SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

5 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Gee I wonder how they survived from 1933 to 1955. Believe it or not, the Queens Blvd Line was never designed to connect to Broadway and connecting the two created a systemwide imbalance.

Only 8th Avenue and Broadway have merges (at Canal on the (A)(C)(E) and Herald Square on the (N)(Q)(R)(W)) where trains cross from a local to an express track and they both cause systemwide delays and reduce overall throughput. You've clearly normalized for yourself but it is simply unacceptable anywhere else in the world.

Moving the (C) to the express and introducing a (K) service from WTC to 71st increases the number of trains you can run on 8th Avenue and 53rd Street and reduces wait times. 

So QBL's connection to Broadway was made after?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Gee I wonder how they survived from 1933 to 1955. Believe it or not, the Queens Blvd Line was never designed to connect to Broadway and connecting the two created a systemwide imbalance.

Only 8th Avenue and Broadway have merges (at Canal on the (A)(C)(E) and Herald Square on the (N)(Q)(R)(W)) where trains cross from a local to an express track and they both cause systemwide delays and reduce overall throughput. You've clearly normalized for yourself but it is simply unacceptable anywhere else in the world.

Moving the (C) to the express and introducing a (K) service from WTC to 71st increases the number of trains you can run on 8th Avenue and 53rd Street and reduces wait times. 

No one want (C) Express, no one want (K) causing congestion at World Trade Center with (E). Riders now are familiar with daily travel patterns from since 1955 and now 2019 they got so familiar with the Queens Blvd to Broadway connection which why it's still used today. And why are we boosting 6 Av and 8 Av service.

Edited by bwwnyc123

2 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Most people prefer free direct in-system transfer walking up or downstairs vs exiting the system walking few blocks to come back into the system, why all of the extra work, when they could have a direct free transfer inside of the station.

So I’m assuming that you think One Seat Rides are more important than operating everything at Maximum throughput with the best efficiency by having simplified services. Okay. 

No one want (C) Express, no one want (K) causing congestion at World Trade Center with (E). Riders now are familiar with daily travel patterns from since 1955 and now 2019 they got so familiar with the Queens Blvd to Broadway connection which why it's still used today. And why are we boosting 6 Av and 8 Av service. ?

Congestion at World Trade Center would only happen if you didn’t send trains in and out in a timely fashion. Currently we turn about 15 TPH at World Trade Center. In reality, it’s capable of turning 26 TPH. Moving the (C) express and adding a (K) would open doors for greater capacity. Also, what’s wrong with boosting service? The whole purpose of these service re-arrangements is to boost service so that we and have a more efficient operating system!! Given that you fix our operating practices to begin with. 

Removing the (R) from Queens Blvd Line will cause so much issues. Because they need that Broadway connection not just 6 Av and 8 Av.

Aside from Losing a one seat ride from QBL-Broadway. What are these “issues” that you claim would happen? 

42 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

So I’m assuming that you think One Seat Rides are more important than operating everything at Maximum throughput with the best efficiency by having simplified services. Okay. 

Congestion at World Trade Center would only happen if you didn’t send trains in and out in a timely fashion. Currently we turn about 15 TPH at World Trade Center. In reality, it’s capable of turning 26 TPH. Moving the (C) express and adding a (K) would open doors for greater capacity. Also, what’s wrong with boosting service? The whole purpose of these service re-arrangements is to boost service so that we and have a more efficient operating system!! Given that you fix our operating practices to begin with. 

Aside from Losing a one seat ride from QBL-Broadway. What are these “issues” that you claim would happen? 

If QBL lose the one seat Broadway access meaning even more people need to transfer to train just to reach another Broadway train, plus losing a free direct transfer point to (4)(5)(6)

(E) does not need help on 8 Av into Queens with its high frequency (K) would just get in the way. Not everyone on 8 Av are trying to get into Queens. The current frequency of (C)(E) local is already high enough. 

Queens Blvd Line also need Broadway, not just 6 Av and 8 Av. 

Edited by bwwnyc123

Just wanna throw it out there: the vast majority of Broadway local stations are within a block of a 6th or 8th local stop. Throw in the chance to transfer to Lex local at Lex/53, and you’ve covered the entire service area. I understand that there being more than one viable path between two points is a truly radical idea (we’ve had two pages of ATH and LGA presenting cogent arguments to that end only to be addressed with “but muh Broadway service” and “there is nothing wrong with rush hour service,” after all), but I think this is something worth adding.

