SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

4 hours ago, Lance said:

The infrequent intervals are due to the lowered capacity in the tunnels and the track layout. They have to run single-track operations from Bedford Av to Union Square, which makes it impossible to run much more service than what is already being put out.

Meh. I can't say I'm surprised. I think I've mentioned this before, but using Ms. Mitchell speeds up the process of updating the announcements. It's all inhouse now as opposed to before where they had to work around the schedules of the Bloomberg gang to get new recordings completed.

Not that having a new (different sounding) person is not a problem nowadays but MTA usually goes with a splicing method when it comes to new announcements.

By the way we already had (L) announcements to Lorimer Street, it's just it was "updated" probably to tell anyone on board that it's recommended to use the alternatives.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Not that having a new (different sounding) person is not a problem nowadays but MTA usually goes with a splicing method when it comes to new announcements.

By the way we already had (L) announcements to Lorimer Street, it's just it was "updated" probably to tell anyone on board that it's recommended to use the alternatives.

Yeah but Mitchell is a horrible announcer. I dont know who did the Clark St shutdown transfers but she should be hired back because it's just plain horrible.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah but Mitchell is a horrible announcer. I dont know who did the Clark St shutdown transfers but she should be hired back because it's just plain horrible.

Be careful what you wish for. Word on the street is the R211’s are going to be primarily text to speech announcements, similar to what the new buses are receiving.

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Be careful what you wish for. Word on the street is the R211’s are going to be primarily text to speech announcements, similar to what the new buses are receiving.

Good, so those who are hearing impaired can understand the announcements too.

5 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I rather have a robot do announcements rather than someone who dosen't sound professional do the announcements.

14 hours ago, lara8710 said:

Does anyone know why Hudson Yards and the Second Avenue Subway are already suffering from water leakage? I mean, it's shocking how such new stations are now falling victim to the same fate as Archer Avenue despite being the newest ones in the system...

Same reason South Ferry was leaking back in 2010 and until the whole thing became a bathtub in 2012, lack of waterproofing. You'd think that would be the most obvious thing to include in the design specs seeing as this isn't the Mojave Desert, but here we are. Again.

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Catherine Cowdery, voice of most of the B-Division for those unaware, did those transfer announcements.

5 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Unlike the bus AAS program, which was just rolled out fairly recently across the board, there is already an existing AAS setup for the trains. Since I cannot imagine Transit maintaining two distinct systems, I wouldn't be surprised if the 211s are outfitted with an upgraded version of the setup found on the rest of the existing NTTs. Then again, I've been saying for a while now that the present setup needs to be upgraded to be more flexible, so who knows?

17 hours ago, Lance said:

The infrequent intervals are due to the lowered capacity in the tunnels and the track layout. They have to run single-track operations from Bedford Av to Union Square, which makes it impossible to run much more service than what is already being put out.

Yes, so run the shuttle on the east bound track between 8th Ave and Union Square. 3 stops, easy to go back and forth, allow users to between between subway 4 lines, avoid reliance on M14 select bus snail. And if the Queue to Brooklyn is long, there is service in the opposite direction that will take you to alternative lines.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Same reason South Ferry was leaking back in 2010 and until the whole thing became a bathtub in 2012, lack of waterproofing. You'd think that would be the most obvious thing to include in the design specs seeing as this isn't the Mojave Desert, but here we are. Again.

Wow, I thought waterproofing was standard?

2 hours ago, Lance said:

Catherine Cowdery, voice of most of the B-Division for those unaware, did those transfer announcements.

I'll believe it when I see it. Unlike the bus AAS program, which was just rolled out fairly recently across the board, there is already an existing AAS setup for the trains. Since I cannot imagine Transit maintaining two distinct systems, I wouldn't be surprised if the 211s are outfitted with an upgraded version of the setup found on the rest of the existing NTTs. Then again, I've been saying for a while now that the present setup needs to be upgraded to be more flexible, so who knows?

The LIRR hired a new person to re-record the automated announcements for the M9s, so nothing would surprise me.

