SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

8 minutes ago, CenSin said:

The architects changed their minds in the middle of construction. So they sacrificed the mezzanine to create a stop for the express by pushing the locals to the upper level.

No, by pushing the locals to the lower level while the expresses serve the upper level.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the (C) and (4) doing relays at the Brooklyn terminal: The (C) , the crew checks to see if it's empty before leaving the station (approx. 5 mins). However, the (4) the members close down the train and leaves after 1-2 minutes. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

With the (C) and (4) doing relays at the Brooklyn terminal: The (C) , the crew checks to see if it's empty before leaving the station (approx. 5 mins). However, the (4) the members close down the train and leaves after 1-2 minutes. 

The (C) is easier since it runs 6 tph all day and evening long. The (4) is much more frequent, maintaining 15 tph. There are always delays at Utica Av during the rush anyway. Trains are stacked on the express track from Nostrand to Utica.

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

The (C) is easier since it runs 6 tph all day and evening long. The (4) is much more frequent, maintaining 15 tph. There are always delays at Utica Av during the rush anyway. Trains are stacked on the express track from Nostrand to Utica.

Then we have the infamous Forest Hills 71 Ave terminal. Sigh all the times I’ve missed the Q64 by a minute or two just because we had to wait for the train in the station to go to relay. 

On 11/19/2019 at 10:22 AM, Lawrence St said:

History Question;

Why was Lexington the only line to be built without an "express station" at 33rd St? Or does this date back to the original IRT H system and why its built as a local?

There were several proposals to convert it to an express stop:

https://books.google.com/books?id=WNHI3SkuyX0C&pg=PA459&dq=33rd+street+express+station&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2_5iX87DbAhUq0YMKHbYtCs0Q6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q=33rd street express station&f=false

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Thanks. I noticed that the express tracks are at a lower level but the ceiling remains level with the local tracks.

2 minutes ago, subway4832 said:

One thing that I've started to notice recently with the <F>  is that once it gets south of Church Ave, it leaves a pretty nasty gap behind it, and is always hot at West 8th Street so it sits there for about 5-10 minutes. Did NYCT thoroughly plan the scheduling out for this? 

Nope. It planned pretty poorly. I've got the data to prove it…

Noticed on my (N) train ride home today that the MTA is making an effort to announce which train is departing first at merge points. When we arrived at Times Square alongside a (Q) train, there was an announcement multiple times over the station PA system that "The Brooklyn bound (N) train will be leaving first"

1 minute ago, Around the Horn said:

Noticed on my (N) train ride home today that the MTA is making an effort to announce which train is departing first at merge points. When we arrived at Times Square alongside a (Q) train, there was an announcement multiple times over the station PA system that "The Brooklyn bound (N) train will be leaving first"

I've also noticed that on the Broadway line as well several days ago. I was at a Queens-bound (N) which was arriving at 34 Street-Herald Square. A Queens-bound (W) had already arrived at the station at the local platform. Around a couple seconds later, the PA on the (W) stated the (N) will leave first (funny thing is, I left the (N) thinking the (W) would leave first since the trend I've been noticing is that the train that enters a station first leaves the station first before a merge).

2 hours ago, subway4832 said:

One thing that I've started to notice recently with the <F>  is that once it gets south of Church Ave, it leaves a pretty nasty gap behind it, and is always hot at West 8th Street so it sits there for about 5-10 minutes. Did NYCT thoroughly plan the scheduling out for this? 

bPhim6i.png

Look at the purple line. Median <F> arrives at Kings Highway about 4 mins behind, but then end of line padding is such that it gets to Neptune nearly 5 mins early. Then terminal holdouts (holdouts that exist in no small part because trains approach the terminal so extremely early) mean median arrival at Stillwell is only a few seconds ahead. 

At Coney Island on track 3, the lights went on and the train was about to leave. I ducked into the nearest car, which happened to give me a view of the ramp. I saw a woman scurry up the ramp as the doors were closing. The conductor reopened the doors, giving her another 3 seconds to get into the train as she flew off the end of the ramp like a plane off the runway.

