SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

46 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

MTA's method of waiting until the last minute to add or fix an AAS program is completely unprofessional. Remember the (F) via Broadway G.O and none of the (F) trains were signed up correctly because the program didnt exist yet? Or when the (W) started going to 96th St and the announcements were glitched and kept saying "This is a Queens bound (W) local train."? Does the agency not have a team to ensure that glitches like these are worked on BEFORE the actual G.O starts? 

That’s the same thing the (M) announcement says when it heads uptown to 145th

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

Just took one of the special (M) trains to 145th Street. The signage on the outside of the train says “Last Stop”, and the automated announcements have it as an (M) to Myrtle-Wyckoff Aves. I guess there’s no program for an M to 145th Street. The look on people’s faces after 59th Street has been PRICELESS, so much confusion and very little signs explaining what’s  happening. The only thing more rare than an (M) on CPW would probably be the (W) on the Grand Concourse or the (D) to Far Rockaway. 

Now you know how my C/R and I felt nightly when we had the first (5) R142’s to Utica. We refused to sign them up as (5) to Flatbush so we had Bowling Green destination signs. We had a TSS ride us one time who was critical of our procedure but we told him that we knew what we were doing. When we got to Bowling Green we made manual announcements from there to Franklin Avenue and really poured it on there. Luckily we had a great group of regular riders from the Redbird era who helped us out with those who were confused. IIRC it was a few months before the announcement problem was cleared up. We, too, wondered why it took so long to get corrected. Just my experiences. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Added content

17 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Now you know how my C/R and I felt nightly when we had the first (5) R142’s to Utica. We refused to sign them up as (5) to Flatbush so we had Bowling Green destination signs. When we got to Bowling Green we made manual announcements from there to Franklin Avenue and really poured it on there. Luckily we had a great group of regular riders from the Redbird era who helped us out with those who were confused. IIRC it was a few months before the announcement problem was cleared up. We, too, wondered why it took so long to get corrected. Just my experiences. Carry on.

Wait, so you had Bowling Green signs in Manhattan, with the result that you kept off the train anyone who wanted to go to Brooklyn?

20 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

Just took one of the special (M) trains to 145th Street. The signage on the outside of the train says “Last Stop”, and the automated announcements have it as an (M) to Myrtle-Wyckoff Aves. I guess there’s no program for an M to 145th Street. The look on people’s faces after 59th Street has been PRICELESS, so much confusion and very little signs explaining what’s  happening. The only thing more rare than an (M) on CPW would probably be the (W) on the Grand Concourse or the (D) to Far Rockaway. 

how would the (W) get on Grand Concourse?

11 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

Wait, so you had Bowling Green signs in Manhattan, with the result that you kept off the train anyone who wanted to go to Brooklyn?

Like I said we had regular folks who rode with us and, if we forgot the manual “ to Brooklyn “ part after the Bowling Green automated one they would chime in. We worked together for 13+ years and we had regular riders. If folks would pass us up the next five  (5)trains and the (4) trains in the mix all went to Utica . Most people on Lexington knew when the last train to Brooklyn was due.Never had a complaint.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Additional content

On 8/17/2019 at 9:05 AM, Lawrence St said:

MTA's method of waiting until the last minute to add or fix an AAS program is completely unprofessional. Remember the (F) via Broadway G.O and none of the (F) trains were signed up correctly because the program didnt exist yet? Or when the (W) started going to 96th St and the announcements were glitched and kept saying "This is a Queens bound (W) local train."? Does the agency not have a team to ensure that glitches like these are worked on BEFORE the actual G.O starts? 

I thought the (M) had a program to 145th street.

But honestly I agree with you and others on here. Why can’t the (MTA) just cover themselves especially when they know a (M) a (F) and a (E) can very well be rerouted up Central Park West. Yes it is rare, but so is a (D) train to Far Rockaway or a (C) to Stillwell Ave. 

I can’t stand how sloppy the MTA is and to make matters worst they were just signing (M) trains up to terminate anywhere along 6th Ave. I saw a train signed up to 42nd street Bryant Park, 34th Street, Essex Street, it was just a mess. Then the train crew had to say “this is not the last stop“ and so on.

59 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I thought the (M) had a program to 145th street.

But honestly I agree with you and others on here. Why can’t the (MTA) just cover themselves especially when they know a (M) a (F) and a (E) can very well be rerouted up Central Park West. Yes it is rare, but so is a (D) train to Far Rockaway or a (C) to Stillwell Ave. 

I can’t stand how sloppy the MTA is and to make matters worst they were just signing (M) trains up to terminate anywhere along 6th Ave. I saw a train signed up to 42nd street Bryant Park, 34th Street, Essex Street, it was just a mess. Then the train crew had to say “this is not the last stop“ and so on.

There is an (M) program to 145 Street. The problem is it's heavily glitched (I mean it says its a 145 Street bound (A) express train at 7th Avenue and a Myrtle-Wyckoff bound (M) practically everywhere else) so they went to plan B which was use the 42nd-Bryant Park program and make manual announcements from there.

8 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

There is an (M) program to 145 Street. The problem is it's heavily glitched (I mean it says its a 145 Street bound (A) express train at 7th Avenue and a Myrtle-Wyckoff bound (M) practically everywhere else) so they went to plan B which was use the 42nd-Bryant Park program and make manual announcements from there.

I thought the train crew could set the destination of a route and then turn off the announcements in favor of making manual announcements.

So the outside would still have (M) 145th street but the interior would say “Please Listen For Announcements”. At least that would reduce the amount of confusion 

We really take our great transit system for granted.

This morning I went for a blood test, leaving the house at 6:30 and going two stops on the subway, only waiting a couple minutes for a train, walking for a few minutes to the place, arriving early. After the blood test, I walked for a few minutes, had something to eat at my favorite bagel place. Then I walked a minute to the subway, and got on a train right as it came in. I just got home. 

In almost every other place in the country, I would have to drive. Keep in mind, I wasn't able to have anything to eat before the test. So, I would be driving on an empty stomach early in the morning. In suburbs, uses are strictly segregated, so it would have to be an at least 15 minute drive. With traffic, it would be longer. Before I could get to the place, I would need to find parking. After the blood test, I wouldn't be able to quickly go nearby to get something to eat. That would be another 15 minute drive plus parking. After having something to eat, I would have to then drive all the way home.

Great public transit is freeing. I hadn't considered what this trip would have been like without good transit until this morning. I would love to here about other trips you guys take that would be much harder without good transit.