Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

It’s a great map. I do see that there are some big bottlenecks on the 60th Street Tunnel, so going by that map, I’m going to guess that making the 60th Street Tunnel connection to the Queens Blvd Line has now become a mistake that never should’ve happened.

Thanks. I rated each bottleneck by how impactful each one is.  Green stands for minor bottlenecks, while red is vice versa. Yellow is sorta in the middle. 

Regarding 11 St cut, the (N) and (W) is pretty fast coming and leaving the tunnel, but the (R) almost slow to a stop all the way to Queens Plaza.

is there a way to increase the speed there safely to say 15 mph?

26 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

Regarding 11 St cut, the (N) and (W) is pretty fast coming and leaving the tunnel, but the (R) almost slow to a stop all the way to Queens Plaza.

is there a way to increase the speed there safely to say 15 mph?

They could probably get the speed somewhat higher by getting rid of the 75-footers (space hogs...), but the sharper curves over there really make it difficult to increase speeds, especially on the Queens Boulevard end...

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/190722_1000_Transit.pdf

Even though they quadrupled the size of the notes for the last NYCT committee meeting, they couldn't bother to state what the few people at the meeting (including myself) had to say.

48324749402_27a6075e79_z.jpgScreen Shot 2019-07-19 at 3.37.05 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

• Upvote 1

@RR503 You are going to love this:

"Following completion of CBTC on that line, NYCT intends to implement CBTC on the Culvert line"

• LMAO! 3

20 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

It’s a great map. I do see that there are some big bottlenecks on the 60th Street Tunnel, so going by that map, I’m going to guess that making the 60th Street Tunnel connection to the Queens Blvd Line has now become a mistake that never should’ve happened.

It was a fix for its time when the 63 St tunnel didn't exist and the City was rapidly losing population anyways.

The real problem is that the 63 St tunnel connects with QBL west of Queens Plaza. It's the only thing IMO that makes deinterlining QBL with the current setup undesirable (in addition to the lack of tunnel between Lex-59 and Lex-63).

PM rush hour is a disaster. All the IRT lines are suspended except the (7) is down. I feel sorry for all those who have to rely on those line because there is always something going on with the subways.  The (MTA) certainly doesn’t need to keep having these disruptions because people are already flocking the subways because of poor service. 

Posted (edited)

How does it affect (1)(2)(3) on the Westside and the problem is on the Eastside 42 St-GC (4)(5)(6) ?

Edited by bwwnyc123

3 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

How does it affect (1)(2)(3) on the Westside and the problem is on the Eastside 42 St-GC (4)(5)(6) ?

It's probably a problem with the ATS system, which is present on the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6) lines. This happened earlier this summer.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, W4ST said:

It's probably a problem with the ATS system, which is present on the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6) lines. This happened earlier this summer.

Precisely, it happened two weeks ago (July 6th).

On 7/18/2019 at 7:32 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I though three times before posting this here:

Here’s an NYC Subway map that lists all bottlenecks throughout the System. Some bottlenecks include sharp curves, Poor Terminal Operations, or Service’s using interlocking’s at Grade Level. Let me know what you all think of it:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zW5OcTK4Zkc1_vlH-8LQ73k6UdrhA8hV&usp=sharing

Great map. The easiest fixes would be to have Astoria Blvd serve as a short turn terminal for the (N)(W) during peak periods as well as making more (7)s turn either at 111st or Willets. I can't understand how 71st or Euclid can have such crappy terminal ops other than the MTA's refusal to properly fumigate. The ACLU can't force the MTA to ride homeless into the yard no matter how much they scream, so start putting transit cops down there and get those trains moving. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I saw the Arnines partially empty on it's trip heading uptown while it was passing by Columbus Circle yesterday. Everyone was at the front, the rest of the train cars were almost empty. Clearly the hot weather made everyone stay home which is a surprise considering when an Arnine fan trip happens, alot of people show up for it (although this was not the case at Coney Island and 175th Street). 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

3 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

I saw the Arnines partially empty on it's trip heading uptown while it was passing by Columbus Circle yesterday. Everyone was at the front, the rest of the train cars were almost empty. Clearly the hot weather made everyone stay home which is a surprise considering when an Arnine fan trip happens, alot of people show up for it (although this was not the case at Coney Island and 175th Street). 

100º and no AC is a tough sell -- even for fanners like myself. Not to mention that half the community has problems with deodorant on a good day!

• LMAO! 8
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

100º and no AC is a tough sell -- even for fanners like myself. Not to mention that half the community has problems with deodorant on a good day!

Someone in the first car of the first (7) to Hudson Yards yelled out at Main Street, complaining about it. That was hilarious.

• LMAO! 1

IRT is FUBAR'd again. Fires this morning and now switching problems and signal problems and people assaulting employees in frustration...

Jesus Christ, man...

Is it still legal to take the (6) through the City Hall loop and the (5) (on weekends and nights) through the South Ferry loop? Also, is there a way to go through the OLD south ferry station on the (1)?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Is it still legal to take the (6) through the City Hall loop and the (5) (on weekends and nights) through the South Ferry loop? Also, is there a way to go through the OLD south ferry station on the (1)?

The old south ferry on the (1) ... whenever they have an weekend G.O where the (4) or (6) ends at Bowling Green. The (5) they fumigate the train at Bowing Green. 

42 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The old south ferry on the (1) ... whenever they have an weekend G.O where the (4) or (6) ends at Bowling Green. The (5) they fumigate the train at Bowing Green. 

So it is legal for the (5)?

is the (6) legal at city hall

• Upvote 1