SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NST said:

Is the connection from the Nassau St Line to the Montague Tunnel ever used by work trains?

So long as they don't use 75-footers or any B Division equipment from before the R44 order, I don't see why it wouldn't be used in any capacity.

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

Does train departures at 2 AM from their terminals get affected with today's daylight savings?

Holy crap. No wonder I woke up so early. I blinked my eyes in bed when I saw time fast forward and thought I had passed out for an hour from drinking so much the night before.

@Calvin, or @Caelestor, whenever a weekend G.O. requires the (2) to be rerouted from Flatbush to Utica, they always reduce its headways from 8 minutes to 12 minutes, while the (4) stays every 8 minutes. During rush hours, Utica Av can handle a train every 4 minutes, because trains on the entire (4) line in both directions are running every 4 minutes during this time period. How is it that the relay at Utica cannot handle the 4-minute headways on the combined (2) and (4) during the Flatbush Outage weekend G.O.?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Jemorie said:

@Calvin, or @Caelestor, whenever a weekend G.O. requires the (2) to be rerouted from Flatbush to Utica, they always reduce its headways from 8 minutes to 12 minutes, while the (4) stays every 8 minutes. During rush hours, Utica Av can handle a train every 4 minutes, because trains on the entire (4) line in both directions are running every 4 minutes during this time period. How is it that the relay at Utica cannot handle the 4-minute headways on the combined (2) and (4) during the Flatbush Outage weekend G.O.?

Thanks.

Some of it is schedules -- long scheduled terminal layovers increase pocket occupancy -- but most of it is just NYCT trying to avoid the normal ops chaos that afflicts the rest of the system. Clearing the (2) on an 8 in front of (3) traffic, and then merging those (2)s with the (4) en route to pockets is, I guess, something that terrifies the agency. It shouldn't be that way, but the trend recently has been to aggressively reduce the weekend schedule expectation (both in service level and in runtime) to a point that NYCT knows it can achieve w/o too much an issue. 

Generally speaking, I'd somewhat caution the extrapolation of peak hour service levels to an all-day weekend capability. In this case, I agree running the op shouldn't be too difficult, but remember that peak service levels only exist for a few hours a day, whereas weekend service levels exist for most of the day -- you run into a sustainability issue. Think sprinting versus running a marathon. 

Not that this is necessarily the best of ideas, but I'd be interested to understand the feasibility of doing something like a (2)/(3) swap in this case to mitigate the Utica issue. The (3) is already on a 12, and NL can handle an 8 all day...

Edited by RR503

33 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Weren't there G.O.'s in the 80's where the (D) would run thru the Chrystie connection and reverse at Essex?

I think it was before the R68's but perhaps the R44's and R46's were able to run that route...

I've only ever seen pics of R32 (D) trains on Nassau though...

I'd imagine a 75 footer would probably fit through most of Nassau but that northbound crossing maneuver north of Chambers is extremely tight just on a 60 footer so that would probably side swipe it.

Hey there!

I created a more interactive planned service changes document that allows for more detailed input and is navigable when converted to PDF.

Like before, it resembles the Subway Service Guide shown here.

The updated document is here. Please let me know if you can see the embedded fonts when you open it in Word. Is Template and will show Document1.

Previous version here, also a template.

40 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Nice seeing a side-by-side R32 (C) and R32 (A) at West 4th yesterday. Both left together...wish I coulda gotten a shot of that.

Yep. Always nice to see those side by side along with seeing 179 (A) & (C) trains side by side. Especially considering those two lines were dumping grounds for old equipment for most of my life prior to the 179s entering service.

Speaking of old equipment, I remember back when the R32s were on the (J) , there were mainly SMEEs (including R42s) and there were at least 3 R160s in service with the occasional R143. Currently, it's like most of the time, there were all tech trains on that line.

With the (2) and (5) , they swap car units as Brooklyn College-Flatbush Av is the key point. During the rush hours or at the end of the day, for example:
- if a (5) is done for the day to go back to the yard (during 10PM at Eastchester), the set is from the (2) , does the set go back to 239 St or its regular Unionport Yard?

As well as Livonia Yard, the (2) train to New Lots is a Unionport set (AM rush), then later during the PM, it goes back as a (5) train 

Edited by Calvin

6 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I don’t know what the heck’s gonna happen when they activate OMNY in the Bronx.

Those swipers on the (4) line are really getting out of hand. Fordham especially.

Out of hand how? I don’t use the (4) in the Bronx too often. At Mosholu Parkway I haven’t seen anything, but that’s a very once in a while station that I use... Been well over a year... lol

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Out of hand how? I don’t use the (4) in the Bronx too often. At Mosholu Parkway I haven’t seen anything, but that’s a very once in a while station that I use... Been well over a year... lol

You'd probably have an easier time finding them at Kingsbridge Road...

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

At Fordham there’s literally a whole handful of them, and they’re starting to block the turnstiles in addition to gumming up the vending machines and annoying people for $2 swipes and empty cards.

37 minutes ago, Lex said:

You'd probably have an easier time finding them at Kingsbridge Road...

They’re more low-key at Kingsbridge (4). Hell, at Fordham (D) they’re more low-key, and at 183rd (4) there aren’t even swipers at all.

Fordham’s gotten to the point where I’d rather walk to the next stop than risk having my phone/card robbed, much less get hassled for swipes and empty cards.

8 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I don’t know what the heck’s gonna happen when they activate OMNY in the Bronx.

Those swipers on the (4) line are really getting out of hand. Fordham especially.

I feel you. The moment you take one step into a station, they swarm and harass you to buy a swipe from them and won’t take no for an answer. I remember telling this one guy I wasn’t interested, only for him to tell him that the station was “gang territory” and something could happen to me if I denied him. I avoided the Jerome Line for a while after that.

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

At Fordham there’s literally a whole handful of them, and they’re starting to block the turnstiles in addition to gumming up the vending machines and annoying people for $2 swipes and empty cards.

They’re more low-key at Kingsbridge (4). Hell, at Fordham (D) they’re more low-key, and at 183rd (4) there aren’t even swipers at all.

Fordham’s gotten to the point where I’d rather walk to the next stop than risk having my phone/card robbed, much less get hassled for swipes and empty cards.

Wow... They do that kind of crap at 125th.  I hate that subway station with a passion. The Meth heads hanging out everywhere. They've got the NYPD down there by the turnstiles, and even then people are standing around like vultures trying to see if they can get people to pay for swipes. It's crazy.