Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Has anyone else brought up the fact “DeKalb Av” is mispronounced on the (L) and (Q)?

Posted (edited)

MDBF numbers for March 2019..

R188 New: 586, 702

R188 Conversion sets: 207, 656 

R160: 237, 565

R143: 96, 309

R142: 173, 003

R142A: 97, 670

R68A: 93,379

R68: 70, 819

R62A: 106, 389

R62: 296, 979

R46: 66, 834

R42: 24, 268

R32: 36, 258

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

MDBF numbers for March 2019..

R188 New: 586, 702

R188 Conversion sets: 207, 656 

R160: 237, 565

R143: 96, 309

R142: 173, 003

R142A: 97, 670

R68A: 93,379

R68: 70, 819

R62A: 106, 389

R62: 296, 979

R46: 66, 834

R42: 24, 268

R32: 36, 258

still amazing that the R62 cars are doing the best out of the fleet (except for the factory-fresh R188 trains)

10 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

still amazing that the R62 cars are doing the best out of the fleet (except for the factory-fresh R188 trains)

Is it possible if they would retire the R62As before the R62s?

Posted (edited)

I always did like R62 (3) Kawasaki cars more than R62A (1)(6)(S)-42 St Bombardier cars. Even back when R62 were on (4) .

Edited by bwwnyc123

On 5/2/2019 at 6:42 PM, CTK246 said:

Has anyone else brought up the fact “DeKalb Av” is mispronounced on the (L) and (Q)?

As long as it’s close to “Dee-Kalb” or “Deh-Kalb”, I really don’t mind it.

On-board the (M) today to Myrtle Av from 34 St until 14 St, the crowd starts to pickup. All seats were filled along 8-cars of the train and at Essex St too with a few standees on the train. 

Posted (edited)

Here's a list of what I think to be the 10 most deteriorated stations (this is in no specific order and is also based only on stations that I have been to)

1. Bowery (J)(Z) 

2. Norwood-205th (D) 

3. Broadway (G) 

4. West 4th (A)(C)(E)(B)(D)(F)(M) 

5.  6th Av (L) 

6. East Broadway (F) 

7. 2nd Av (F) 

8. Hoyt-Schermerhorn (A)(C)(G) 

9. 149th St-Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5) 

10. Chambers (J)(Z) 

Edited by R68OnBroadway
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Here's a list of what I think to be the 10 most deteriorated stations (this is in no specific order and is also based only on stations that I have been to)

1. Bowery (J)(Z) 

2. Norwood-205th (D) 

3. Broadway (G) 

4. West 4th (A)(C)(E)(B)(D)(F)(M) 

5.  6th Av (L) 

6. East Broadway (F) 

7. 2nd Av (F) 

8. Hoyt-Schermerhorn (A)(C)(G) 

9. 149th St-Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5) 

10. Chambers (J)(Z) 

Got to put 21 Van Alast (G).

• Upvote 2

On 5/2/2019 at 8:54 PM, darkstar8983 said:

True, but R62s don't have to make full 24/7 service, which means they're always going to have better MDBF numbers. It looks like the R68A/R68 difference has shrunk, which might have to do with increased R68A use now that they're in regular use on more than the B/G alone.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

True, but R62s don't have to make full 24/7 service, which means they're always going to have better MDBF numbers. It looks like the R68A/R68 difference has shrunk, which might have to do with increased R68A use now that they're in regular use on more than the B/G alone.

It would be interesting to see how each individual line's MDBF is. you would expect to see the same trend:

Cars assigned to the (3)(5) (7) (B) (J) (M)(N) (W) would have higher MDBF because most of their fleet is out of service on weekends

*The (M) may be affected by now having to provide 7-day service to Midtown 

Cars assigned to the (C) (G) (L) (Q) lines would therefore have lower MDBF because their cars have to run more or less the same frequency of service 7-days a week.

Edited by darkstar8983

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

It would be interesting to see how each individual line's MDBF is. you would expect to see the same trend:

Cars assigned to the (3)(5) (7) (B) (J) (M)(N) (W) would have higher MDBF because most of their fleet is out of service on weekends

Cars assigned to the (C) (G) (L) (Q) lines would therefore have lower MDBF because their cars have to run more or less the same frequency of service 7-days a week.

I'd think the (7) also would have the (M) effect since it's also being boosted outside of weekday rush hours because of the L project

3 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Just seen a set of 92xx cars on the (Q) train with ads for I love New York. 

There is one in the 87xxs with it as well.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

There is one in the 87xxs with it as well.

Looks like they may have those ads on other lines. Who knows wraps may be on the way. I mean the (S) shuttle- 42nd street has them already.  

5 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (2) and (5) pool equipment and have a near-1:1 ratio of cars in service to spares.

If the R179’s on the (C) are performing well, I don’t see why East New York Can’t run them in (M) service very soon. 

56 minutes ago, VIP said:

If the R179’s on the (C) are performing well, I don’t see why East New York Can’t run them in (M) service very soon. 

I would say R179 are doing well and solid on the (J)  although  the MDBF of 90k miles does not really support my claim. I haven't seen "Door problem" on the (J) for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lex said:

The (2) and (5) pool equipment and have a near-1:1 ratio of cars in service to spares.

as a pool maybe you're right. I was referring to individually because the (5) runs about 8 out of 41 train sets on the weekends (12-20 minute headways, much shorter route).

If considering a pool, this could be why the (Q) does not have a poor MDBF, since the (N) / (W) 's R160s that are not used on the weekends could just go to (Q) service on the following monday to allow for some shuffling of (Q) train equipment to the yard for maintenance. 

As for the (7) remember that outside rush hours, only ~30% of the fleet is in use. Many of the R188's are only in service for about 2 round trips, then its back to the yard. and Corona is the exception for subway yards in that they take EXCELLENT care of their cars. Their R62As (when the (7) was still R62As) ran about 300,000 miles between failures.

Edited by darkstar8983
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

During weekends, it's 1/2 from the total trains used on the (7)  (40/2). 

PM rush, the 111 St starting trains do a round-trip back to Mets-Wilets Pt (mainly like add-on to avoid more overcrowding). 

Edited by Calvin
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just for fun. What would happen If the R46s started having catastrophic problems forcing the MTA to retire the whole fleet (like the R44s did).

How would you manage the fleet to provide service? 

Hopefully they hold up till 2022.

29 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Just for fun. What would happen If the R46s started having catastrophic problems forcing the MTA to retire the whole fleet (like the R44s did).

How would you manage the fleet to provide service? 

Hopefully they hold up till 2022.

(W) would be cut, (N)(Q) would have reduced service. Spare R160's go to the (R) and the (A) .

(C) would be cut, (E) re-routed to Euclid Avenue, R179 4 car sets get moved to the (A) .

(B) reduced service, some sets sent to (A) or (R).

26 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

(W) would be cut, (N)(Q) would have reduced service. Spare R160's go to the (R) and the (A) .

(C)would be cut, (E)re-routed to Euclid Avenue, R179 4 car sets get moved to the (A) .

(B) reduced service, some sets sent to (A) or (R).

Yeah, because that makes sense... 

- (Z) cut.  (R179 4 cars go to (C)(R) , 42s to (A)).

- R160s on (R) go to (F) .

- (W) cut. R160s and R68s to (A).

- (B) cut outside of rush hours. R68/As sent to (A) .

23 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

- (W) cut. R160s and R68s to (A).

- (B) cut outside of rush hours. R68/As sent to (A) .

Wouldn't there be more 5-car R179 sets for the (A) (assuming this hypothetical would be around the next year or so)