Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

How about you actually contribute something to this forum rather than just spewing insults everywhere...

I tried to answer a simple question concerning, Overnight Express service and if it should be discontinued? What was wrong that question? Because other Boroughs have Overnight Express service except Brooklyn. And you all could not even give a straight answer all acting foolish.

Edited by bwwnyc123

3 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

I tried to answer a simple question concerning, Overnight Express service and if it should be discontinued? What was wrong that question? Because other Boroughs have Overnight Express service except Brooklyn.

And you all could not even give a straight answer all acting foolish.

Edited by bwwnyc123

9 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

And you all could not even give a straight answer all acting foolish.

Are we reading the same forum?

On 10/25/2019 at 2:31 PM, paulrivera said:

There’s less merging involved with the (D) running express in Manhattan overnight ( (A) and (F) )

In theory it could run express overnight in Brooklyn also since the (R) runs to lower Manhattan now, but the GO’s constantly knock out the (R) past 36th Street so they’re better off leaving it alone, and DeKalb needs 6th Avenue service overnight (which is a big pain to do if the (D) runs express on 4th Avenue.)

On 10/25/2019 at 2:49 PM, Lawrence St said:

I'd prefer the (D) to be 4th Av express at all times since the (N) and (R) can handle 4th Av Local by itself. 

And to whomever said why the (D) is express at late night is because of the following;

1. Theres no point in running the (D) 6th Av Local to serve only two stops.

2. The (A) replaces the (C) during late nights so it makes no sense to have the (D) run along CPW Local. That, and its takes the longest time to go from 59th St to 205th St if it were to run local.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:20 PM, Around the Horn said:

The express tracks on 4th Avenue are reserved late nights for work trains departing 38th Street yard and returning before the AM rush (except when there's a G.O. on 4th Av of course)

I see three answers to your question right here.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Around the Horn said:

Well thank you for being so late.

And what about the Fulton St Line (A)(C) ? Also does not have a overnight exp service.

6 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Edited by bwwnyc123

How do the put-ins work for the (B) and (Q) trains that start from C.I/Stillwell Yard since the (N) line part is closed for the winter flood protection?

Edited by Calvin

42 minutes ago, Calvin said:

How do the put-ins work for the (B) and (Q) trains that start from C.I/Stillwell Yard since the (N) line part is closed for the winter flood protection?

They don’t go via Sea Beach line via yard. The B and Q put ins are stored on A-D tracks at Stillwell yard and operate via the D from there onto 3/4 track into Stillwell from the west end direction. Usually the R160’s for the Q are at the Coney Island yard section adjacent to the Culver yard though, so the move isn’t hindering the flood protection work. The work is being done on the bypass tracks that via Stillwell yard into Stillwell terminal. 

6 hours ago, RR503 said:

Anyone get RFW footage from the Low-V this weekend?

I have footage -- waiting for it to upload to Google Drive, so I can post it!

20 hours ago, Calvin said:

Similar question, what happens to the AM and PM (Q) trains that run to 96th/2nd via Sea Beach/4th Ave and the return trips?

1 hour ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Similar question, what happens to the AM and PM (Q) trains that run to 96th/2nd via Sea Beach/4th Ave and the return trips?

They can go via West End, right? 

Question:

if a train has a door problem and cannot be overcome. Do they have to discharge the whole train or in some cases just the car that has the issue?

11 minutes ago, Abba said:

Question:

if a train has a door problem and cannot be overcome. Do they have to discharge the whole train or in some cases just the car that has the issue?

They’d usually key in the doors to close after discharging the passengers and then leave the station. I don’t know abt the latter case though

1 hour ago, Abba said:

Question:

I had been two R32/R42 trains with door problem and they just discharged the whole train. But I do frequently see some trains are running with one side door locked.

When a T/O posts during schoolcar, it's my understanding that they must post on each line and yard in their division (A or B.) Do T/Os have any specific "qualifications" for each line, and must they maintain them? Example, a T/O with some seniority on the "A" division picks a job on the (7). They work that job for 5 years. They then want to pick a job on the (4). Would they have to do any requalifying on the Jerome/Lexington/Eastern Parkway Lines? Also, if a T/O is working extra-extra, especially on the B division, how hard is it to keep all the territory straight?

8 hours ago, Abba said:

Question:

Usually they’ll discharge the train and then we’ll pick up an RCI (road car inspector) somewhere along the route to see if he/she can correct the issue. If they can they’ll usually put the train back in service again. 

On 10/28/2019 at 7:32 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

They start at 86th since they're just (N) trains relabeled as (Q) to "avoid confusion"

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

They start at 86th since they're just (N) trains relabeled as (Q) to "avoid confusion"

On the (N) timetable, are the NB 96th St runs on the (N) or (Q) timetable?

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

On the (N) timetable, are the NB 96th St runs on the (N) or (Q) timetable?

The only (Q) reference is on the trains themselves. They're (N) trains.

29 minutes ago, Lex said:

That's not what I asked.

43 minutes ago, Lex said:

That’s not what he asked. He asked if the 96 St-2 Av-bound runs are listed on the printed schedules for either the (N) or (Q).

Answer: It’s only on the (N) timetable. In reality, they are (Q) trains via the Sea Beach Line, 4 Av Express, Manhattan Bridge, Broadway Express, and 2 Av.

EDIT: I just now noticed @Around the Horn answered the question already. My mistake.

Edited by Jemorie

On 10/28/2019 at 10:59 PM, Abba said:

Question:

Depends on the time of day. If it’s off peak, RCC will inform the conductor to cut out the door in Question. If it’s an electrical issue, the train instantly gets taken Out of service. If it’s rush hour, RCC quickly informs the conductor to discharge the train, in efforts to keep service close to schedule.