SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Since when did the MTA start putting LED advertising panels in subway cars (the square ones next to the doors)? 7560 has at least one

I believe this is a recent thing they've begun to test on the R188s. I haven't seen one personally yet

Does anyone think that the weekend (M) extension along 6th Ave to 96th street will become a permanent thing after the whole (L) project is done? I feel that having a 3rd service along will perhaps be something that is requested especially if more people from 2nd Ave use it to access Midtown/ 6th Ave and northern Brooklyn.  I also think that it’s good having another along 6th anyways. 

I just wonder why the MTA has not updated station signs to reflect that the (M) goes to 96th Street late evenings and weekends. Those pink fliers that they are placed in the stations are already falling down and I think not having proper signage will confuse people. The (M) to 96th is not even on the map so it makes me wonder if they ever plan to put it on there. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Does anyone think that the weekend (M) extension along 6th Ave to 96th street will become a permanent thing after the whole (L) project is done? I feel that having a 3rd service along will perhaps be something that is requested especially if more people from 2nd Ave use it to access Midtown/ 6th Ave and northern Brooklyn.  I also think that it’s good having another along 6th anyways. 

Yeah why not? It would be really great for the Upper East Side. Provides direct service between the Myrtle Avenue corridor and all of the weekend shopping that exists in SoHo and Midtown (Essex Street is not even close to SoHo).

I am also proposing both the (M) and (R) be extended to Jamaica-179th Street and have the (F) moved off the express tracks at all times except late nights, when it would continue to make the slow switching maneuver at 75th Avenue (which delays (E) train service). This would allow for direct service between Hillside Avenue and the Broadways corridor for Broadway theater goers and those looking to see The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. 6th Avenue riders would see an increase in trip time by 3-5 minutes but everyone else would save time.

Also, late night (M) service should also be extended to Essex Street to permit easy travel between Brooklyn and the nigh life that exists in the Lower East Side.

To accompany this, I would also propose either extending the (J) / (Z) lines together to Bay Ridge-95th Street or a separate route from the (J) / (Z) that would either operate between Broadway Jct and 95th Street or overlay the current (M) (NOT replace it) and operate between Metro Avenue and 95th Street. This would improve service.

Finally, I am proposing that (M) service have headway increases. During weekdays, service would operate with 14 trains per hour, with (J) / (Z) service operating at 10 trains per hour. This would provide more frequent service for (M) riders. (F) service may be reduced, but given how passengers north of Church Avenue has the (G) train and south of Church Avenue have an easy crosstown walk or bus ride to other train lines, like the (D)(N) and (B)(Q), all of which can take on additional riders, they’ll be fine.

An extension of the (R) to 179th is a poor idea as it should be removed from QBL entirely. 

( (N)(Q) to 96, (R) to Astoria, (W) eliminated)

An extension of the (J) is also a bad idea as the line doesn’t need to be longer and less reliable. 

Edited by R68OnBroadway

17 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

An extension of the (J) is also a bad idea as the line doesn’t need to be longer and less reliable. 

I also proposed a counter-proposal of an new route running between Broadway Junction on the (J) or Metropolitan Avenue on the (M) and 95th Street. It would supplement the existing routes, not replace them Clearly you missed that part.

19 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

An extension of the (R) to 179th is a poor idea as it should be removed from QBL entirely. 

( (N)(Q) to 96, (R) to Astoria, (W) eliminated)

Not without a new yard for the (R) train fleet.

33 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I also proposed a counter-proposal of an new route running between Broadway Junction on the (J) or Metropolitan Avenue on the (M) and 95th Street. It would supplement the existing routes, not replace them Clearly you missed that part.

Not without a new yard for the (R) train fleet.

I read the proposal and stated that the (J) extension was bad to rule out that part.

As for the (R), we have gone over this about 10 million times. While the cars would get extra mileage from deadheading, it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

7 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

As for the (R), we have gone over this about 10 million times. While the cars would get extra mileage from deadheading, it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

With the conversion of the 36th Street Yard for passenger use, it could be viable for the (R) to use that yard for train maintenance, with around 12 storage tracks used for storing trains, and some work trains relocated to nearby Coney Island Yard and other areas. However, that project is part of the Second Avenue Subway project, which will provide additional train cars for (T) service in Phase 3, whenever the hell that opens, so the reroute of the (R) would have to wait until the yard conversion is complete to avoid potential reliability problems. Building a new yard in Astoria, good luck convincing Astoria residents.

There's a new program for the (J) on one of the R179s and I have no idea what they were thinking...

(J) JAMAICA SKIP-STOP

(ok good)

(J) BROADWAY LOCAL

(um... what...)

