SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

We need the shuttle platforms (Franklin Avenue Shuttle, save for Prospect Park) to be around 100 feet longer. After all, those R68/As will eventually be retired, and it wouldn't be wise to get more 75-foot cars just for that (or anything, really).

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Tagged NTT has become an common sight at ENY yard, seems like I see at least one tagged set a week at ENY. I think they are getting tagged at Bowery layup.

There’s an R160 tagged up every day. I kept telling them not to lay those trains up there but their response is, “where else can we put them?”

1 hour ago, VIP said:

There’s an R160 tagged up every day. I kept telling them not to lay those trains up there but their response is, “where else can we put them?”

They also lay up NTT cars at 111st st station at night.  Hopefully those ENY NTT cars will be deep-cleaned soon.  The JAM NTT cars look amazingly good and shiny after being deep-cleaned. 

5 hours ago, VIP said:

They are going to have to figure something out because that is more money the (MTA) has to spend to clean those cars. Those cars get tagged up badly and sometimes even on the inside. I’m quite surprised Jamaica’s R160s don’t get tagged up like that because they are layed up in the tunnels and stations between Forest Hills and 179th Street. 

MTA sensibilities: 3 (D) trains pass through DeKalb Avenue, but only 1 (N). At 36 Street, supervision sends that last (D) ahead of the (N). Now we’re waiting to enter Bay 50 Street because there are 3 (D) trains up ahead. And there’s also another (N) behind us.

It doesn’t matter for inbound trains, but I can see this causing a shortage of (N) trains at Coney Island. They will have no trains to send out as the (D) trains clog up the tracks to the terminal.

Edited by CenSin

49 minutes ago, CenSin said:

MTA sensibilities: 3 (D) trains pass through DeKalb Avenue, but only 1 (N). At 36 Street, supervision sends that last (D) ahead of the (N). Now we’re waiting to enter Bay 50 Street because there are 3 (D) trains up ahead. And there’s also another (N) behind us.

It doesn’t matter for inbound trains, but I can see this causing a shortage of (N) trains at Coney Island. They will have no trains to send out as the (D) trains clog up the tracks to the terminal.

Aren't (N) trains ending at the (N) platform at Coney Island or all they all at the (D) platform?

21 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Aren't (N) trains ending at the (N) platform at Coney Island or all they all at the (D) platform?

They all share a pair of tracks on the West End. if there are 3 (D) trains up ahead, the (N) cannot reach tracks 1 nor 2 until the 3 (D) trains all enter the terminal. Those trains cannot enter the terminal until tracks 7 and/or 8 are clear. So while the (D) trains wait, the (N) trains behind also must wait even if tracks 1 and 2 are empty.

As you all know. The R44s were prematurely canned due to structural damage (specifically frame rot and rust). But... let's just play "what if" and said that the R44s were built Stainless Steel, which would eliminate the structural problems that they went through. So my question is, how do you think the R44s would be performing in 2019? Would they be falling apart or would they be holding up. I assume that at 2019, they would probably run on the (C) and Rockaway Park (S) while the can (A) alternate between R46 and R179. And once the R179s are delivered and all the teething issues are fixed, then the R44s would start being scrapped. Another possibility is that the R44s could have been used on the (G) considering that it's not that long a route? Its interesting to think of how this decade could have been had the R44s not retire. There wouldn't have been R32s on the (J). No R32 (H) shuttles in the Rockaways. The end of 60ft SMEEs, little to no fleet shortage, and possibly a full length (C) by now. Point is the 2010s could have been real different depending on the availability of the R44s. Had the 44s been around today, they would have been close to 50 years. They probably wouldn't have made it to 50, but I could have probably envisioned the R44s retiring around 2016-2018ish. What do you guys think? Were the R44s doomed anyway by the start of the 2010s? Or could they have held up perhaps 6~8 more years in Revenue Service (assuming no structural damage). 

