SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

What’s a battery run

Well, I’m glad you asked. :)

On 3/3/2017 at 1:12 AM, Snowblock said:

A battery run is a sequence of trains leaving the terminal after a long delay for crowd control. Like if there was a long delay in northbound (A) service up to 207 followed by a conga line of (A) trains coming up, the first one would run non-stop to 125, the second one leave right behind it and run non-stop to 168, and the third make regular stops. That term gets constantly misused on the message boards - a battery run is a SEQUENCE of trains, a skip or run is when a SINGLE train bypasses stops to make up time.

Also, we DO run skips between 168 and 207 when needed.

6 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

My (J) this morning went express from Alabama to Jamaica Center , only stopping at Crescent , Woodhaven and Sutphin Blvd , has that ever happened before ?

As someone who lives on the (J) line and rides it almost everyday, that does happen. It usually happens when the (J) is full entering Broadway Junction while the platform on that station itself is full up to the point you're forced to wait on top of the stairs if you're unlucky.

5 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Probably a Battery Run

I don't think it's a battery run per the definition. Usually it's only 1 (J) that makes express stops, the the second making all stops as I've noticed a couple of times on the line (unless the delays were a LOT worse).

4 hours ago, CenSin said:

Where did the full subway maps go on the website, by the way? I can’t find the PDFs. The full ones have the station names, routes, and accessibility marker by each dot. The late night map still has them, but not the regular map.

Well, I found it here: https://new.mta.info/sites/default/files/2019-04/subway_map_web.pdf

Did they maybe update the website this afternoon when I was not looking? 😐

4 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

I was just on the (1), and in the tunnel between 103 and 110, I saw an R142A on the southbound track. Are R142As coming to the (1)? Or was it a (2) that for some reason was running on the (1) line? What is it?

There was a stalled train at 110st that rerouted (2) and (3) trains on the (1) line 

On 9/18/2019 at 8:32 PM, Axis said:

Any particular reason why departures out of Far Rockaway on the (A) are 8:07 PM then 8:34 PM tonight? Just couldn’t be assed to have something in between?

9 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

They're scheduled at 8:12 and 8:32. Looks like the first one left 5 minutes early for some reason.

7 hours ago, Axis said:

Wrong. 8:07, 8:25, 8:42. 

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I see 8:07, 8:24+, 8:41+, and 8:57+ for this evening.

Merely semantics.

I swear, this is one of the many things I personally don't like about the (MTA). The (A) has a pretty sloppy ass schedule when it comes to departing from both Far Rockaway and Lefferts Boulevard respectively northbound at certain times of the day, especially in the evenings after 8 p.m. I know scheduling is not easy and all, but if the (A) runs every 10 minutes (6 tph) west of Rockaway Boulevard, then the minimum wait east of Rockaway Boulevard should be 20 minutes (3 tph) on both branches. Instead, we get 25-30+ minute waits. After 8:58 p.m., the wait is 23 minutes until 9:21 p.m. Then a 25 minute wait until 9:46 p.m. 9 minutes later at 9:55, the train is designated for Euclid Avenue and the next train to Inwood doesn't depart from Far Rockaway until 10:12 p.m. Next train doesn't leave until 24 minutes later at 10:36, then up till midnight, trains are generally leaving the terminal at half-hour headways. Same goes for Lefferts Boulevard too.

What the hell...

14 hours ago, Jemorie said:

I swear, this is one of the many things I personally don't like about the (MTA). The (A) has a pretty sloppy ass schedule when it comes to departing from both Far Rockaway and Lefferts Boulevard respectively northbound at certain times of the day, especially in the evenings after 8 p.m. I know scheduling is not easy and all, but if the (A) runs every 10 minutes (6 tph) west of Rockaway Boulevard, then the minimum wait east of Rockaway Boulevard should be 20 minutes (3 tph) on both branches. Instead, we get 25-30+ minute waits. After 8:58 p.m., the wait is 23 minutes until 9:21 p.m. Then a 25 minute wait until 9:46 p.m. 9 minutes later at 9:55, the train is designated for Euclid Avenue and the next train to Inwood doesn't depart from Far Rockaway until 10:12 p.m. Next train doesn't leave until 24 minutes later at 10:36, then up till midnight, trains are generally leaving the terminal at half-hour headways. Same goes for Lefferts Boulevard too.

What the hell...

Why can’t the (C) get extended to Lefferts Blvd during that time In the evening to maintain decent headway’s for each branch. Merging shouldn’t be too much of a problem than it would be if you were to have the (C)  running to Lefferts during rush hour. The only issue I see is the (A) and it’s bunching. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

8 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Why can’t the (C) get extended to Lefferts Blvd during that time In the evening to maintain decent headway’s for each branch. Merging shouldn’t be too much of a problem than it would be if you were to have the (C)  running to Lefferts during rush hour. The only issue I see is the (A) and it’s bunching. 

No....

The (A) just needs to be rescheduled. That is it. So that headways are not longer than 20 minutes east of Rockaway Blvd. If the (A) is on 30 minute headways on both branches, then the headways west of Rockaway Blvd is 15 minutes. That's not good.

8 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I swear, there has to be a law on these forums that the C to Lefferts idea MUST be brought up every 2 weeks or so. No matter how many times it gets disproven, explained, or argued against, we always end up here. 

1 hour ago, Cabanamaner said:

I swear, there has to be a law on these forums that the C to Lefferts idea MUST be brought up every 2 weeks or so. No matter how many times it gets disproven, explained, or argued against, we always end up here. 

I actually proposed a (C) to Lefferts as well in the proposals thread. The difference with my plan is that while the (C) would still go to Lefferts, it would now do so as an express. With new construction, local service on Fulton would be replaced by a rerouted (R), which would operate between Astoria and Euclid Avenue (Lefferts Blvd late nights) on an increased frequency (15 trains per hour). Discontinued segments of the (R) would be replaced by other services. This proposal would allow for an increase in service on all tracks on the Fulton Street Line (15 on the local track and 25 on the express (15 (A) and 10 (C) trains)).

Originally I proposed the (C) go to Rockaway Park and the (A) go to both Lefferts and Far Rockaway. This was dropped because even with the express (C), scheduling issues would occur. This was changed to having the (C) to Lefferts and the (A) split into 7.5 (A) trains to Far Rockaway and 7.5 (H) trains to Rockaway Park, and then changed to my current plan to all (C) trains to Lefferts and all (A) trains to Far Rockaway, along with a modified (S) Shuttle service, which would run between Rockaway Park and Broad Channel at all times except late nights, when service is extended to Euclid Avenue to reduce wait times. There would be an increase in headway’s on shuttle trains, and enhancements to Q53 bus service to make up the loss of (A) trains to Rockaway Park (though I may still have some (A)’s to Rockaway Park. I just got lazy and didn’t add it in to the map).

Ugh, guys really. Once again, the issue is not lack of (C) service to and from Lefferts Blvd. I don't know how the hell that came into this conversation to be honest. The issue is the (A) transiting from its evening 10-minute headway to its early overnight 15-minute headway once the (C) stops running, resulting in half-hour headways on both branches instead of 20-minute headways. I looked at the printed schedule for the line more and more carefully. By midnight, headways on both branches head back to 20 minutes with the Lefferts Blvd Shuttle beginning its run.

The full (A) should be running every 20 minutes on the entire line (Far Rockaway-Inwood) along with the Lefferts Blvd Shuttle so that neither branches are getting service every half an hour just for a short period of time.