Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Read this headline: "Cuomo, Who Says He Doesn't Control The MTA, Just Got State Law Changed To Put His Budget Director, Who Thinks Cuomo Should Have More Control Over The MTA, On The MTA Board"

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Read this headline: "Cuomo, Who Says He Doesn't Control The MTA, Just Got State Law Changed To Put His Budget Director, Who Thinks Cuomo Should Have More Control Over The MTA, On The MTA Board"

That’s the most confusing headline I’ve ever read

Just a question for the forum posters. Does anyone know the folks who run subway dot org? I usually check out the old schedules but a friend pointed out that some context has been rearranged.  Specifically the line by line station descriptions. I was asked to check out the IRT Lenox line and noticed the description of the 135th Street station. Did it always describe the station as a 2 track station?  It clearly has/had 3 tracks . Did something happen to the third track ? Does anyone know how to contact the people in charge and have the information corrected?  Maybe a poster on this site can help?  Thanks. Carry on. 

5 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Just a question for the forum posters. Does anyone know the folks who run subway dot org? I usually check out the old schedules but a friend pointed out that some context has been rearranged.  Specifically the line by line station descriptions. I was asked to check out the IRT Lenox line and noticed the description of the 135th Street station. Did it always describe the station as a 2 track station?  It clearly has/had 3 tracks . Did something happen to the third track ? Does anyone know how to contact the people in charge and have the information corrected?  Maybe a poster on this site can help?  Thanks. Carry on. 

Contact David Pirmann.

https://www.nycsubway.org/cgi-bin/feedback

I love acting like a train at home but my mother says to me that "if you want to act like a train, go to Grand Central Station".

• LMAO! 11

How much work would be needed to turn City Hall lower into a functional terminal? I know the platforms are only 480 ft, but the crossover is set back (you would only use the island platform as 3 tracks is overkill). 

Also, how many trains could you turn there? (You would probably only turn 6-8 though if you had 30 TPH on Broadway local.)

Posted (edited)

There's 2 R46s that were on the (C) today. Last week, it's regular R32 and 179 8-cars. Pardon me if repeated, Was the full 8-car train part of the (L) train slowdown adding more passengers to the train?

Also, seems that TA has another way to expose farebeaters: into their wall of shame

https://nypost.com/2019/06/24/mta-board-member-wants-to-publicly-shame-fare-beaters/?utm_source=facebook_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site+buttons&utm_campaign=site+buttons&fbclid=IwAR2rm-UMd-ONyzxIdHuqxkZZR7QJ8ZabS-p1WbSuwSk6Y_jVmFJfNCLrsb4

Edited by Calvin

There's a great SubChat post here (http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1516664) with some old images of R46s during their delivery and early stages of their career

Some of my personal favorites:

1HegUq5D_o.jpg

"At Ditmas Ave. on the :F: line. (July 1979)"

lSJ7c1dL_o.jpg

"Not a reroute, but a "dead head" move to Coney Island yard. Location is Avenue H on the Brighton Line. (July 1979)"

yiDlBAQb_o.jpg

"Ready for their journey to Coney Island yard, up pops a put-in of R-32's on the :RR:.
Stored on the lower level 9th Ave for the PM rush hour. (July 1978)"

DwYeZ98p_o.jpg

"Delivery by LIRR Bay Ridge Br, Parkville Jct and McDonald Ave to Coney Island.
I passed by on the (F) yesterday and it seems an apartment building is going up on or near Parkville Jct.
Is that a red Plymouth Valiant or Dodge Dart ? (April 23, 1975)"

• Upvote 7

The R46s in their original paint were far and away the best looking cars ever run in the subway. I wish we had that level of design on contemporary orders. Thanks for cross posting!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Calvin said:

There's 2 R46s that were on the (C) today. Last week, it's regular R32 and 179 8-cars. Pardon me if repeated, Was the full 8-car train part of the (L) train slowdown adding more passengers to the train?

Also, seems that TA has another way to expose farebeaters: into their wall of shame

https://nypost.com/2019/06/24/mta-board-member-wants-to-publicly-shame-fare-beaters/?utm_source=facebook_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site+buttons&utm_campaign=site+buttons&fbclid=IwAR2rm-UMd-ONyzxIdHuqxkZZR7QJ8ZabS-p1WbSuwSk6Y_jVmFJfNCLrsb4

I don’t think that’s really gonna do anything to stop it 

Why is it that when there is express service on West End (unplanned reroutes), trains usually skip 25th and but stop at Bay 50th? Seems like a lazy excuse to randomly skip a stop given that there are switches at Bay Parkway... 

I just want to clarify something about this endless fare beating issue...so when fare beaters get ticked with a 100 dollar fine, does that money go straight to the (MTA) or does it just go straight to the feds?

3 minutes ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Bad news to share. I'm honestly praying that this is just a rumor and nothing more. They know well that everybody loves that place. 

This is devastating information to hear, hopefully this plan will be more of a pesky rumor. And much less reality, since the museum is really iconic of the modern MTA

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

This is devastating information to hear, hopefully this plan will be more of a pesky rumor. And much less reality, since the museum is really iconic of the modern MTA

I think cutting off the museum would probably be an idea not even Cuomo would go for considering the uproar from not only MTA employees and railfanners, but also preservationists and maybe even parents who often take their children there.

(L) trains are running regular service and the (W) is running this weekend due to the pride parade, according to the countdown clocks.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

Actually the (L) will be running its regular weekend schedule according to this update.

https://new.mta.info/pride2019

And the (M) will only run to Essex Street instead of 96th Street-2nd Avenue.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

4 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

And the (M) will only run to Essex Street instead of 96th Street-2nd Avenue.

I knew there’d be a cost-neutral clause in there somewhere....

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Is the (M) to Essex a regular full 8-car train? or 4-cars for Sunday

Edited by Calvin

14 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Bad news to share. I'm honestly praying that this is just a rumor and nothing more. They know well that everybody loves that place. 

Honestly, even if this is true Cuomo would face severe opposition from the MTA and general public. Not to mention the amount of dedicated work and effort that goes in to preserving stuff...

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

Is the (M) to Essex a regular full 8-car train? or 4-cars for Sunday

8 cars