SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

At Fordham there’s literally a whole handful of them, and they’re starting to block the turnstiles in addition to gumming up the vending machines and annoying people for $2 swipes and empty cards.

They’re more low-key at Kingsbridge (4). Hell, at Fordham (D) they’re more low-key, and at 183rd (4) there aren’t even swipers at all.

Fordham’s gotten to the point where I’d rather walk to the next stop than risk having my phone/card robbed, much less get hassled for swipes and empty cards.

That should really be a penalty + fine for damaging the machines.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Interesting... Why that station? I would’ve thought it would be a station further south just because of how the underground stations are.

Nah, they be flocking the (4) train stops. There are undercover cops on the (D) train stops. I entered Fordham Road (D) at 9 in the morning and saw this dude standing by the turnstyles and saw the same dude at 5pm. And in my mind im like (9 to 5 is a shift. Thats a cop.) Fordham Road and Kingsbridge Road on Concourse got poh-lice for sure. Thats why the (D) is always the better option in the Bronx along with Peak Rush Hour express, and better headways. I spend my summers on Valentine Av and East 192 Street so my advice is to take the (D).

1 hour ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Nah, they be flocking the (4) train stops. There are undercover cops on the (D) train stops. I entered Fordham Road (D) at 9 in the morning and saw this dude standing by the turnstyles and saw the same dude at 5pm. And in my mind im like (9 to 5 is a shift. Thats a cop.) Fordham Road and Kingsbridge Road on Concourse got poh-lice for sure. Thats why the (D) is always the better option in the Bronx along with Peak Rush Hour express, and better headways. I spend my summers on Valentine Av and East 192 Street so my advice is to take the (D).

I don't ride the subway at all with any regular frequency these days, especially not in the Bronx... Usually Metro-North... Some of those stations are extremely sketchy and desolate. One night I needed to refill for the next day so I go to refill for an express bus pass. I was at the Pelham Parkway stop. There was some sketchy guy just standing around. Gave me a vibe that did not sit well with me. He definitely looked like he was looking for a victim. I just calmly walked out and on to the express bus, but now I make a mental note of when I need to refill so that I'm not stuck using stations that I don't usually use. You also have people putting devices on the machines to skim cards, so I'm super careful these days.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

29 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Fordham (D) has a somewhat essential NYCT department on the premises (It's not RTO; I think it involves money but don't quote me on that), so it has to be more secure by default since there are more TA employee movements there than at a typical subway station.

37 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Fordham (D) has a somewhat essential NYCT department on the premises (It's not RTO; I think it involves money but don't quote me on that), so it has to be more secure by default since there are more TA employee movements there than at a typical subway station.

That's something interesting right there. I learn something new whenever I visit these forums. I've used the Fordham Road (D) Station many times in the past and never knew that. Thanks for sharing.

5 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

I feel you. The moment you take one step into a station, they swarm and harass you to buy a swipe from them and won’t take no for an answer. I remember telling this one guy I wasn’t interested, only for him to tell him that the station was “gang territory” and something could happen to me if I denied him. I avoided the Jerome Line for a while after that.

Sounds like an antitrust issue. There isn’t enough competition there. If there was, they’d all kill each other and we’d all be better off.

11 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I’ve always wondered what that facility was. It takes up the southern end of what’s already a massive mezzanine at that station. You can see evidence of stairs that once led to this area from either platform. Even at its peak, I can’t imagine this station ever needed that much mezzanine space. Typical IND.

10 hours ago, Jemorie said:

@paulrivera, you dead serious? About these hoodlums being menacing and all? Oh nah.

It's a bit concerning to see a lone swiper multiply into a half dozen, that's for sure.

15 minutes ago, Cabanamaner said:

I’ve always wondered what that facility was. It takes up the southern end of what’s already a massive mezzanine at that station. You can see evidence of stairs that once led to this area from either platform. Even at its peak, I can’t imagine this station ever needed that much mezzanine space. Typical IND.

