SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

That entrance is needed for capacity.

49035381782_9519d12fe0_z.jpgScreen Shot 2019-11-08 at 2.11.37 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Look at this lack of transparency! No more NYCT information!

Not denying that, but still. I've used the stop... I've seen the crowds... Doesn't take away from it needing to be desperately rehabbed.  

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CenSin said:

Got a drunk conductor on the train? He called Fort Hamilton Parkway “Fordham Road” and called Bay Parkway “Bedford Park Boulevard”. 😒

Probably a noob who doesn't know all the stops yet. If I was an C/R it would take me a while to memorize stops. If someone put an gun to my head to told me to name all the stops on the (2) line N/B in the BX I'd be a dead man. 149th GC, 3rd Ave, Jackson Ave, after that mind goes blank😄

53 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Probably a noob who doesn't know all the stops yet. If I was an C/R it would take me a while to memorize stops. If someone put an gun to my head to told me to name all the stops on the (2) line N/B in the BX I'd be a dead man. 149th GC, 3rd Ave, Jackson Ave, after that mind goes blank😄

Ditto for the (6) ... 3rd-138th, yada yada Hunts Point, yada yada Parkchester...

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Is it strange that some of us know these things? My friends are weirded out that I know stations and streets in neighborhoods that I've never even visited.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

They can carry line maps with them. This is a huge part of their job so they need to get it right. 

8 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

They can carry line maps with them. This is a huge part of their job so they need to get it right. 

I’m not disputing what you’re saying, however what the other poster is saying may very well be true that person is probably new and we’re human at the end of the day we make mistakes from time to time. When I was brand new a lot of my instructors tried to sway me from relying on strip maps. When you’re being bounced from line to line daily while still trying to learn the job you can slip up from time to time. It happens.

I hope that poster has the privilege of making a mistake on their job without the accusations of being drunk.

On 11/5/2019 at 6:07 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Out of hand how? I don’t use the (4) in the Bronx too often. At Mosholu Parkway I haven’t seen anything, but that’s a very once in a while station that I use... Been well over a year... lol

Same here, but it seems things have not changed.

When I used to be down there, the ones on the Jerome ELs were finicky. I find that saying "whoosh" in my head as I swipe makes it easier to time the swipe. I honestly wonder why dippers aren't used instead, as the speed of the swipe would be taken out of a commuter's hands and chance.

There are added complications that come from swiping your card too fast or slow, as it affects overall readability of the card. Although, MCs are less flimsy than hotel keycards.

I had this monthly when I swiped it too fast (even though it worked), and when I swiped it at a slower speed, it began having read errors.

It crapped out eventually.

1 hour ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Same here, but it seems things have not changed.

When I used to be down there, the ones on the Jerome ELs were finicky. I find that saying "whoosh" in my head as I swipe makes it easier to time the swipe. I honestly wonder why dippers aren't used instead, as the speed of the swipe would be taken out of a commuter's hands and chance.

There are added complications that come from swiping your card too fast or slow, as it affects overall readability of the card. Although, MCs are less flimsy than hotel keycards.

I had this monthly when I swiped it too fast (even though it worked), and when I swiped it at a slower speed, it began having read errors.

It crapped out eventually.

It’s kind of a moot point now because the Metrocard is dated technology. I was talking about it during a conference call yesterday with the (MTA) . It came out in the 90s, but the planning and all of that started much earlier. One thing I was discussing was if the technology wasn’t so old that the fareboxes could be programmed to simply deduct the correct fare of $6.75 instead of people dipping and paying say $3.00 or whatever is on one card, only to still be charged $6.75 after dipping a second time. We shall see if the technology is too dated to fix that glitch or not, but on the subway end, all of the talk about OMNY. The (MTA) has invested a lot in this new payment set up and they are looking at other transit agencies globally and their payment systems. The consensus is that it will bring a ton of flexibility to the system that currently doesn’t with the Metrocard. I may ask for an update on where things are in our next meeting. The last time we discussed it, they were very happy with the progress, and it being on-time for implementation.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

@Union Tpke, do you know if there are any updated timetables for every line in the system (including the current overnight & weekend (L) one)? I've found the (L) somewhere around this site or some other site, but then I honestly forget where now. Also, did the (MTA) went through with the service reductions as of this month?

Please and thanks.

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

@Union Tpke, do you know if there are any updated timetables for every line in the system (including the current overnight & weekend (L) one)? I've found the (L) somewhere around this site or some other site, but then I honestly forget where now. Also, did the (MTA) went through with the service reductions as of this month?

Please and thanks.

They should be up this upcoming weekend.

48 minutes ago, ttcsubwayfan said:

Anyone know where the centre track near the Grant Avenue portal heads to? Was watching this video earlier, the track seen at 33:10 dips into the tunnel and then seems to run under the station platform?

That leads to Pitkin Yard.

detail-pitkin.png

3 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Please and thanks.

They are not up yet. Expect them soon.

The MTA will go through with these cuts:

Keep in mind that there will likely be other cuts, but they won't meet the threshold to bring to the board. Cut a trip here, cut a trip there.

See this:

Edited by Union Tpke

The Atlantic-Barclays center platform was flooded with commuters along the 4th Av line b/c of the ongoing signal malfunction at Prospect Park. While that was the cause, a lot of (2) and (5) trains were packed along Nostrand Av. 

Edited by Calvin

From what I've heard: starting Monday, the 17th: the last (B) train to 145 St will now take place at 8:59 PM from Brighton Beach and 145 St at 9:15 PM. 

The last time riding a (B) to Brighton Beach around 10 PM from Grand St, it's 1/2 the full amount of customers per car. 

7 hours ago, Calvin said:

From what I've heard: starting Monday, the 17th: the last (B) train to 145 St will now take place at 8:59 PM from Brighton Beach and 145 St at 9:15 PM. 

The last time riding a (B) to Brighton Beach around 10 PM from Grand St, it's 1/2 the full amount of customers per car. 

8:59. Here is the schedule: http://transitfeeds.com/p/mta/79/latest/route/B/20191118.

Stay off the Manhattan-bound (Q) if you can help it. There's a delay going northbound. I'm stuck at Church Avenue and it seems there's another one at Parkside Avenue.

EDIT: 31 minutes to get to Canal Street from Church Avenue, and no acknowledgement of the delays anywhere on their website!

Edited by CenSin

2 hours ago, CenSin said:

Stay off the Manhattan-bound (Q) if you can help it. There's a delay going northbound. I'm stuck at Church Avenue and it seems there's another one at Parkside Avenue.

EDIT: 31 minutes to get to Canal Street from Church Avenue, and no acknowledgement of the delays anywhere on their website!

The (B) never showed up for you to take it to Grand Street and then walk? Or was the delay also on the (B) as well?

Edited by Jemorie