Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

This question is  for my Bronx experts...VG8 in particular cause he lives in riverdale....I gotta go visit a friend at Methodist Home in Riverdale...How far is that from the (1) train after you get off...

It's right up the hill from the 1 train stop at 242nd, like a 3 block walk. It should not take as long as the 9 minutes shown on Google Maps. And DO NOT take the shorter solid-line route shown on Google Maps -- that meanders through the Manhattan College campus, requires a steep staircase, and you may be stopped by security. Just go straight up 242 St and Manhattan College Parkway. (I live about half-mile away.)

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

It's right up the hill from the 1 train stop at 242nd, like a 3 block walk. It should not take as long as the 9 minutes shown on Google Maps. And DO NOT take the shorter solid-line route -- that meanders through the Manhattan College campus, requires a steep staircase, and you may be stopped by security. 

I think it would take about 9 minutes to be honest. If not 9 then at least 5 - 7 minutes. I don't see him doing it any faster. Remember it's all uphill.

2 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

This question is  for my Bronx experts...VG8 in particular cause he lives in riverdale....I gotta go visit a friend at Methodist Home in Riverdale...How far is that from the (1) train after you get off...

Yeah, I live in Riverdale, but closer to Henry Hudson Parkway, not by Broadway. However, when I need to get to 242nd, I come down Manhattan College Parkway eventually, key word being down lol.  As @Italianstallion says, do NOT take take the route that goes through the Manhattan College campus.  I have walked around over there and never had a problem, but I am used to the hills and you aren't, and you will be walking uphill the entire time, so you don't want to walk up all of those stairs to be told you can't go that way, because you'll have to go down at least part of the way and then come up again via the hills, as Manhattan College Parkway is all uphill and it meanders.  Just bring some water with you or good walking shoes because that up hill climb is no fun. I have done it to walk to my apartment which is about a 25 minute walk or so, and the only break I got was walking along Waldo, which is flat in parts, but other than that, everything is uphill!!! Now I live even further west and closer to Henry Hudson Parkway, so the walk would be even longer for me.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

11 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Other than sometimes thinking the location you input is in New Jersey, TripPlanner usually works. However, sometimes hilarious routings come up:

48078878686_130cc3c15c_z.jpgThanks TripPlanner! by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48078979502_5f3705c0c4_b.jpgThanks TripPlanner! by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Tour of Brooklyn.

Worse, when you get out of the station on the northbound side, you are farther away than if you had exited from the southbound side.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

It's right up the hill from the 1 train stop at 242nd, like a 3 block walk. It should not take as long as the 9 minutes shown on Google Maps. And DO NOT take the shorter solid-line route shown on Google Maps -- that meanders through the Manhattan College campus, requires a steep staircase, and you may be stopped by security. Just go straight up 242 St and Manhattan College Parkway. (I live about half-mile away.)

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think it would take about 9 minutes to be honest. If not 9 then at least 5 - 7 minutes. I don't see him doing it any faster. Remember it's all uphill.

Yeah, I live in Riverdale, but closer to Henry Hudson Parkway, not by Broadway. However, when I need to get to 242nd, I come down Manhattan College Parkway eventually, key word being down lol.  As @Italianstallion says, do NOT take take the route that goes through the Manhattan College campus.  I have walked around over there and never had a problem, but I am used to the hills and you aren't, and you will be walking uphill the entire time, so you don't want to walk up all of those stairs to be told you can't go that way, because you'll have to go down at least part of the way and then come up again via the hills, as Manhattan College Parkway is all uphill and it meanders.  Just bring some water with you or good walking shoes because that up hill climb is no fun. I have done it to walk to my apartment which is about a 25 minute walk or so, and the only break I got was walking along Waldo, which is flat in parts, but other than that, everything is uphill!!! Now I live even further west and closer to Henry Hudson Parkway, so the walk would be even longer for me.

Thanks alot for the info....

