SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, MTA Rail Fan said:

That's not the case with ALL R46's. Some have been given the enhancements in 2017 which improved speakers for announcements, but it can also be due to how close or how far the conductor is to the speaker. It's not mainly the R46's to be known as a problem or blamed upon. Some conductors either forget or don't place it up thinking people will know. There's not much to blame except that the G.O wasn't explained properly. 

I’m aware that not all the R46’s have those problems. However there is still too many that show the wrong destination. You can have the first half of the train say one thing and the second half say another thing. I think this definitely falls on the MTA for half adding enhancements. The MTA is notorious for bringing updates to some trains and abandoning the rest. That’s why for example a bunch of Jamaica’s R160s never received yellow poles and floor mats by the door and why some R46s have old codes and others have been upgraded. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m aware that not all the R46’s have those problems. However there is still too many that show the wrong destination. You can have the first half of the train say one thing and the second half say another thing. I think this definitely falls on the MTA for half adding enhancements. The MTA is notorious for bringing updates to some trains and abandoning the rest. That’s why for example a bunch of Jamaica’s R160s never received yellow poles and floor mats by the door and why some R46s have old codes and others have been upgraded. 

That's true. However, even if the destination signs says one thing and the other half also says another thing, it's the conductors job to place it. Even if they're half different from one another, they will still end up having the same terminal and same thing. It's the conductor who technically controls those destinations signs. It's true that the MTA is notorious for bringing updates to some trains and abandoning the rest, but you have to remember that the MTA has neglected some of it's trains up till now. That's why most of the trains were rebuilt in the GOH program back in the 1980s and some were left in graffiti even before the GOH program. Although we have Andy Byford now, he should be able to have the MTA stop neglecting it's trains. Just remember that the yard controls the fleets, not the MTA directly. That's why there's half enhanced sets and sets that weren't enhanced.

https://sunnysidepost.com/mta-to-install-safety-netting-under-elevated-tracks-across-new-york?fbclid=IwAR2JkqlUQtWaI2G35XlEKeZh_8Mv2RNX8wMbpgBs8kbn1pZWw2YKE0aGwgg

There may be a plan to install safety nettings under the elevated tracks other than the (7) Flushing Av such as:  
Fulton St (J)(Z) 

McDonald Av (F) 

Jerome Av (4) 

Southern Blvd (2)(5)  and (6)  Westchester Av

86 St on the (D) 

Edited by Calvin

There's a R68 (Q) train heading back down Coney Island via 6 Av

Also, with the (Q) via the (F) and (B) line, it takes 16-20 minutes from Grand St @10:21 PM to Dekalb Av @10:41 PM, b/c of train traffic with two other lines using the same track via the Bridge. 

Edited by Calvin

The baseball fan in me wants to see Tampa Bay upset Houston so that the Yankees have an easier path to the World Series (Tampa vs NYY would start Saturday at home)

The railfan in me wants to see Houston win so that the Yankees start that series on the road (Houston has the better W-L record), enabling (5) service to run via Jerome all weekend long.

I'm really conflicted...

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The baseball fan in me wants to see Tampa Bay upset Houston so that the Yankees have an easier path to the World Series (Tampa vs NYY would start Saturday at home)

The railfan in me wants to see Houston win so that the Yankees start that series on the road (Houston has the better W-L record), enabling (5) service to run via Jerome all weekend long.

I'm really conflicted...

I wouldn't be so quick to want to play Tampa..... (The better of) Those teams that have to rely on doing the "little things"/intangibles right to be competitive in this league, the Yankees tend to have a tougher time with....

I'm actually pulling for Tampa though, because I'm beyond tired of hearing how supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (or however you spell that shit) Zach Steinke, Hobbit Cole & Just-in-my Verlingerie are as a pitching staff.... I'm not holding my breath though.

If Houston ends up winning, they can catch that fade though either way.... No fux given.

Edited by B35 via Church

52 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Are R160’s on the (J) rare? I took that line today for the first time in a while, expecting an R179 but ended up getting an R160 (I didn’t mind at all, I love the 160’s 🙂).

How many R179 trains are on the (J) and how many R160’s are on the (J)?

The (J) uses R160s more than anything else. They sometimes run back to back.

As far as assignments, I believe it uses 8-10 sets of 160s and almost the same for 179s.

On a separate note, is there any reason Subway time shows the (7) running at 8-minute headways when it’s scheduled to run every 4-6? I checked and there are no GOs or any planned work along the line for this weekend. There isn’t the first time I’ve noticed either.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

30 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

The (J) uses R160s more than anything else. They sometimes run back to back.

As far as assignments, I believe it uses 8-10 sets of 160s and almost the same for 179s.

On a separate note, is there any reason Subway time shows the (7) running at 8-minute headways when it’s supposed to be every 4-6? I checked and there are no GOs or any planned work along the line for this weekend. I’ve noticed this a few times.

I've always thought there were more R179s than R160s on the (J) by 2-3 trains.

1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

On a separate note, is there any reason Subway time shows the (7) running at 8-minute headways when it’s scheduled to run every 4-6? I checked and there are no GOs or any planned work along the line for this weekend. There isn’t the first time I’ve noticed either.

You would think they'd run as many (7) trains as possible to get people off the overburdened (E)(F) and (N) trains in Queens, as well as to get some people off the (L)...

Nope. 125% capacity or bust.

2 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

They're running a supplement schedule this weekend.

8 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

And there's an (apparently really popular) festival at Citi Field all this weekend too? Good grief.

Why don’t they write that (7) trains are running every 8 min? They do that with other trains when headways are increased. It may not be sharing tracks with other trains but it’s nice to let people know anyway.

Edited by Abba

20 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

And there's an (apparently really popular) festival at Citi Field all this weekend too? Good grief.

Yeah, Rolling Loud.

Also, not the first time they've done these types of things during major events. I believe it was last year when that "urgent" work was done suspending the (7) west of Queensboro Plaza on the same weekend when both Comic Con (Javits Center) and the BTS concert (Citifield) were occurring. 

17 minutes ago, Abba said:

Why don’t they write that (7) trains are running every 8 min? They do that with other trains when headways are increased. It may not be sharing tracks with other trains but it’s nice to let people know anyway.

Because they’re trying to save on paper. If they put the (7) service cut on the website that means another entry on the weekend changes posters that go up at every station, which wastes their ink and paper, and creates more work for the people in charge of distributing those posters.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:50 PM, Snorunts said:

Same here, except I thought they had WAY more R179’s than R160’s.

The assignment is practically half&half for the (J) except the R179’s run more in rotation since the (M) needs the R160’s as a priority. They’re not trying to have R179’s on the (M). You’ll see more R160’s on the (J) during weekends since R179’s get inspected rigorously during off peak and weekend days. Same goes for the (C) you’ll see more R32’s on the road during the weekend but weekdays it’s almost half R179 and Half R32.

Edited by VIP