Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

(L) to the (G) train : Velina Mitchell voices the (L) to Lorimer St-Metropolitian Av bound train

Edited by Calvin
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

(Also, have they thought about running more frequent Manhattan shuttles to get people between alternative subway lines?:

The infrequent intervals are due to the lowered capacity in the tunnels and the track layout. They have to run single-track operations from Bedford Av to Union Square, which makes it impossible to run much more service than what is already being put out.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

(L) to the (G) train : Velina Mitchell voices the (L) to Lorimer St-Metropolitian Av bound train

Meh. I can't say I'm surprised. I think I've mentioned this before, but using Ms. Mitchell speeds up the process of updating the announcements. It's all inhouse now as opposed to before where they had to work around the schedules of the Bloomberg gang to get new recordings completed.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Does anyone know why Hudson Yards and the Second Avenue Subway are already suffering from water leakage? I mean, it's shocking how such new stations are now falling victim to the same fate as Archer Avenue despite being the newest ones in the system...

Edited by lara8710

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lance said:

The infrequent intervals are due to the lowered capacity in the tunnels and the track layout. They have to run single-track operations from Bedford Av to Union Square, which makes it impossible to run much more service than what is already being put out.

Meh. I can't say I'm surprised. I think I've mentioned this before, but using Ms. Mitchell speeds up the process of updating the announcements. It's all inhouse now as opposed to before where they had to work around the schedules of the Bloomberg gang to get new recordings completed.

Not that having a new (different sounding) person is not a problem nowadays but MTA usually goes with a splicing method when it comes to new announcements.

By the way we already had (L) announcements to Lorimer Street, it's just it was "updated" probably to tell anyone on board that it's recommended to use the alternatives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Not that having a new (different sounding) person is not a problem nowadays but MTA usually goes with a splicing method when it comes to new announcements.

By the way we already had (L) announcements to Lorimer Street, it's just it was "updated" probably to tell anyone on board that it's recommended to use the alternatives.

Yeah but Mitchell is a horrible announcer. I dont know who did the Clark St shutdown transfers but she should be hired back because it's just plain horrible.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah but Mitchell is a horrible announcer. I dont know who did the Clark St shutdown transfers but she should be hired back because it's just plain horrible.

Be careful what you wish for. Word on the street is the R211’s are going to be primarily text to speech announcements, similar to what the new buses are receiving.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Be careful what you wish for. Word on the street is the R211’s are going to be primarily text to speech announcements, similar to what the new buses are receiving.

Good, so those who are hearing impaired can understand the announcements too.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Be careful what you wish for. Word on the street is the R211’s are going to be primarily text to speech announcements, similar to what the new buses are receiving.

I rather have a robot do announcements rather than someone who dosen't sound professional do the announcements.

  • LMAO! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, lara8710 said:

Does anyone know why Hudson Yards and the Second Avenue Subway are already suffering from water leakage? I mean, it's shocking how such new stations are now falling victim to the same fate as Archer Avenue despite being the newest ones in the system...

Same reason South Ferry was leaking back in 2010 and until the whole thing became a bathtub in 2012, lack of waterproofing. You'd think that would be the most obvious thing to include in the design specs seeing as this isn't the Mojave Desert, but here we are. Again.

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah but Mitchell is a horrible announcer. I dont know who did the Clark St shutdown transfers but she should be hired back because it's just plain horrible.

Catherine Cowdery, voice of most of the B-Division for those unaware, did those transfer announcements.

5 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Be careful what you wish for. Word on the street is the R211’s are going to be primarily text to speech announcements, similar to what the new buses are receiving.

I'll believe it when I see it. Unlike the bus AAS program, which was just rolled out fairly recently across the board, there is already an existing AAS setup for the trains. Since I cannot imagine Transit maintaining two distinct systems, I wouldn't be surprised if the 211s are outfitted with an upgraded version of the setup found on the rest of the existing NTTs. Then again, I've been saying for a while now that the present setup needs to be upgraded to be more flexible, so who knows?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lance said:

The infrequent intervals are due to the lowered capacity in the tunnels and the track layout. They have to run single-track operations from Bedford Av to Union Square, which makes it impossible to run much more service than what is already being put out.

Yes, so run the shuttle on the east bound track between 8th Ave and Union Square. 3 stops, easy to go back and forth, allow users to between between subway 4 lines, avoid reliance on M14 select bus snail. And if the Queue to Brooklyn is long, there is service in the opposite direction that will take you to alternative lines.

 

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Same reason South Ferry was leaking back in 2010 and until the whole thing became a bathtub in 2012, lack of waterproofing. You'd think that would be the most obvious thing to include in the design specs seeing as this isn't the Mojave Desert, but here we are. Again.

Wow, I thought waterproofing was standard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lance said:

Same reason South Ferry was leaking back in 2010 and until the whole thing became a bathtub in 2012, lack of waterproofing. You'd think that would be the most obvious thing to include in the design specs seeing as this isn't the Mojave Desert, but here we are. Again.

Catherine Cowdery, voice of most of the B-Division for those unaware, did those transfer announcements.