6 hours ago, RR503 said:

Just wanna throw it out there: the vast majority of Broadway local stations are within a block of a 6th or 8th local stop. Throw in the chance to transfer to Lex local at Lex/53, and you’ve covered the entire service area. I understand that there being more than one viable path between two points is a truly radical idea (we’ve had two pages of ATH and LGA presenting cogent arguments to that end only to be addressed with “but muh Broadway service” and “there is nothing wrong with rush hour service,” after all), but I think this is something worth adding.

Those service changes is not going to work. You all want to eliminate direct QBL to Broadway connection to only focus on 6 Av and 8 Av. 8 Av doesn't even need service boost (E) already has high frequency, riders prefer to transfer a 59 St to (4)(5)(6) not just the (6) at 51 St. No one want a (C) Express with fewer cars.

8 hours ago, RR503 said:

(we’ve had two pages of ATH and LGA presenting cogent arguments

Don’t forget me ;( 

1 hour ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Queens Blvd does not even have merging issues. 8 Av doesn't have merging issues either.

BWHAHAHHAHAHA

I think we just leave this kid alone to his own delusion; let’s just get on with other subjects. 

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Don’t forget me ;( 

BWHAHAHHAHAHA

I think we just leave this kid alone to his own delusion; let’s just get on with other subjects. 

Bunch of grumpy old men trying to ruin the Subway System with these senseless changes. Eliminating Queens Blvd to Broadway connection which many rely on, just to focus only on 6 Av and 8 Av. The subway is good the way it is now. They would never ever get rid of the current (R) from Queens Blvd, that's why its still there right so ha ha ha. And no (K) , and no (C) Exp so ha, ha, ha. Grumpy Old Men Ha Ha Ha. Before you all ruin the Subway System.

Edited by bwwnyc123

1 hour ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Bunch of grumpy old men trying to ruin the Subway System with these senseless changes. Eliminating Queens Blvd to Broadway connection which many rely on, just to focus only on 6 Av and 8 Av. The subway is good the way it is now. They would never ever get rid of the current (R) from Queens Blvd, that's why its still there right so ha ha ha. And no (K) , and no (C) Exp so ha, ha, ha. Grumpy Old Men Ha Ha Ha. Before you all ruin the Subway System.

I just want to ask...how old are you really?

Correction. I’m 16, and at least I’m able to provide the information necessary to back up the service changes that RR503, R68, ATH, And I have been proposing. My advice to you is to go out exploring and check out this map, credit to @RR503

https://drive.google.com/file/d/141M8A9PZLVjMokZGTGZGQa1bEhG5ZJf1/view?usp=drivesdk

One last thing. If these changes were senseless, we wouldn’t be proposing them in the first place. 

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

3 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Excuse me, I'm not old I'm wise, theres a difference ;)

So now that the dust is settled...let me get back to my question:

On 6/26/2019 at 12:21 AM, Jemorie said:

I just want to clarify something about this endless fare beating issue...so when fare beaters get ticked with a 100 dollar fine, does that money go straight to the (MTA) or does it just go straight to the feds?

So obviously no one answered my question simply because they don't know? Okay. But it still would have been nice to know as it could have led to an interesting and complex discussion so that everyone has a greater understanding as to how financial works in terms of an agency like the (MTA). I once had a conversation with my teacher about this and she told me it was actually the latter though she too also does not know the exact full story. It would not be fair if it went straight to the government since it is the (MTA) at the end of the day that is losing money. I know the state runs the (MTA) but still.

Btw, I don't fare beat and I know that even if the 100 dollar fine does not go straight to the (MTA), it does not still give anyone the excuse to fare beat just to avoid paying the fare.

Edited by Jemorie

I noticed that too this morning. And the second weekday in a row I got an R160 (R) (although on Friday I got off and waited what ended up being four minutes for the (Q) - the platform sign said it was one minute away). Also the R160 (N) train I took this afternoon had the M14 SBS update. 

7 hours ago, Abba said:

I have a question . What’s a better odds ? To win 1 million dollars in a lottery or to be stuck in a subway tunnel 1 hour or more ?

Stuck in a subway tunnel. I think you have better odds of winning the lottery than see Cuomo fix the subway.

Edited by Q23 via 108

Tomorrow evening, the (A)(C)(F) lines, there may be a huge crowd during the afternoon to evening hours (most likely: crowded) with the fireworks taking place by the Brooklyn Bridge. 

Also, (2)(3) lines: both Clark St and Wall St will be blocked off due to the show going on (fireworks mentioned). 

Edited by Calvin