The north end used to be attached to what is now Marshall's and PC Richards many years ago (formerly Alexander's and Caldor's).

Imagine how you get off the (D) at Herald Square to get into JCPenney today but at Fordham.

On 11/2/2019 at 2:18 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I mapped out RPA's "Save Our Subway's" Plan cause the diagrams in their study were a little bit hard to map out.  This is a fun project that I made and is not meant to be taken seriously.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rtGql_PISy0MBGvH1xIND96LUCpb6aVd&usp=sharing

It's amazing how many potentially worthwhile improvements were left out of the that plan.

On 10/30/2019 at 6:25 PM, VIP said:

Depends on the time of day. If it’s off peak, RCC will inform the conductor to cut out the door in Question. If it’s an electrical issue, the train instantly gets taken Out of service. If it’s rush hour, RCC quickly informs the conductor to discharge the train, in efforts to keep service close to schedule. 

Why don’t they cut the door out during rush hour also? Discharging a train rush hour sounds like a pretty bad idea!

I wonder when 68th Street-Hunter College on (6) is going to get renovated. That station for the longest has been neglected compared to most other stations on the Lexington Ave line. 59th street and 77th street look way better than 68th street does, so it just makes me wonder why was that stop slipped? 

10 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I wonder when 68th Street-Hunter College on (6) is going to get renovated. That station for the longest has been neglected compared to most other stations on the Lexington Ave line. 59th street and 77th street look way better than 68th street does, so it just makes me wonder why was that stop slipped? 

Blame the people that live in the area surrounding the station. They’ve repeatedly protested any change to the station bc it would involve the construction of a new entrance at 69th street, which they’re opposed to. Given that this station is heavily trafficked due to Hunter College and nearby hospitals, it’s long overdue for a renovation.

1 hour ago, Cabanamaner said:

Blame the people that live in the area surrounding the station. They’ve repeatedly protested any change to the station bc it would involve the construction of a new entrance at 69th street, which they’re opposed to. Given that this station is heavily trafficked due to Hunter College and nearby hospitals, it’s long overdue for a renovation.

Oh please. That subway entrance is a separate matter. They could certainly renovate the station and deal with the subway entrance at a later day.

5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

The (6) has a SERIOUS dwell time problem along Lexington Avenue. I had 5 (6) trains back to back at 33rd St...

There was a switch problem earlier by Parkchester that practically crippled (6) train service. No idea if that's still going on but there are definitely residual delays.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh please. That subway entrance is a separate matter. They could certainly renovate the station and deal with the subway entrance at a later day.

There was a switch problem earlier by Parkchester that practically crippled (6) train service. No idea if that's still going on but there are definitely residual delays.

That’s what I’m saying. 77th Street only has one entrance and it received a make over. As far as the new entrance, I would just honestly leave provisions for it whenever it happens. 

5 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

That’s what I’m saying. 77th Street only has one entrance and it received a make over. As far as the new entrance, I would just honestly leave provisions for it whenever it happens. 

Speaking of 77th Street, the other thing they did was tile over the existing tile... If you look at some areas, you can clearly see that. 68th Street would need a top to bottom renovation, as it has all sorts of water problems.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The (6) is always like this, and it's a major problem. The dwell times are absolutely ridiculous where it gets to the point where (6) trains have to run express.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That entrance is needed for capacity.

49035381782_9519d12fe0_z.jpgScreen Shot 2019-11-08 at 2.11.37 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Look at this lack of transparency! No more NYCT information!

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The (6) has a SERIOUS dwell time problem along Lexington Avenue. I had 5 (6) trains back to back at 33rd St...

Yup that's every rush hour pretty much daily...

My (6) trains in the morning going uptown usually are 5-6 minutes behind schedule by the time I get to Hunter College; Downtown towards Brooklyn Bridge in the evening is even worse.

Because of the switch problem this morning I ended up on an uptown (5) train making local stops and there was such a clear difference in dwells at each station even with the large crowds and confusion about the reroute.