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

Thanks alot for the info....

lol Good luck...  I forgot that you get a little peak of the (1) train yard on your way up on the side opposite Manhattan College (the college) along Manhattan College Parkway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems that today: 8th Av was delayed b/c of signal problems leading to 6th Av with heavy train traffic. Currently, the Broadway line is affected. 

10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol Good luck...  I forgot that you get a little peak of the (1) train yard on your way up on the side opposite Manhattan College (the college) along Manhattan College Parkway.

Thanks...Ive been to the area serveral times on the(1)  just not to the clinic on Manhattan collage pkwy.....One of my co workers suffered a stroke 2 months ago and they moved him to that location...

• Thumbs Up 1

R160 8787-8783 were savagely vandalized by acid markers; Coney Island crew sanded the whole side body of each car. This set looks worse than R160’s 9848-9850, 9117-9113, and 9343-9347. 🙀🙀🙀

31 minutes ago, VIP said:

R160 8787-8783 were savagely vandalized by acid markers; Coney Island crew sanded the whole side body of each car. This set looks worse than R160’s 9848-9850, 9117-9113, and 9343-9347. 🙀🙀🙀

Do you have pictures?

44 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Do you have pictures?

No, I was on duty. I couldn’t take my phone out to snap pictures. If I see it in the yard or at the terminal when I’m off, I’ll send some. 🤞

1. When the Manhattan Bridge was being reconstructed throughout the entire 1990s, why did the South Side take a longer time than the North Side? I noticed that the North Side always took 2 1/2 years tops to complete when it was closed, but the South Side took 12 years. What was the reason for longer repairs on the south side?

9 hours ago, VIP said:

Can't the repair workers clean up the the vandalism? 

Most R179’s  OOS again. This time it’s the (A) and (C) line. The (C) is mainly R32 with only 2 sets of R179’s. The (A) has only 2 R32’s and the rest of the sets are R46. 

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Quick Question:

How much Ridership do the (J)(M) and (Z) lines all have? I tried to search up the ridership of each line, but all  mta.info provides is the ridership by station, which is not what I'm looking for yet. 

Are you looking for combined ridership or individual train ridership?

1901-5 at Westchester is seperated at this time where a/c is needed for refuse trains. 

Let’s play a game.

It’s 9 PM, you’re at Union Square. You want to IMMEDIATELY get a folding seat in the 1st car of a Bronx-bound (4) train. What time do you eventually get on-board a (4) train that satisfies this criterion?

21 minutes ago, Axis said:

Let’s play a game.

It’s 9 PM, you’re at Union Square. You want to IMMEDIATELY get a folding seat in the 1st car of a Bronx-bound (4) train. What time do you eventually get on-board a (4) train that satisfies this criterion?

Sure, gun for the noisy ones...

4 hours ago, Axis said:

Let’s play a game.

Depends on the day.

2:45am Monday-Friday, 3:20am on Saturday, and 4am on Sunday.

Posted (edited)

So I was on a World Trade Center-bound (E) train that pulled into 7th Avenue that came to a complete stop at the appropriate stopping position but the C/R refused to open the doors. The T/O then proceeds to the next station. NO ANNOUNCEMENTS were made at all indicating what happened. I missed the D train and had to backtrack as a consequence. I swear, whoever put out that command without requiring an announcement to be made deserves to be castrated. I can't stand these useless bodies responsible working supervision.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

So I was on a World Trade Center-bound (E) train that pulled into 7th Avenue that came to a complete stop at the appropriate stopping position but the C/R refused to open the doors. The T/O then proceeds to the next station. NO ANNOUNCEMENTS were made at all indicating what happened. I missed the D train and had to backtrack as a consequence. I swear, whoever put out that command without requiring an announcement to be made deserves to be castrated. I can't stand these useless bodies responsible working supervision.

You deadass dragged it wtf 😂😂

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

You deadass dragged it wtf 😂😂

My thoughts exactly!! 🤣🤣