SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Abba said:

The only thing is sometimes 2 people try sneak in.

That’s more preferable than a torrent of people sneaking in through the emergency exit. The HEETs are, by and large, the most effective control against farebeating the subways have had. It saddens me that they’re being replaced, when I think that they should instead be redesigned. Perhaps with some easier-to-push bars and stickers to indicate how to use them (for those few unfortunate souls), I think the HEETs should stick around.

55 minutes ago, Cabanamaner said:

That’s more preferable than a torrent of people sneaking in through the emergency exit. The HEETs are, by and large, the most effective control against farebeating the subways have had. It saddens me that they’re being replaced, when I think that they should instead be redesigned. Perhaps with some easier-to-push bars and stickers to indicate how to use them (for those few unfortunate souls), I think the HEETs should stick around.

I agree, but in some cases, their removal has helped a lot. In August 2014, the HEETs in the eastern mezzanine at Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike near the exits at 80th Road were replaced by low turnstiles. This has been a godsend, and has really reduced crowding in the station. I did not use the subway on a daily basis until September 2014 for high school. I cannot fathom having to use the HEETs. I would have missed hundreds of trains (no joke) if the HEETs were not replaced. The low turnstiles as they are are very crowded, and if you are going against the flow (into the station during the PM or out during the AM) you have to wait about 30 seconds to go through. Every day, from every train, dozens of people run through the turnstiles and up the stairs to go to the Q10. This change has reduced crowding, made the station safer, and has saved people tons of time. Farebeating still does occur, but is from the emergency exit. Funny enough, less fare beating occurs at the mezzanine at 78th without a token booth (it used to have one until the early 2000s, I think). Other HEETs are being replaced across the system. The time savings and the reduced crowding outweigh any loss in revenue from turnstile jumping in my book.

Speaking of HEETS along QBL, HEETs were replaced at Grand Ave in 2015 and some of the ones Elmhurst Ave earlier this year. 

It was sorely needed at Grand Ave with all the people transferring to and from the Q58. 

Elmhurst wasnt as bad, at the east entrance, it had 2 HEETs for the manhattan bound platform and 1 for 71 ave bound. Sometimes if they broke it would cause problems. Now that entrance has 3 normal turnstiles manhattan bound and 2 HEETs 71 Ave bound. 

In both cases there hasnt been much of an uptick in farebeating. 

On 5/27/2019 at 8:27 PM, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

Will the 7 train ever actually be extended to NJ?

On 5/29/2019 at 12:01 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

No and it would be dumb as hell if they did

And yet, here we are again with yet another proposal to extend the (7) to Jersey, in light of Don the Con’s and his Secretary of Transportation (self-hating New Yorker Elaine Chao)’s refusal to fund the Gateway Tunnel.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-28/extending-nyc-s-subway-to-n-j-could-speed-commute-for-thousands

And a pretty lively discussion about it over on the other message board, if you’re interested...

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1514200

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

On May 29, 2019 at 12:01 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

No and it would be dumb as hell if they did

Nah I don't think so...

The current route to Secaucus is stupid but if the (7) went to Hoboken and Jersey City instead it would provide much needed relief to PATH which is just getting inundated with ridership nowadays.

21 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I've seen a lot of gaps in (R) train service, but this is easily the most obscene one yet 

(pic)

Imagine what cutting the (R) from QBL would do for reliability...

IMG_4699

Anyways, it looks as if the (N) has given up too... 

Edited by R68OnBroadway

11 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

And yet, here we are again with yet another proposal to extend the (7) to Jersey, in light of Don the Con’s and his Secretary of Transportation (self-hating New Yorker Elaine Chao)’s refusal to fund the Gateway Tunnel.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-28/extending-nyc-s-subway-to-n-j-could-speed-commute-for-thousands

And a pretty lively discussion about it over on the other message board, if you’re interested...

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1514200

How does one even sign up for subchat?

7 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Imagine what cutting the (R) from QBL would do for reliability...

(R) to Essex/Chambers during more than just rush hours?

9 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Nah I don't think so...

The current route to Secaucus is stupid but if the (7) went to Hoboken and Jersey City instead it would provide much needed relief to PATH which is just getting inundated with ridership nowadays.

At the very least, the (7) in should make at least three intermediate stops in Jersey on the way to and from Secaucus. Going to Jersey City would be better.

31 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I meant for weekend G.Os specifically (I'd just reroute it to Ditmars or Queensboro).

In deinterlining Broadway though, I'd have the (R) run Bay Ridge-Astoria with the (W) at Whitehall (or City Hall lower) as I'd rather have a shorter route deal with QBL-related issues (runtime on the (R) would also decrease and it would get some outdoor air for the A/C on the 46s should they begin to fail).

13 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

At the very least, the (7) in should make at least three intermediate stops in Jersey on the way to and from Secaucus. Going to Jersey City would be better.

That would be great to send (7) service to Certain points of Jersey City...:)

21 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

How does one even sign up for subchat?

Click on obtain a posting password, then follow the directions:

Thank you for your interest in participating in our SubChat and BusChat discussion boards. It is required that you pre-register your "handle" before posting. In order to do this, you must supply a handle as well as your real name (first and last) and email address. 

Is there a way to make the IND passageway at 42nd ADA accessible? Seems ridiculous for the complex to be considered ADA accessible when the 8th Av lines don't have an ADA connection to the rest of the complex (especially considering its one of the few convenient places to access transfers to Broadway).

http://gothamist.com/2019/06/04/andy_byford_mta_subway.php

If Byford leaves, there goes any last hope of a chance that the subway system will shine from the state it is in now. Sadly not gonna change anytime soon. Next 3-5 years from now, the political interference is gonna hit a boiling point; MTA, NYCT and the city isn't going to be able to take this crap anymore. 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

23 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Is there a way to make the IND passageway at 42nd ADA accessible? Seems ridiculous for the complex to be considered ADA accessible when the 8th Av lines don't have an ADA connection to the rest of the complex (especially considering its one of the few convenient places to access transfers to Broadway).

They would have to level the ramp from Times Square to Port Authority so it isn't as steep as it currently is. That's the major holdup there. However, is it such a worthwhile expense when there are so many other stations that have no accessibility at all? From the north, disabled riders can access Broadway via the B or D and from the south, any 6th Avenue train via a transfer at W 4 Street. It's less convenient for sure, but it's not as bad as it is outside of midtown.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

They would have to level the ramp from Times Square to Port Authority so it isn't as steep as it currently is. That's the major holdup there. However, is it such a worthwhile expense when there are so many other stations that have no accessibility at all? From the north, disabled riders can access Broadway via the B or D and from the south, any 6th Avenue train via a transfer at W 4 Street. It's less convenient for sure, but it's not as bad as it is outside of midtown.

I’m not saying it’s a major priority considering many other stations are inaccessible, but it still seems odd to me to call the complex fully ADA when a major connection isn’t.

Also, my solution would be to simply add a gentle ramp starting from the top of the steep one to give a cheap way to add an ADA ramp.

Edited by R68OnBroadway
Mistyped a word

6 hours ago, Lance said:

3 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I’m not saying it’s a major priority considering many other stations are inaccessible, but it still seems odd to me to call the complex fully ADA when a major connection isn’t.

Also, my solution would be to simply add a gentle ramp starting from the top of the steep one to give a cheap way to add an ADA ramp.

The ADA not only limits slope, it limits length, because you don't want a wheelchair picking up speed and crashing into the wall.

Short of some crazy switchbacking that takes up a lot of room (like the 8th Av platforms) there is no way in hell it'll ever be accessible.