I'll believe it when I see it. Unlike the bus AAS program, which was just rolled out fairly recently across the board, there is already an existing AAS setup for the trains. Since I cannot imagine Transit maintaining two distinct systems, I wouldn't be surprised if the 211s are outfitted with an upgraded version of the setup found on the rest of the existing NTTs. Then again, I've been saying for a while now that the present setup needs to be upgraded to be more flexible, so who knows?

The LIRR hired a new person to re-record the automated announcements for the M9s, so nothing would surprise me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
28 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

--announcement video--

Please for the love of THESE ARE HORRIBLE!

Unpopular opinion: She's not that terrible. Sure she just needs better recording equipment and needs to drop her NY accent but at the end of the day, she's only there at (MTA) for what she's always been doing at her job: to give information. From a regular commuter perspective, frankly i don't give two shits. If she can articulate that this train is terminating early better than the conductor over a quiet or distorted intercom, then power to her.  

Now if anything, those butchered announcements that were tested on one of the R142 (2) & (5) trains were horrendous. The bare minimum just doesn't cut it sometimes...especially if it made no difference in cutting down dwell times.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Yes, so run the shuttle on the east bound track between 8th Ave and Union Square. 3 stops, easy to go back and forth, allow users to travel between the 4 subway lines, avoid reliance on M14 select bus snail. And if the Queue to Brooklyn is long, there is service in the opposite direction that will take you to alternative lines.

 

 

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Please for the love of THESE ARE HORRIBLE!

Those announcements seem like they had the shuttle plan in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Yes, so run the shuttle on the east bound track between 8th Ave and Union Square. 3 stops, easy to go back and forth, allow users to between between subway 4 lines, avoid reliance on M14 select bus snail. And if the Queue to Brooklyn is long, there is service in the opposite direction that will take you to alternative lines.

...and make service even more of a joke than it already is.

The best move is to not run the (L) west of Bedford Avenue at all and provide beefed-up bus, ferry, and subway alternatives at all times (you know, what the plan was before Cuomo decided he somehow knew better than those who actually deal with transit).

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lex said:

...and make service even more of a joke than it already is.

The best move is to not run the (L) west of Bedford Avenue at all and provide beefed-up bus, ferry, and subway alternatives at all times (you know, what the plan was before Cuomo decided he somehow knew better than those who actually deal with transit).

I agree, shut it down, get it over with. Especially since they were going to make improvements to a few of the stations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 4:12 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

I don't think that the IRT would have traveled very far directly up Lafayette considering that the BMT  Myrtle and Lexington Els surround Lafayette up to Broadway. Just my opinion.  Carry on. 

According to this they planned to run it to at least Broadway.

800px-1910_IRT_plan.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lance said:

Same reason South Ferry was leaking back in 2010 and until the whole thing became a bathtub in 2012, lack of waterproofing. You'd think that would be the most obvious thing to include in the design specs seeing as this isn't the Mojave Desert, but here we are. Again.

I suppose it has to do with budget "constraints", though I suspect there's more to why our construction costs are so damn high when subways in other cities across the world (and the US!) are able to build more stations for less money without suffering the same fate as the NYC subway. My perspective says water leakage is a consequence of the unique geography of NYC where subway lines traverse rivers and areas close to the water table...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 142s/142As seem to have the most solid sounding horns in the system. Perfect tone to it and rarely do they sound off. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, brakethrow said:

The 142s/142As seem to have the most solid sounding horns in the system. Perfect tone to it and rarely do they sound off. 

The ones on the 46s sound so bad its good.🤣

Edited by Q23 via 108
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RTSTdrive said:

Unpopular opinion: She's not that terrible. Sure she just needs better recording equipment and needs to drop her NY accent but at the end of the day, she's only there at (MTA) for what she's always been doing at her job: to give information. From a regular commuter perspective, frankly i don't give two shits. If she can articulate that this train is terminating early better than the conductor over a quiet or distorted intercom, then power to her.

Ditto. She doesn't sound as bad as she did when they started using her recordings last year. At least she no longer sounds like she has something in her mouth in her newest recordings.

10 hours ago, lara8710 said:

I suppose it has to do with budget "constraints", though I suspect there's more to why our construction costs are so damn high when subways in other cities across the world (and the US!) are able to build more stations for less money without suffering the same fate as the NYC subway. My perspective says water leakage is a consequence of the unique geography of NYC where subway lines traverse rivers and areas close to the water table...

While the costs of construction are way too high comparatively, it makes no sense to skimp out on such bare necessities like waterproofing simply because they cost too much. They'll just have to pay for it eventually anyhow since ongoing leaks deteriorate the structure after a while.

9 hours ago, Enjineer said:

So, the (L) destination signs are...special, to say the least...

<video>

I get what they were trying to accomplish, using the full name to indicate which line to transfer to for alternate service. However, simply using "Lorimer St" for the destination signs works just as well. And it doesn't take an age to scroll across.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Enjineer said:

So, the (L) destination signs are...special, to say the least...Om96bSb.jpg

The R143s just say Lorimer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.