SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

47 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

At least from my understanding, customers along QBL who want to go to Coney Island can take the (G) directly without transferring.

Lmao. Let’s be realistic here, almost no one travels from one end to the other. You’re trying to accomplish something for the least number of riders. Are you implying that the (F) is packed all the way to Stillwell from Queens?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Lmao. Let’s be realistic here, almost no one travels from one end to the other. You’re trying to accomplish something for the least number of riders. Are you implying that the (F) is packed all the way to Stillwell from Queens?

I was referring to when the Bergen St interlocking was out, causing the (G) to run to Coney Island instead of the (F) .

53 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Customers along QBL wanting to go to Culver are an extremely small demographic, and do not require an expensive and capital project-disrupting service change to save them a simple transfer at Hoyt Schermerhorn or Court Square. 

The (G) takes too long-it is slow, indirect, runs infrequently, has short trains, and involves a transfer. Unless you are at a QBL local stop west of Roosevelt or Queens Plaza, QBL riders will always take the (F). Just bring a book and some water before the (F) gets screwed up (Then some (F)s will run via Crosstown).

33 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I was referring to when the Bergen St interlocking was out, causing the (G) to run to Coney Island instead of the (F) .

Your post doesn't even make sense to be honest. You previously stated that at least to your own understanding, the (G) being extended to/from Forest Hills allows Queens Blvd Local customers direct Coney Island access. I then asked you if the (F) (outside of this GO where the Bergen St interlocking is closed) is packed all the way from Queens to Stillwell enough to justify having the (G) (under the aforementioned GO) go all the way to/from the Queens Blvd Line and you literally ignored that question.

Edited by Jemorie

First off. No one from Queens Blvd is trying to go ALL THE WAY to Coney Island. If the did, they’d likely stick to the (F). As for the (G) being on Queens Blvd, while I don’t agree with it, I can only see it work between Western Queens and points of Brooklyn. Now yes, the transfer at Court Square does exist but it’s a pain in the ass sometimes. 

But for now, let’s just leave the (G) at Court Square until we have no other choice but to extend it (Which seems like a long way off)

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

First off. No one from Queens Blvd is trying to go ALL THE WAY to Coney Island. If the did, they’d likely stick to the (F). As for the (G) being on Queens Blvd, while I don’t agree with it, I can only see it work between Western Queens and points of Brooklyn. Now yes, the transfer at Court Square does exist but it’s a pain in the ass sometimes. 

But for now, let’s just leave the (G) at Court Square until we have no other choice but to extend it (Which seems like a long way off)

What about extending it to Queens Plaza?

If there were anything that needed to be changed about the (G) train's current service pattern, the northern terminus at Court Square would't be it.

An argument could be made for a better short turn terminal in the southbound direction at either Hoyt-Schermerhorn or Bergen Street to allow for additional short turn (G) trains to travel the full length of the Crosstown line in peak periods (rather than terminating at Bedford Nostrand as was planned for the original (L) shutdown). 

20 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

If there were anything that needed to be changed about the (G) train's current service pattern, the northern terminus at Court Square would't be it.

An argument could be made for a better short turn terminal in the southbound direction at either Hoyt-Schermerhorn or Bergen Street to allow for additional short turn (G) trains to travel the full length of the Crosstown line in peak periods (rather than terminating at Bedford Nostrand as was planned for the original (L) shutdown). 

An extension to 18th Av so the (F) doesn’t have to deal with fumigating (G) s would be great...

23 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

At least from my understanding, customers along QBL who want to go to Coney Island can take the (G) directly without transferring.

This might be unpopular with some, but the (G) should never run on Queens Blvd again. It would be an immense waste of capacity, as it was when it used to run to Forest Hills. Similarly to the Brown (brownM) served South Brooklyn, the (G) was very underutilized in Queens. It’s time to remove the nostalgia goggles, my friend.

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

An extension to 18th Av so the (F) doesn’t have to deal with fumigating (G) s would be great...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could do this for 'free.' (G)s usually take their time (12-15 mins or thereabouts) relaying at Church, and the roundtrip to 18th is like 7 or 8 mins. 

4 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I am not as familiar with ops on the Culver Line, so this might be a stupid question. Are (G)s stored at Church Avenue Yard overnight? How many run light from CIY?

Not many, most overnight at Church. Don't quote me on this because this is just anecdata, but I think (G) line assignments break down to 5 on the overnights and 13 for the AM, with the put-in split 5/3 in favor of Church. 

In the (G) to 18 scenario, you'd just do those put ins from Church. I can't imagine demand at Ditmas and 18 would be high enough to warrant some reverse move up there. 

22 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

First of all, even of the (1)(2)(3) wasn't out the (M) would have had to have gone to 145th on those weekends because the (F) was rerouted to 53rd going southbound.

Not entirely true. The (F) Train G.O had to do with work between south of 36th Street and 21st Street-Queensbridge. Plus when they were doing the G.O during the weeknights the last few weeks the (M) Train was not affected by it at all.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The relay at Church Av is WAY to long for the (G).

It’s actually not so bad . The relays  have greatly improved at stations like Utica Ave (4) and Church Ave (G) . Many times a train comes into Utica and it can be out a minute later ! It used to be much worse ! Trains used to line up to almost Franklin waiting to get it at times . The (G) by Church is not so bad . I do it many sundays . Almost never do we have to wait for (G) to leave !

22 minutes ago, Abba said:

It’s actually not so bad . The relays  have greatly improved at stations like Utica Ave (4) and Church Ave (G) . Many times a train comes into Utica and it can be out a minute later ! It used to be much worse ! Trains used to line up to almost Franklin waiting to get it at times . The (G) by Church is not so bad . I do it many sundays . Almost never do we have to wait for (G) to leave !

Church is pretty terrible, and is a significant source of delay in (F) service. On the inbound, your average weekday (G) dwells for around 1:40 and then takes its sweet time moving out of the station thanks to the one shot GT10 restrictions on the ramp to the yard. As if that isn’t enough pain for the poor (F), (F)s lose an additional 20 seconds to DGTs caused by the (G)’s yard lineup. (It’s worth noting here that most (G)s at Church are *not* double ended — crews relay their own trains. Unsure of why (there are switchmen assigned), but that fact alone significantly increases terminal congestion).

Outbound, if the tower gives the (G) a lineup into Church ahead of an (F), you may be okay, but in the all-too-frequent scenario where crews aren’t in the right place or a dispatcher messes up, you may lose time there too as the (G) waits to begin its trip. 

As is true in most areas of the system, you could likely make some headway at Church simply through more rigorous operations practices, but with the infrastructure issues that exist at the location (slow leaving speeds, crappy relay area) I honestly think we’re better of with 18. Sure, you’ll still have the potential for crew delays on the northbound side, but one delay node is better than 2.