(J) BROAD ST 

(meh, it said that before)

I still don't understand their aversion to Nassau Street for one and two "Broadway Local"? :huh: That's totally not going to get confused with the Broadway line in Manhattan... <_<

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

There's a new program for the (J) on one of the R179s and I have no idea what they were thinking...

(J) JAMAICA SKIP-STOP

(ok good)

(J) BROADWAY LOCAL

(um... what...)

(J) BROAD ST 

I still don't understand their aversion to Nassau Street for one and two "Broadway Local"? :huh: That's totally not going to get confused with the Broadway line in Manhattan... <_<

It should have been “BWAY-BKLYN LOCAL” as they programmed with the (M) when it ran to Broadway Jct. 

8 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

(J) JAMAICA SKIP-STOP

(ok good)

(J) BROADWAY LOCAL

(um... what...)

(J) BROAD ST 

I still don't understand their aversion to Nassau Street for one and two "Broadway Local"? :huh:That's totally not going to get confused with the Broadway line in Manhattan... <_<

They run completely different routes , who’s really gonna get confused ?

34 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

They run completely different routes , who’s really gonna get confused ?

Even so it's a policy to not have two lines share names... (of course since it's the MTA, they break their own style guide rules all the time)

This is the same reason why the (1) is called the "Broadway-7th Avenue Local" and the (2)(3) are the "7th Avenue Express"

Officially the (J) is the "Nassau Street-Jamaica Line" and the Jamaica Line hasn't been called the Broadway Brooklyn line since 1976.

19 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Even so it's a policy to not have two lines share names... (of course since it's the MTA, they break their own style guide rules all the time)

This is the same reason why the (1) is called the "Broadway-7th Avenue Local" and the (2)(3) are the "7th Avenue Express"

Officially the (J) is the "Nassau Street-Jamaica Line" and the Jamaica Line hasn't been called the Broadway Brooklyn line since 1976.

Learn something new everyday 

On 5/8/2019 at 8:53 AM, Q23 via 108 said:

The Subway is going to have two types of cars. The NTTs and the open gangway R2XXs. Its going to be really bland since the post 90s cars are so similar. A Transit fan will tell the difference. But to the average person, they are nearly identical. The only main thing separating the NTTs are the Propulsion sounds. Other than that, they look the same on both the interior and exterior.

Besides sound (and maybe some little things here and there)

What's different about a R142 - R142A - and R188?

What's different about an R143, R160A, R160B, R179. 

To me, they are all the same train. And the subway system is getting more stale by the day. 

Eh, it’s all cyclical in my opinion. Go back 60 years and you could say the same thing about all of the R-series in service at the time. Aside from the color scheme on the various cars and slight variations in the cars’ design, they all looked quite similar. Even the 32s and 38s with their stainless steel builds were not that much of a departure from the previous car design. It wouldn’t be until the 40s were debuted that a major shift in car design occurred.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:51 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I just wonder why the MTA has not updated station signs to reflect that the (M) goes to 96th Street late evenings and weekends. Those pink fliers that they are placed in the stations are already falling down and I think not having proper signage will confuse people. The (M) to 96th is not even on the map so it makes me wonder if they ever plan to put it on there. 

It’s quite possible that the weekend M will prove popular even after the Canarsie work wraps up. It all depends on the MTA’s finances whether the extension sticks around beyond next year.

As for the weekend route not appearing on the maps, that’s not surprising since the map clearly notes that it displays weekday service only. Weekend and late-night service is denoted in the box. However, there’s no reason why the overhead signs haven’t been updated. They should reflect what’s in the schedules.

On 5/9/2019 at 7:42 AM, JeremiahC99 said:

I am also proposing both the (M) and (R) be extended to Jamaica-179th Street and have the (F) moved off the express tracks at all times except late nights, when it would continue to make the slow switching maneuver at 75th Avenue (which delays (E) train service). This would allow for direct service between Hillside Avenue and the Broadways corridor for Broadway theater goers and those looking to see The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. 6th Avenue riders would see an increase in trip time by 3-5 minutes but everyone else would save time.

I’m ambivalent on the rest of your post, but sending both the M and R to 179 Street just moves the fumigation problem at Forest Hills there. While 179 Street is more than capable of turning that much service, the entire line will be slowed down by the increased amount of relaying required for the F, M and R lines. Also, such an extension serves very little purpose as riders will bail the locals at the first opportunity, especially from that far along the line. The only ones who’d benefit are Hillside riders seeking Queens Blvd local stops and vice-versa, which I’m sure is a relatively low amount of riders on the line.

21 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

(J) JAMAICA SKIP-STOP

(ok good)

(J) BROADWAY LOCAL

(um... what...)

(J) BROAD ST 

They sure do love to change the signs, don’t they? And yet, the super-abbreviated displays on the 188s remain.