SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

I thought they were there for a while now?

Nope for the past few months, the MTA only had those pink laminated signs in the stations pointing out the late night and weekend extension of the (M). However I don’t see them at 57th street and I just passed through there the other day. 

Can't believe how terrible those dumb yellow poles on the 62As sets are starting to look. MTA, in its infinite wisdom, used some cheap paint rather than enamel so on some of the cars the paint has completely chipped off. 2056 is one of them. Looked dumb to start with, now looks worse.

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Random thought: I haven’t been on the (7) train in quite a while. However, through my observation this past weekend to Willets Point I noticed one 79xx car set with a complete 72xx, 73xx, 74xx car set.

Just a little enlightenment to why no full 79xx car set? 

I believe there's organizing going on for this line's car assignments. The 79xx's are meant to be served as a C-car (extra car to be inserted in each 10 car set of 7211-7590, such as 7221-7230 (7900). 7899 is an exception of 7211-7220. (7811-7898 = 8 11 car trains)

38 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I believe there's organizing going on for this line's car assignments. The 79xx's are meant to be served as a C-car (extra car to be inserted in each 10 car set of 7211-7590, such as 7221-7230 (7900). 7899 is an exception of 7211-7220. (7811-7898 = 8 11 car trains)

Appreciate the enlightenment.  

So I figured out why the (2) and (5) each have “assigned” tracks at the Flatbush Avenue terminal compared to the (N) and (W) leaving from either track at the Ditmars Blvd terminal. I believe since they run on two separate Manhattan trunklines, they don’t want to confuse passengers at Flatbush into boarding and questioning whether or not the train will be a (2) or a (5). They may run on the same trunk in Brooklyn but separate in Manhattan. Compared to the (N) and (W), who run on the same corridors in both Queens and in Manhattan. Only difference is that in Manhattan, one is express and the other is local. Nevertheless, they still run alongside and/or on the same tracks with each other.

I could be wrong though.

5 hours ago, Jemorie said:

So I figured out why the (2) and (5) each have “assigned” tracks at the Flatbush Avenue terminal compared to the (N) and (W) leaving from either track at the Ditmars Blvd terminal. I believe since they run on two separate Manhattan trunklines, they don’t want to confuse passengers at Flatbush into boarding and questioning whether or not the train will be a (2) or a (5). They may run on the same trunk in Brooklyn but separate in Manhattan. Compared to the (N) and (W), who run on the same corridors in both Queens and in Manhattan. Only difference is that in Manhattan, one is express and the other is local. Nevertheless, they still run alongside and/or on the same tracks with each other.

I could be wrong though.

Flatbush has side platforms (and no crossover/crossunder), so it's not easy to just go to the other side if the train turns out to be there. (Unless you wait at the southern end of the platform, and I doubt the MTA wants that area to be crowded). So it makes sense for people to organize themselves based on which train they need, the location of which is predetermined.

At Astoria, it doesn't really matter what track the train is on, since the platform allows access to both tracks.

Edited by P3F

2 hours ago, P3F said:

Flatbush has side platforms (and no crossover/crossunder), so it's not easy to just go to the other side if the train turns out to be there. (Unless you wait at the southern end of the platform, and I doubt the MTA wants that area to be crowded). So it makes sense for people to organize themselves based on which train they need, the location of which is predetermined.

At Astoria, it doesn't really matter what track the train is on, since the platform allows access to both tracks.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

It looks like the long closed entrances to the Broad Street (J) station are finally being sealed. If I’m not mistaken, these were closed after 9/11 since they’re directly next to the NYSE. 

I recall reading an article a few years ago about elevators that were planned for this station, but residents of the neighborhood opposed it due to fears of terrorism. It’s as ridiculous as it sounds.

raw?appid=YMailNoble&ymreqid=0d14248b-0f

raw?appid=YMailNoble&ymreqid=0d14248b-0f

Is there any idea when the Flushing Stops north of 52 Street are going to get renovated? Stations like 52, 69, 82, 90, 103, 111 sts still have those old "wavy" windscreens and dont have the yellow "legos" on the edge of the platform. I do like those older Windscreens b/c of nostalgia, but just wondering when the (7) is going to get those modern updates like Pelham or the Jerome Stations. My family has lived on the Flushing line since the late 80s and everything looks the same. Don't need ESI, but some upgrades would be nice. Does anybody else know other elevated parts in the system with those older windscreens?

103 especially has been looking really depressing

103 lookin crusty

74 With the modern updates

Edited by Q23 via 108
Added Visual Aid

1 hour ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Is there any idea when the Flushing Stops north of 52 Street are going to get renovated? Stations like 52, 69, 82, 90, 103, 111 sts still have those old "wavy" windscreens and dont have the yellow "legos" on the edge of the platform. I do like those older Windscreens b/c of nostalgia, but just wondering when the (7) is going to get those modern updates like Pelham or the Jerome Stations. My family has lived on the Flushing line since the late 80s and everything looks the same. Don't need ESI, but some upgrades would be nice. Does anybody else know other elevated parts in the system with those older windscreens?

Are there any other lines with the old windscreens? It feels like the lines that still had them (Astoria, Jamaica, Culver, Liberty) have been renovated, so I don't know if anywhere else is left.

1 hour ago, Q23 via 108 said:

103 lookin crusty

74 With the modern updates

Woodhaven Blvd to Cypress Hills on the (J) line still have the old windscreens.