SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, brakethrow said:

Why are they banned from Montague?

From what I've heard when redoing the Montague Tube after sandy, they did something with the roof of the tunnel that apparently made the R32's and R42's as well as Museum Trains too tall to enter the tubes, hence why they've been "banned". Not sure of the restriction is uplifted though, probably not.

I was on a southbound (D) train today ,it felt great to just go into 36th st with no stopping or anything like that .i was in the front and all signals just changed automatically like it used to before the express track shutdown. I’m sure the (R) customers are the most happy with no (N)’s getting in the way in Brooklyn anymore . (When service is normal)

Edited by Abba

Just missed a Far Rockaway-bound (A) train here at Fulton Center, because the (4) I was on took too long to leave City Hall & go between City Hall & Fulton Center. Gotta now wait 20+ minutes for the next one.

Once again, I propose for either a one-seat bus ride between Bronx & Five Towns/Far Rockaway, OR cross-honoring Unlimited Rides MetroCards between Jamaica & Cedarhurst, to compensate for the lack of competent MetroCard-able service in & out of Five Towns.

Next person to suggest ‘car’ is dead to me.

Edited by Axis

Take

7 minutes ago, Axis said:

Just missed a Far Rockaway-bound (A) train here at Fulton Center, because the (4) I was on took too long to leave City Hall & go between City Hall & Fulton Center. Gotta now wait 20+ minutes for the next one.

Once again, I propose for either a one-seat bus ride between Bronx & Five Towns/Far Rockaway, OR cross-honoring Unlimited Rides MetroCards between Jamaica & Cedarhurst, to compensate for the lack of competent MetroCard-able service in & out of Five Towns.

Take Q44SBS to either Q113 or Q114.

48 minutes ago, Axis said:

Why not take the Lefferts one and then take the Q52? There’s no demand for the service you’re suggesting...

1 hour ago, Axis said:

(4) to Grand Central > (7) to Roosevelt > (E)(F) to Union Tpke > Q10. A lot of work but test it out and see how it does for you. 

On a a side note. Why does the (MTA) run Reverse Peak (Z) trains from Broadway Junction? Is it done to fill a gap in service?

2 hours ago, Axis said:

Since you want that direct access, get a car.

Otherwise, stop. Much of no one is looking for a connection of that sort, and knowing that you're in an extremely niche market, take actual steps to plan around that.

16 hours ago, Abba said:

I was on a southbound (D) train today ,it felt great to just go into 36th st with no stopping or anything like that .i was in the front and all signals just changed automatically like it used to before the express track shutdown. I’m sure the (R) customers are the most happy with no (N)’s getting in the way in Brooklyn anymore . (When service is normal)

That's how I felt about taking (N) this week Queens, Manhattan Express and into Brooklyn, especially between 36 St and 59 St.

18 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Does anybody know any EASILY ACCESSIBLE places to railfan within 1.5 hours of NYC that have RELATIVELY FREQUENT service? MNR, LIRR, Amtrak, freight, I'm fine with all!

A NYCT train that you can reach by rail from the suburbs? (E) via PATH, Amtrak, NJTransit, or LIRR. (6)(7) via MNR. Those trains are quite frequent relative to the rest of the system.

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

A NYCT train that you can reach by rail from the suburbs? (E) via PATH, Amtrak, NJTransit, or LIRR. (6)(7) via MNR. Those trains are quite frequent relative to the rest of the system.

No, I mean railfanning thst you can get to easily from the city, whether it be by bus, subway, MNR, LIRR, NJT, PATH, whatever.

17 hours ago, Axis said:

Sounds like you keep getting jobbed by the MTA... Perhaps you should get a new one.

15 hours ago, Lex said:

....Much of no one is looking for a connection of that sort, and knowing that you're in an extremely niche market, take actual steps to plan around that.

11 hours ago, Lex said:
11 hours ago, Axis said:
17 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Take Q44SBS to either Q113 or Q114.

Forget that. Too many cars keep gridlocking Rockaway Turnpike & Nassau Expressway.

But a direct (long-distance) bus route will magically address that.

It's indicative of an absolvement of personal responsibility......

Niche market is right..... Public transportation exists for the masses.

18 hours ago, Axis said:

Get over your anger man, it’s very much expected to face hassles between getting over two distant parts of the city with lackluster services. Taking the (A) and (4) is still the most logical from my perspective as your ideas (from my view) likely won’t materialize, and the Q113/Q114 is more unreliable. 

As someone who rides the subways for more than an hour one way to get to work, bearing the ride from that far is usually key. otherwise you’ll never get to your destination at all, and may as well go somewhere closer.