Edited by Q23 via 108
G

6 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

As you all know. The R44s were prematurely canned due to structural damage (specifically frame rot and rust). But... let's just play "what if" and said that the R44s were built Stainless Steel, which would eliminate the structural problems that they went through. So my question is, how do you think the R44s would be performing in 2019? Would they be falling apart or would they be holding up. I assume that at 2019, they would probably run on the (C) and Rockaway Park (S) while the can (A) alternate between R46 and R179. And once the R179s are delivered and all the teething issues are fixed, then the R44s would start being scrapped. Another possibility is that the R44s could have used on the (G)? Its interesting to think of how this decade could have been had the R44s not retire. There wouldn't have been R32s on the (J). No R32 (H) shuttles in the Rockaways. The end of 60ft SMEEs, little to no fleet shortage, and possibly a full length (C) by now. Point is the 2010s could have been real different depending on the availability of the R44s. Had the 44s been around today, they would have been close to 50 years. They probably wouldn't have made it to 50, but I could have probably envisioned the R44s retiring around 2016-2018ish. What do you guys think? Were the R44s doomed anyway by the start of the 2010s? Or could they have held up perhaps 6~8 more years in Revenue Service (assuming no structural damage). 

The 44s were in good shape mechanically at the time of their retirement, so they would have been fine running today.

Edited by trainfan22

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The (L) has a guy I never heard before doing the "transfer is available to the (3) train by walking to Juilus St and using your MetroCard" announcement. Sounds like a Black guy with a deep voice.

And no, it's not the C/R doing an manual announcement.

I wonder if it's the same guy they got to re-do the "Bus Operators are protected by NYS law..." announcement on the buses...

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

How's the R44 in S.I different from the ones NYCT have? Also, I may be wrong at this but there are still at least 2 R44s that are at C.I Yard but for unknown reasons

I don't know for sure, but I do know that the NYCT ones had a harder life the SIRT. The R44s were on the longest and most used lines ((A)(D),(E),(F),(N) in the old days) Meanwhile staten island hasn't taken as much of a beating when compared to the city's. 

20 hours ago, Calvin said:

How's the R44 in S.I different from the ones NYCT have? Also, I may be wrong at this but there are still at least 2 R44s that are at C.I Yard but for unknown reasons

The R44's in SI have different propulsion systems, and sound nothing like the NYCT 44s even though they are supposedly the same car. The SI 44's don't have that PSSSSHHHHH brake release sound that the NYCT 44s were known for.

Also I think the SI R44s still have field shunting, as they accelerate far faster than any of the remaining SMEEs running on NYCT. 

Edited by trainfan22

59 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The R44's in SI have different propulsion systems, and sound nothing like the NYCT 44s even though they are supposedly the same car. The SI 44's don't have that PSSSSHHHHH brake release sound that the NYCT 44s were known for.

Also I think the SI R44s still have field shunting, as they accelerate far faster than any of the remaining SMEEs running on NYCT. 

If that's the case then they wouldnt be compatible with the transferred NYCT sets.

49 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Hi all,

Soon, I will have to be commuting from northern Roosevelt Island to the Columbus Circle area. I was wondering what the best route is.

I also posted this in the Bus topic.

Thanks!

I think the Q102 to the (F) to the (D) ( if you don’t feel like walking from 57th St on the (F) )

45 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

When will the R62/As be replaced with the R262s? Also, are the (6) R62s going to get replaces with R142/As then R262s, or R62s to R262s with no R142s.

also, is the (1) the only train to run the R62s?

Correct me if I’m wrong , I think the (3) uses the 62s and the (1) uses the 62As

18 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong , I think the (3) uses the 62s and the (1) uses the 62As

Of the 315 remaining R62s, 10 R62s are assigned to the (1), supplementing the lines fleet of 350 R62As for a total of 360 cars (36 trains). The other 305 R62s are for (3) service (30.5 trains)

1 hour ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

When will the R62/As be replaced with the R262s? Also, are the (6) R62s going to get replaces with R142/As then R262s, or R62s to R262s with no R142s.

also, is the (1) the only train to run the R62s?

The R262s will probably come out in the mid to late 2020s. We don't even have all of the R179s and we are months away from 2020, so no time soon.