SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

This weekend, I need to get from West Harlem to BBP Pier 5. Normally, I'd take the (1) to the (2)(3) then walk, but since trains are not running, I have to use a different option. Ideally, I'd like something with not a TON of walking time -- I'll be carrying a lot, but 10 min walk is fine.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

This weekend, I need to get from West Harlem to BBP Pier 5. Normally, I'd take the (1) to the (2)(3) then walk, but since trains are not running, I have to use a different option. Ideally, I'd like something with not a TON of walking time -- I'll be carrying a lot, but 10 min walk is fine.

(A)(C) to High Street

2 hours ago, EphraimB said:

My :20x20_px_02: train passed the (1) train at Canal St and that same (1) train caught up at Chambers St.

That's normal to happen in certain parts of the subway when an local will beat an express to a certain station....Happens to me all the time on the (4) going home...I'll past a (3) at nostrand and that same (3) will not only beat us to utica but leave before we arrive...😁..sometimes due to train sitting at utica

2 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Cause the (1) is just pulling away from Franklin Street...(2) (3)  needs to slow down to avoid an derailment caused by the  speed from being express from 14th...Thats my take on it

Hence why the timers should begin at Franklin Street, where the T/O should apply the brakes beginning at the north end of Franklin Street and screeched to a near-halt at the south end of the station, then pick up speed again the rest of the way to Chambers Street. The southbound (1) does not need timers approaching Chambers Street since it is just leaving Franklin Street and the distance is shorter between that station and Chambers Street, compared to the (2) and (3), which have to run express from 14th all the down to Chambers, picking up speed mid-route.

Generally, some timers start way too early and some other timers are just all over the place. That's too much. Examples include the (D)(N) southbound through Prospect Avenue and northbound through Union Street. The (N) northbound repeatedly applying the brakes between 59th and 36th, and northbound (A)(D) applying the brakes repeatedly between 86th and 125th. I don't think there should be any timers at all whatsoever on the (D)(N) in both directions between 36th and Atlantic.

Some examples of timers because of Express speeding segments:

(D)(N) pick up a lot of speed on 4 Av that's the reason for timers.

(A) throughout the entire line.

(A)(D) Central Park West Line.

(E)(F) on Queens Blvd line.

(2)(3) in Manhattan.

(4)(5) in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

(N)(Q) in Manhattan.

Edited by bwwnyc123

42 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Some examples of timers because of Express speeding segments:

(D)(N) pick up a lot of speed on 4 Av that's the reason for timers.

(A) throughout the entire line.

(A)(D) Central Park West Line.

(E)(F) on Queens Blvd line.

(2)(3) in Manhattan.

(4)(5) in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

(N)(Q) in Manhattan.

Fast speeds do not require timers absent sufficiently sharp curvature or a complex junction. You can design a signal system to handle any speed of traffic. The general categories of timers are:

- those that exist to regulate train speed through areas with unforgiving track or tunnel geometry (ex: sharp curves)

- those that exist to increase capacity by shortening control lines (for example on downgrades or on long express segments)

- those that were installed to reduce maximum operating speeds to ensure that trains would always be able to stop before a collision or obstruction (these are the ones added post-1995)

39 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Fast speeds do not require timers absent sufficiently sharp curvature or a complex junction. You can design a signal system to handle any speed of traffic. The general categories of timers are:

- those that exist to regulate train speed through areas with unforgiving track or tunnel geometry (ex: sharp curves)

- those that exist to increase capacity by shortening control lines (for example on downgrades or on long express segments)

- those that were installed to reduce maximum operating speeds to ensure that trains would always be able to stop before a collision or obstruction (these are the ones added post-1995)

Timers are for speed that's why the trains slow down.

20 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Timers are for speed that's why the trains slow down.

What he is saying is that fast speed alone is not a requirement for timers, otherwise the express will travel no where.

Timers are only needed to slow down trains when there are curves, junctions, downgrades, etc

Has the Central Park West (D) and Queens Blvd (F) line pick up a lot of passengers during the late night hours going Express? such as 2 AM. Previously, the (Q) used to be an all Express service in Manhattan but that was a long time ago.

Also, with the (5) ,  when the Clark St tube construction is in-effect, the route goes Express during the weekends instead of Local in Manhattan. Is there an increase to ridership for Express service overnight?