And then she's made a U-turn to my car which was 15 feet away from where she was instead of making a beeline to the nearest door. The doors were closing again, and as the gap narrowed my view of her wide figure I asked her: “Why did you take the long way? You could have already been on the train.”

The (Q) left track 3 without her.

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

At Coney Island on track 3, the lights went on and the train was about to leave. I ducked into the nearest car, which happened to give me a view of the ramp. I saw a woman scurry up the ramp as the doors were closing. The conductor reopened the doors, giving her another 3 seconds to get into the train as she flew off the end of the ramp like a plane off the runway.

And then she's made a U-turn to my car which was 15 feet away from where she was instead of making a beeline to the nearest door. The doors were closing again, and as the gap narrowed my view of her wide figure I asked her: “Why did you take the long way? You could have already been on the train.”

The (Q) left track 3 without her.

I've learned over time that common sense is not always common. She probably thought that since the C/R gave her a break opening the doors for her that she'd be able to dart to another car after she was obviously aboard the very same train. Getting somewhere on time using the MTA's services is already a gamble. Why risk it?

28 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I've learned over time that common sense is not always common. She probably thought that since the C/R gave her a break opening the doors for her that she'd be able to dart to another car after she was obviously aboard the very same train. Getting somewhere on time using the MTA's services is already a gamble. Why risk it?

If I were the conductor, reopening the doors would have been an appropriately small and low-cost gesture. That she would waste my time and everyone else’s time aboard the train to get to the car of her choice is a misordering of priorities and an insult. I would close the doors in the same situation.

Imagine being in an elevator with other people in it and a lady asks you to hold the door while heading over like she’s strolling leisurely through a park. Nope! You run and catch the elevator in the most time-efficient way possible, or take the next one.

20 minutes ago, CenSin said:

If I were the conductor, reopening the doors would have been an appropriately small and low-cost gesture. That she would waste my time and everyone else’s time aboard the train to get to the car of her choice is a misordering of priorities and an insult. I would close the doors in the same situation.

Imagine being in an elevator with other people in it and a lady asks you to hold the door while heading over like she’s strolling leisurely through a park. Nope! You run and catch the elevator in the most time-efficient way possible, or take the next one.

The C/R should have never reopen the doors. Period. People wait for trains. Trains don’t wait for people.

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

They might as well knock on the conductor's window and say, "Hey, why don't you hold on a minute for my friends? They're on their way down from the turnstyle area." Some MTA employees are courteous and will go out of their way for you, but some people use that as a reason to justify entitlement. Whether it be them thinking they can hold up an entire train because whoever they're with hasn't made it down to the platform yet, or it be their belief that the conductor will tolerate them playing musical cars at the same station is beyond me. Using the train's storm doors to walk from car to car isn't recommended, but she could've if she were in that much of a rush.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

With the (4) going to New Lots + the (5) being cutoff from it's home yard I hope an R62 (4) appears tommorow! .... Along with an 62A (2) borrowed from the (1) line on the 96 - Flatbush portion of the (2) line.

Last time they had this (2) G.O they had the Kawasaki 62s running on the (2) but not 62As, was so disappointed when I saw the number plate when that SMEE (2) train pulled in lol

51 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

With the (4) going to New Lots + the (5) being cutoff from it's home yard I hope an R62 (4) appears tommorow! .... Along with an 62A (2) borrowed from the (1) line on the 96 - Flatbush portion of the (2) line.

An R62 (4) is highly likely (perhaps multiple R62s) since the (5) is 100% Jerome equipment for this GO and they might end up running a bit thin.

A SMEE train on the (2) .... ehhh.... That'll be more of a coin flip.

1901-1902-1903-1904-1905 has been redone with looped standicons, white fluorescent light, repainted white bonnets and single lined signs. What's kept is the 6 sign at each end of the car. 

*Another single 5-car unit done but kept the red/purple stickers: 1916-1920

Edited by Calvin