28 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

--announcement video--

Please for the love of THESE ARE HORRIBLE!

Unpopular opinion: She's not that terrible. Sure she just needs better recording equipment and needs to drop her NY accent but at the end of the day, she's only there at (MTA) for what she's always been doing at her job: to give information. From a regular commuter perspective, frankly i don't give two shits. If she can articulate that this train is terminating early better than the conductor over a quiet or distorted intercom, then power to her.  

Now if anything, those butchered announcements that were tested on one of the R142 (2) & (5) trains were horrendous. The bare minimum just doesn't cut it sometimes...especially if it made no difference in cutting down dwell times.

4 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Yes, so run the shuttle on the east bound track between 8th Ave and Union Square. 3 stops, easy to go back and forth, allow users to travel between the 4 subway lines, avoid reliance on M14 select bus snail. And if the Queue to Brooklyn is long, there is service in the opposite direction that will take you to alternative lines.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Please for the love of THESE ARE HORRIBLE!

Those announcements seem like they had the shuttle plan in mind.

5 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Yes, so run the shuttle on the east bound track between 8th Ave and Union Square. 3 stops, easy to go back and forth, allow users to between between subway 4 lines, avoid reliance on M14 select bus snail. And if the Queue to Brooklyn is long, there is service in the opposite direction that will take you to alternative lines.

...and make service even more of a joke than it already is.

The best move is to not run the (L) west of Bedford Avenue at all and provide beefed-up bus, ferry, and subway alternatives at all times (you know, what the plan was before Cuomo decided he somehow knew better than those who actually deal with transit).

1 minute ago, Lex said:

...and make service even more of a joke than it already is.

The best move is to not run the (L) west of Bedford Avenue at all and provide beefed-up bus, ferry, and subway alternatives at all times (you know, what the plan was before Cuomo decided he somehow knew better than those who actually deal with transit).

I agree, shut it down, get it over with. Especially since they were going to make improvements to a few of the stations.

On 4/26/2019 at 4:12 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

I don't think that the IRT would have traveled very far directly up Lafayette considering that the BMT  Myrtle and Lexington Els surround Lafayette up to Broadway. Just my opinion.  Carry on. 

According to this they planned to run it to at least Broadway.

800px-1910_IRT_plan.png

9 hours ago, Lance said:

I suppose it has to do with budget "constraints", though I suspect there's more to why our construction costs are so damn high when subways in other cities across the world (and the US!) are able to build more stations for less money without suffering the same fate as the NYC subway. My perspective says water leakage is a consequence of the unique geography of NYC where subway lines traverse rivers and areas close to the water table...

14 hours ago, RTSTdrive said:

Unpopular opinion: She's not that terrible. Sure she just needs better recording equipment and needs to drop her NY accent but at the end of the day, she's only there at (MTA) for what she's always been doing at her job: to give information. From a regular commuter perspective, frankly i don't give two shits. If she can articulate that this train is terminating early better than the conductor over a quiet or distorted intercom, then power to her.

Ditto. She doesn't sound as bad as she did when they started using her recordings last year. At least she no longer sounds like she has something in her mouth in her newest recordings.

10 hours ago, lara8710 said:

I suppose it has to do with budget "constraints", though I suspect there's more to why our construction costs are so damn high when subways in other cities across the world (and the US!) are able to build more stations for less money without suffering the same fate as the NYC subway. My perspective says water leakage is a consequence of the unique geography of NYC where subway lines traverse rivers and areas close to the water table...

While the costs of construction are way too high comparatively, it makes no sense to skimp out on such bare necessities like waterproofing simply because they cost too much. They'll just have to pay for it eventually anyhow since ongoing leaks deteriorate the structure after a while.

9 hours ago, Enjineer said:

So, the (L) destination signs are...special, to say the least...

<video>

I get what they were trying to accomplish, using the full name to indicate which line to transfer to for alternate service. However, simply using "Lorimer St" for the destination signs works just as well. And it doesn't take an age to scroll across.