SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I noticed at some stops in Manhattan the alarms on the emergency doors have sound again. It’s literally been years since I’ve heard that alarm sound, so I guess the MTA is somewhat serious about cracking down on farebeating. However they still don’t have cops in the stations when they really need them. So therefore the other day at the 59th street downtown (1) platform, the emergency door was pushed, the alarm was set off, yet a whole flock of people still rushed through the door.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I noticed at some stops in Manhattan the alarms on the emergency doors have sound again. It’s literally been years since I’ve heard that alarm sound, so I guess the MTA is somewhat serious about cracking down on farebeating. However they still don’t have cops in the stations when they really need them. So therefore the other day at the 59th street downtown (1) platform, the emergency door was pushed, the alarm was set off, yet a whole flock of people still rushed through the door.

Yes, it came out a while ago that the alarms would be reactivated at certain stations to deter farebeating. But just like last time, it’s pretty ineffective in actually stopping people from going through. As for the cops, I’ve actually noticed more of them at smaller stations lately, especially at night. I’ve proposed that a redesigned turnstile and better police surveillance could actually make a difference.

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

i mean well duh , what is a door alarm really gonna do 

19 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

Quick question, did anyone here actually use the Jerome Ave express pilot back in 2009? I’ve known about it for a while, but I’ve never actually seen anyone speak about it. How’d it go?

I used the second iteration of the Mosholu <4> Express two times when my younger brother was out of Middle School. My dad used it one time to get to 42nd Street and he remarked to me how fast it was. It's still a shame that it didn't become permanent with the second iteration because it would have helped to make the Mosholu Express so much faster than it usually is during the morning rush. I mean, the <5> and the <6> Express operate during the morning and afternoon rush as well; the only difference with the <6> Express being that it operates on weekdays as well.

3 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

My (R) train came in at about 10 Mph today at 63rd Drive-Rego Park. And the operator kept doing that til I got to Roosevelt. I’m scratching my head like “Why is the T/O going so slow?” 

That (R) train driver must have a problem operating a 46 or a 160.

42 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I used the second iteration of the Mosholu <4> Express two times when my younger brother was out of Middle School. My dad used it one time to get to 42nd Street and he remarked to me how fast it was. It's still a shame that it didn't become permanent with the second iteration because it would have helped to make the Mosholu Express so much faster than it usually is during the morning rush. I mean, the <5> and the <6> Express operate during the morning and afternoon rush as well; the only difference with the <6> Express being that it operates on weekdays as well.

I liked the second version also. They had a timed connection (at least for the interval I used it) for Kingsbridge/Fordham/183rd to transfer over to the <4> at Burnside and the times I used it both trains ran like clockwork and met (and held for each other) at Burnside seamlessly.

1 hour ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

How come the (MTA) wont try it again?

5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

How come the (MTA) wont try it again?

It somehow failed according to their statistics. They saw that stops like Kingsbridge or Fordham were more important. I really think it is a knee jerk move to say that the Mosholu <4> Express would be temporary, that they would continue making the (4) train bypass 138th in the morning rush (its bad in the morning, but not so much in the afternoon rush). The (4) train should be stopping at 138th at all times anyway, but the (5) train during the rush seems to be the only train to stop there due to a needed merge. It is one factor as to why the Mosholu interlocking south of 138th is very slow in the morning.

8 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

My (R) train came in at about 10 Mph today at 63rd Drive-Rego Park. And the operator kept doing that til I got to Roosevelt. I’m scratching my head like “Why is the T/O going so slow?” 

There were probably track workers in the area

MTA is installing devices on the (J) line center track from Broadway Junction to Myrtle Ave. They look like  antennas to me.  They are easier to obe seen by taking the Manhattan bound train because they are placed close to the Queens bound track. I screenshot the image from the video because its hard to take photo of it.

uTrpZ6d.jpg

6 minutes ago, whz1995 said:

MTA is installing devices on the (J) line center track from Broadway Junction to Myrtle Ave. They look like  antennas to me.  They are easier to obe seen by taking the Manhattan bound train because they are placed close to the Queens bound track. I screenshot the image from the video because its hard to take photo of it.

uTrpZ6d.jpg

That should be for the ultra wide band test

20 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

in the middle of AM Rush when there are no delays.

One can expect to find signal personnel on the roadbed at any time, 24/7, at least that’s how we were taught. It seems that many posters equate signal maintainers with G.O. folks which isn’t always the case. Any report of people on the roadbed necessitates a slower operation until the personnel is observed, reacts, and is in the clear. I’ve had RTO supervisors report to a reported problem area before signal folks showed up and the only way we were aware that they were there was by a radio report. The only signal protection that the motor instructor had was a flashlight. The only way I knew that I cleared the person was when he told me on his radio. That’s been my experience. Your situation may have been different.  I’ve also had a  5 minute “ push “ from the terminal where I was told to slow down until I got back on schedule ( at my discretion, not theirs ) and resumed normal operation. A different era though, YMMV. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Added content

On 7/24/2019 at 2:54 PM, 4 via Mosholu said:

It somehow failed according to their statistics. They saw that stops like Kingsbridge or Fordham were more important. I really think it is a knee jerk move to say that the Mosholu <4> Express would be temporary, that they would continue making the (4) train bypass 138th in the morning rush (its bad in the morning, but not so much in the afternoon rush). The (4) train should be stopping at 138th at all times anyway, but the (5) train during the rush seems to be the only train to stop there due to a needed merge. It is one factor as to why the Mosholu interlocking south of 138th is very slow in the morning.

They do so that the (2) is not delayed trying to get into the West Side of Manhattan. If there's two (5) trains in a row (one in the tunnel midway between 149-GC and 138 St-GC), one of them waits inside the tunnel while the other one ahead sits in the station waiting for the (4) bypassing across.

In general, right before you get to the city during the morning rush, it's important to minimize delays, especially when it comes to the (2), (3), (4), and (5), because those delays catch up in Brooklyn caused by the Junction east of Franklin Avenue where the (5) has no where else to go besides crossing to/from the local track first before the Nostrand Avenue Line itself, delaying all other trains behind one by one.

14 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

I didn’t say you said that , I was just asking how , as in how would they do it 

14 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

by building a Subway Line through George Washington Bridge which it would be very difficult.

I seem to recall reading that there were long-term plans in the 1930s to extend the subway from 168th St across the GW (which apparently was designed to take trains, unlike, say, the Verrazano or Whitestone bridges). The extension would have gone through the 174th Street storage tracks (so yes, a (C) extension) and entered onto the bridge’s lower level. I think it would have terminated at Fort Lee.  

I will say that I have mixed feelings about how effective a (C) extension to Jersey via the GW would be.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue