SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, RR503 said:

This has been in the works for a while. They really shouldn't do it given all the operational issues it creates, but I guess if you have to, this is the way to do it. 

Those Express trains are gonna get held at Church by the (G) and some Local (F)’s 🤦🏽‍♂️  Let’s see if it breaks 3 and a half minutes worth of time savings. 

Edited by VIP

1 minute ago, VIP said:

Those Express trains are gonna get held at Church by the (G) and some Local (F)’s 🤦🏽‍♂️  Let’s see if it breaks 3 and a half minutes worth of time savings. 

They won't interact with (G)s, but you can count on merge delays with the local (F). My real concern remains the impact on 6th Avenue service. Already, *any* gap in (F) service heading towards Brooklyn in the PM snowballs to the point where the train following the gap invariably is late enough to be sent express Jay-Church. I shudder thinking about what dwells would be under full blown (F) express without any additional service -- and by that point, you'd probably get problems in Brooklyn too. 

10 hours ago, RR503 said:

They won't interact with (G)s, but you can count on merge delays with the local (F). My real concern remains the impact on 6th Avenue service. Already, *any* gap in (F) service heading towards Brooklyn in the PM snowballs to the point where the train following the gap invariably is late enough to be sent express Jay-Church. I shudder thinking about what dwells would be under full blown (F) express without any additional service -- and by that point, you'd probably get problems in Brooklyn too. 

With QBL CBTC, could you run 17 (F) trains for an 8.5/8.5 split? (Locals would terminate at Church and the (G) would terminate at 18th middle).

8 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

With QBL CBTC, could you run 17 (F) trains for an 8.5/8.5 split? (Locals would terminate at Church and the (G) would terminate at 18th middle).

I'm not sure we'll get to 34 on QB without rerouting, dwell times being what they are...but 8.5 still won't be enough. I'd say you'd need 10 each before you can start talking. 

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

I'm not sure we'll get to 34 on QB without rerouting, dwell times being what they are...but 8.5 still won't be enough. I'd say you'd need 10 each before you can start talking. 

How about 10 (F) , 10 <F> and 12 (E) (you would have also a (K) service and a Lex 63-59 passageway to try to incentivize people to either take the (F) or the local.)

9 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

How about 10 (F) , 10 <F> and 12 (E) (you would have also a (K) service and a Lex 63-59 passageway to try to incentivize people to either take the (F) or the local.)

If your (E) is still going to 53, those 12tph of (E) are going to be crowded as hell. 18/12 was the pre-63 operating pattern; there's a reason they changed it. I think you'd have to wait for some extensive Queens deinterlining before messing with frequencies there... 

1 hour ago, subwayfan1998 said:

Where's my Post about 500 Islamophobic Hate Crime this Year in America which i posted on this thread 7 hours ago?

It was taken care of because it was irrelevant to this thread. As per the guidelines of the website, can we please stay on-topic? Thank you...

A couple thoughts: 

- On the (F) to Coney Island, it was an R46 as I was on but onboard that train spotted 5 R46s back to back to Jamaica-179 St with another 2 behind that was a R46. After that, it was a 160.  The rotation varies. 

- The (M) to Metropolitian Av, instead is just Middle Village (observed on the FIND). 

Edited by Calvin

47 minutes ago, Calvin said:

A couple thoughts: 

- On the (F) to Coney Island, it was an R46 but onboard that train spotted 5 R46s back to back with another 2 behind that was a R46. After that, it was a 160.  The rotation varies. 

- The (M) to Metropolitian Av, instead is just Middle Village (observed on the FIND). 

I’ve seen a lot of R46’s on the (F) recently. Also, I haven’t really noticed the minor change with the designation on the (M), though I have seen pictures on Facebook about it. Well. I’ll see for myself tomorrow morning 

13 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I’ve seen a lot of R46’s on the (F) recently. Also, I haven’t really noticed the minor change with the designation on the (M), though I have seen pictures on Facebook about it. Well. I’ll see for myself tomorrow morning 

I've seen more R46s (F) Trains than R160's (F) Train

Let’s play a game:

List 100 ways to fall into the 1 hour gap in bus service (n31, n32, Q114) going from Far Rockaway into Five Towns between 2:00 PM & 3:30 PM.

I’ll start:

1) A dog is on the tracks in front of your (A) train at Rockaway Boulevard, making it so that instead of arriving at Far Rockaway at 2:15 PM as scheduled, you arrive late & just miss the last bus out of Far Rockaway for the millionth time in a row.

Edited by Axis

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Has anyone noticed a change in the 14th Street announcement on the (F) and (M) trains with the new transfer (M14A/D+) and whatnot?

Out of the 7 (F) trains i took this week, only 2 that i was on had the M14 annoucement

7 hours ago, Axis said:

Let’s play a game:

List 100 ways to fall into the 1 hour gap in bus service (n31, n32, Q114) going from Far Rockaway into Five Towns between 2:00 PM & 3:30 PM.

I’ll start:

1) A dog is on the tracks in front of your (A) train at Rockaway Boulevard, making it so that instead of arriving at Far Rockaway at 2:15 PM as scheduled, you arrive late & just miss the last bus out of Far Rockaway for the millionth time in a row.

Bro, what?