Edited by Calvin
details to be specific

43 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Also, with the (5) , it goes Express during the weekends instead of Local when the Clark St tube construction is in-effect. Has it gained an increase to overnight express service?. 

I'm not sure what your question is, so I'll say a couple of things.

When Clark Street is closed, the (5) runs express along Lexington Avenue and only Lexington Avenue (assuming no work knocks out one of the local tracks in Brooklyn or the Bronx). Since it covers quite the distance (or short-turns at Grand Central or 86th Street) and serves as a third overnight route under these circumstances, it becomes the night express.

Under normal circumstances, (4) and (6) trains run their full routes as overnight locals, whereas the (5) is short-turned at East 180th Street (no Manhattan service). During the day, the (6) runs local on its full route, the (4) runs express in Brooklyn and Manhattan and short-turns at Utica Avenue, and the (5) runs express in Manhattan to Bowling Green. It wouldn't be hard to imagine the (5) becoming an overnight express to Bowling Green, but the will to run it isn't there...

56 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Has the Central Park West (D) and Queens Blvd (F) line pick up a lot of passengers during the late night hours going Express? such as 2 AM. Previously, the (Q) used to be an all Express service in Manhattan but that was a long time ago.

Also, with the (5) , it goes Express during the weekends instead of Local when the Clark St tube construction is in-effect. Has it gained an increase to overnight express service?. 

I can't speak for the express, but the local stops on the QBL don't need additional service. I've been on (E) trains at 3-4 AM, and that's more than enough in some cases. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Has the Central Park West (D) and Queens Blvd (F) line pick up a lot of passengers during the late night hours going Express?

Central Park West has lighter ridership at night when the museum is closed and the park itself is closed too. Plus, almost everyone on the (D) train are headed to/from the Bronx. Otherwise, they would have made it completely local except for the 6th Avenue Express portion. The (A) can handle Central Park West on its own.

11 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Central Park West has lighter ridership at night when the museum is closed and the park itself is closed too. Plus, almost everyone on the (D) train are headed to/from the Bronx. Otherwise, they would have made it completely local except for the 6th Avenue Express portion. The (A) can handle Central Park West on its own.

Also, they might have to run extra trains if the (D) went local—to maintain frequency. An extreme example would be the additional cost of a quarter million dollars due to the (Q) running via tunnel instead of bridge:

8 hours ago, CenSin said:

Also, they might have to run extra trains if the (D) went local—to maintain frequency. An extreme example would be the additional cost of a quarter million dollars due to the (Q) running via tunnel instead of bridge:

I'm not even gonna front, but there's a certain someone who always posts pictures of the (D) going via local on Central Park West everytime that individual makes a photo thread of his own. Just curious, is it because the (A) is more than 20 minutes away (which I can understand), an overnight general order, a weekend general (both of which I can also understand as well), or he just really loves having the (D) go local on that stretch just because? Lol. Sorry, I just had to say it. 

Edited by Jemorie

Just took one of the special (M) trains to 145th Street. The signage on the outside of the train says “Last Stop”, and the automated announcements have it as an (M) to Myrtle-Wyckoff Aves. I guess there’s no program for an M to 145th Street. The look on people’s faces after 59th Street has been PRICELESS, so much confusion and very little signs explaining what’s  happening. The only thing more rare than an (M) on CPW would probably be the (W) on the Grand Concourse or the (D) to Far Rockaway. 

9 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

Just took one of the special (M) trains to 145th Street. The signage on the outside of the train says “Last Stop”, and the automated announcements have it as an (M) to Myrtle-Wyckoff Aves. I guess there’s no program for an M to 145th Street. The look on people’s faces after 59th Street has been PRICELESS, so much confusion and very little signs explaining what’s  happening. The only thing more rare than an (M) on CPW would probably be the (W) on the Grand Concourse or the (D) to Far Rockaway. 

MTA's method of waiting until the last minute to add or fix an AAS program is completely unprofessional. Remember the (F) via Broadway G.O and none of the (F) trains were signed up correctly because the program didnt exist yet? Or when the (W) started going to 96th St and the announcements were glitched and kept saying "This is a Queens bound (W) local train."? Does the agency not have a team to ensure that glitches like these are worked on BEFORE the actual G.O starts?