that it only opened two years ago. The same thing has happened at Hudson Yards on the (7) not long ago. Is it that the state of the subway is fragile due to the city's geography, or does it have something to do with poor quality waterproofing during times of bad weather? I don't understand...

This tells me that the Second Avenue Subway is just about to become another Archer Avenue Subway, where all three of the stations are literally falling apart due to water intrusion. And the stations along the 63rd Street (F) line (especially Roosevelt Island) are just as bad...

Edited by lara8710

On 4/20/2019 at 10:34 AM, Maxwell179 said:

If MTA had continued the local tracks of the Broadway Line under Central Park , where do you think it would’ve went 

Those tunnel stubs were actually meant to send the Broadway Line up the Upper West Side. This would’ve been done to compete with the IND CPW Line (A)(B)(C)(D) and IRT’s Broadway Line (1) 

12 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I may have asked this before but I don't recall, does anyone know if announcements have been recorded for the Staten Island Railway?

They'll have to be recorded at some point for the R211S...

R211 uses the computer generated voice, its not the traditional pre-recorded messages like on the older NTT's.