Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 7/24/2019 at 2:54 PM, 4 via Mosholu said:

It somehow failed according to their statistics. They saw that stops like Kingsbridge or Fordham were more important. I really think it is a knee jerk move to say that the Mosholu <4> Express would be temporary, that they would continue making the (4) train bypass 138th in the morning rush (its bad in the morning, but not so much in the afternoon rush). The (4) train should be stopping at 138th at all times anyway, but the (5) train during the rush seems to be the only train to stop there due to a needed merge. It is one factor as to why the Mosholu interlocking south of 138th is very slow in the morning.

They do so that the (2) is not delayed trying to get into the West Side of Manhattan. If there's two (5) trains in a row (one in the tunnel midway between 149-GC and 138 St-GC), one of them waits inside the tunnel while the other one ahead sits in the station waiting for the (4) bypassing across.

In general, right before you get to the city during the morning rush, it's important to minimize delays, especially when it comes to the (2), (3), (4), and (5), because those delays catch up in Brooklyn caused by the Junction east of Franklin Avenue where the (5) has no where else to go besides crossing to/from the local track first before the Nostrand Avenue Line itself, delaying all other trains behind one by one.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

I didn’t say you said that , I was just asking how , as in how would they do it 

14 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

by building a Subway Line through George Washington Bridge which it would be very difficult.

I seem to recall reading that there were long-term plans in the 1930s to extend the subway from 168th St across the GW (which apparently was designed to take trains, unlike, say, the Verrazano or Whitestone bridges). The extension would have gone through the 174th Street storage tracks (so yes, a (C) extension) and entered onto the bridge’s lower level. I think it would have terminated at Fort Lee.  

I will say that I have mixed feelings about how effective a (C) extension to Jersey via the GW would be.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

11:42pm at 14th St. Ferry leaves at Midnight.

(MTA): We’ll make Track 4 the one this (1) train terminates at.

Track 1 is empty; track 4 has a train in it.

(MTA): hold at Rector Street

Guess who’s on the 12:30 ferry...

• Like 2

If someone can explain, what exactly happens when the ATS on the IRT goes down? Do all signals immediately turn to red? 

How would R42s leave the BMT Eastern Division? Aren't they banned from Montague?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

If someone can explain, what exactly happens when the ATS on the IRT goes down? Do all signals immediately turn to red? 

ATS does not control the signal system: it controls interlockings and tracks train service.

1 hour ago, NST said:

How would R42s leave the BMT Eastern Division? Aren't they banned from Montague?

The same way the (M) does...

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, NST said:

Why are they banned from Montague?

4 hours ago, brakethrow said:

Why are they banned from Montague?

From what I've heard when redoing the Montague Tube after sandy, they did something with the roof of the tunnel that apparently made the R32's and R42's as well as Museum Trains too tall to enter the tubes, hence why they've been "banned". Not sure of the restriction is uplifted though, probably not.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I was on a southbound (D) train today ,it felt great to just go into 36th st with no stopping or anything like that .i was in the front and all signals just changed automatically like it used to before the express track shutdown. I’m sure the (R) customers are the most happy with no (N)’s getting in the way in Brooklyn anymore . (When service is normal)

Edited by Abba

Posted (edited)

Just missed a Far Rockaway-bound (A) train here at Fulton Center, because the (4) I was on took too long to leave City Hall & go between City Hall & Fulton Center. Gotta now wait 20+ minutes for the next one.

Once again, I propose for either a one-seat bus ride between Bronx & Five Towns/Far Rockaway, OR cross-honoring Unlimited Rides MetroCards between Jamaica & Cedarhurst, to compensate for the lack of competent MetroCard-able service in & out of Five Towns.

Next person to suggest ‘car’ is dead to me.

Edited by Axis

Take

7 minutes ago, Axis said:

Just missed a Far Rockaway-bound (A) train here at Fulton Center, because the (4) I was on took too long to leave City Hall & go between City Hall & Fulton Center. Gotta now wait 20+ minutes for the next one.

Once again, I propose for either a one-seat bus ride between Bronx & Five Towns/Far Rockaway, OR cross-honoring Unlimited Rides MetroCards between Jamaica & Cedarhurst, to compensate for the lack of competent MetroCard-able service in & out of Five Towns.

Take Q44SBS to either Q113 or Q114.

48 minutes ago, Axis said:

Why not take the Lefferts one and then take the Q52? There’s no demand for the service you’re suggesting...

1 hour ago, Axis said:

(4) to Grand Central > (7) to Roosevelt > (E)(F) to Union Tpke > Q10. A lot of work but test it out and see how it does for you. 

On a a side note. Why does the (MTA) run Reverse Peak (Z) trains from Broadway Junction? Is it done to fill a gap in service?

2 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

On a a side note. Why does the (MTA) run Reverse Peak (Z) trains from Broadway Junction? Is it done to fill a gap in service?

That may be as part of scheduling to have the (Z) train come back up as an alternate train east of Myrtle.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

It's returning to the yard. Same thing with the ones that leave Broadway Junction in the PM.

2 hours ago, Axis said:

Since you want that direct access, get a car.

Otherwise, stop. Much of no one is looking for a connection of that sort, and knowing that you're in an extremely niche market, take actual steps to plan around that.

16 hours ago, Abba said:

I was on a southbound (D) train today ,it felt great to just go into 36th st with no stopping or anything like that .i was in the front and all signals just changed automatically like it used to before the express track shutdown. I’m sure the (R) customers are the most happy with no (N)’s getting in the way in Brooklyn anymore . (When service is normal)

That's how I felt about taking (N) this week Queens, Manhattan Express and into Brooklyn, especially between 36 St and 59 St.

Does anybody know any EASILY ACCESSIBLE places to railfan within 1.5 hours of NYC that have RELATIVELY FREQUENT service? MNR, LIRR, Amtrak, freight, I'm fine with all!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Does anybody know any EASILY ACCESSIBLE places to railfan within 1.5 hours of NYC that have RELATIVELY FREQUENT service? MNR, LIRR, Amtrak, freight, I'm fine with all!

A NYCT train that you can reach by rail from the suburbs? (E) via PATH, Amtrak, NJTransit, or LIRR. (6)(7) via MNR. Those trains are quite frequent relative to the rest of the system.

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

A NYCT train that you can reach by rail from the suburbs? (E) via PATH, Amtrak, NJTransit, or LIRR. (6)(7) via MNR. Those trains are quite frequent relative to the rest of the system.

No, I mean railfanning thst you can get to easily from the city, whether it be by bus, subway, MNR, LIRR, NJT, PATH, whatever.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Take

Take Q44SBS to either Q113 or Q114.

Forget that. Too many cars keep gridlocking Rockaway Turnpike & Nassau Expressway.

2 minutes ago, Axis said:

Forget that. Too many cars keep gridlocking Rockaway Turnpike & Nassau Expressway.

But a direct (long-distance) bus route will magically address that.

• LMAO! 1

8 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

That's how I felt about taking (N) this week Queens, Manhattan Express and into Brooklyn, especially between 36 St and 59 St.

It was amazing but will get used to it .