SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

And unidirectional reroutes of the (A) and (C).

Despite me and @RR503 having that debate little while ago about weekend (M) service, I honestly still can’t see it being extended out to Midtown due to ongoing full closures of construction and/or work under traffic on other trunk lines that are not Queens Blvd. The only other way I could see weekend (M) service to/from Midtown is if CBTC finally comes into play across the whole system or if they limit the constant (A)(C)(F) Manhattan-Brooklyn reroutes. Can’t have the (A)(C)(F)(M) running on the same tracks between West 4 and Broadway-Lafayette.

I personally feel like the only reason why weekend (M) service short turns at Essex (outside of the 14th Street Tunnel shutdowns) is because it is not a Nassau Street Line train? Hence you see the heavier sort of crowding on uptown (F)  trains at Delancey-Essex lower level. But they really should sometime in the future if the (M) really can’t access 6th Avenue.

You could _concievably_ cram (A)(C)(E)(F)(M) onto one track if you did 6+5+5+5+5 with zero flagging on 6th, but that would require a level of operational competence at West 4th and 34th that simply does not exist today. Whether or not we can expect many of those 8th-via-6th GOs in the coming years boils down to how NYCT plans to phase 8th CBTC -- ie whether or not they want to go the full shutdown route or the express/local GO route -- but given budgetary issues, I think a more realistic alternative to (M) to 96 or to Queens Plaza is just extending it to Chambers. Its Essex terminal is garbage for connectivity, and Chambers really shouldn't be that much of a cost. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Whether or not we can expect many of those 8th-via-6th GOs in the coming years boils down to how NYCT plans to phase 8th CBTC -- ie whether or not they want to go the full shutdown route or the express/local GO route

I would hope they shut down the express tracks for X number of weekends needed with the (A)(C)(E) all on the local, phase those in and then shut down the local tracks for X number of weekends with the (A)(C)(E) on the express (using the recently activated express tracks) and then phase in the local tracks when ready. 

I would also like to see the MTA expand the L Project Weekly newsletter concept to CBTC installs and other planned GO's. Instead of seemingly random closures and reroutes, explain that "X is happening so we can do Y and when we're finished, you'll end up with Z". 

31 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Instead of seemingly random closures and reroutes, explain that "X is happening so we can do Y and when we're finished, you'll end up with Z". 

Alas, I believe "seemingly" is doing a lotta work in that sentence. 

In all seriousness, though, I think what you propose makes much sense. Piecemeal work leads to disorganization which leads to inefficiency which leads to cost/schedule overruns. Pursuing a more concerted approach to GOs would do a lotta good. 

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

You could _concievably_ cram (A)(C)(E)(F)(M) onto one track if you did 6+5+5+5+5 with zero flagging on 6th, but that would require a level of operational competence at West 4th and 34th that simply does not exist today. Whether or not we can expect many of those 8th-via-6th GOs in the coming years boils down to how NYCT plans to phase 8th CBTC -- ie whether or not they want to go the full shutdown route or the express/local GO route -- but given budgetary issues, I think a more realistic alternative to (M) to 96 or to Queens Plaza is just extending it to Chambers. Its Essex terminal is garbage for connectivity, and Chambers really shouldn't be that much of a cost. 

At least for 6th Avenue CBTC, you already have the framework for the reroutes in place:

All weekends during 6th Ave installation:

(D)(F) route swap in Brooklyn and reroute in Manhattan

(D) via 8 Av Express to Jay St Metrotech, then via Culver (F) to Stillwell Av

(F) via Broadway / 4 Av Express & Manhattan Bridge, then via West End (D) to Stillwell Av

(M) to Chambers all weekends to preserve a connection between the (M) and the main-line (non Eastern-Division)

(N) via Whitehall St / 4 Av local all weekends

For 8th Ave CBTC, you could do (for all weekends):

(A)(C) via the (D) from 59 St-Columbus Circle to 34 St-Herald Square, then via the (F) to Jay St-MetroTech

(E) via the (R) between Queens Plaza and Whitehall St (or (E) suspended and the (R) extended east of 71 Av + overnight service)

*If the (E) is not suspended, then the late night (R) will end at Atlantic Av-Barclays Center or the (E) will end at Canal St, to not overtax Whitehall St with trains coming from both directions using the single middle track.

OR

(A)  - Same reroute as above / (C) train suspended

(E) - via 63 St / 6 Av (or 53 St / 6 Av) to/from 2 Av

(F) - rerouted via Broadway / 4 Av Express and West End

(D) rerouted from West 4 St to Stillwell Av via the (F) line.

(N) via Lower Manhattan / 4 Av local

For Broadway CBTC (first phase from Astoria-Ditmars Blvd to 57 St-7 Av), weekend work can be structured as follows:

cut (N) back to Times Square (and run maybe Broadway Express all times except late nights)

* No service between Times Square and Ditmars Blvd

(Q)  via Broadway Local / Manhattan Bridge

(R) rerouted via 63 St from 57 St-7 Av to 36 St (Queens)

Broadway can also be done from south of 34 St doing a full shutdown as follows:

(Q) via 6 Av Express

(N) in 2 sections:

1. Astoria-Ditmars Blvd to 34 St (49 St gets skipped northbound due to switch configuration)

2. Court St to Stillwell Av (via 4 Av local)

(R) via 6 Av

Edited by darkstar8983

13 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Alas, I believe "seemingly" is doing a lotta work in that sentence. 

In all seriousness, though, I think what you propose makes much sense. Piecemeal work leads to disorganization which leads to inefficiency which leads to cost/schedule overruns. Pursuing a more concerted approach to GOs would do a lotta good. 

Gets the work done faster too, whether they be several months-long closures or a several years-long closures. This way, full regular service can be run normally for a long while.

27 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Wow! What are the odds?

Well, this morning's sure turning out to be fun, isn't it? Especially with this:

Delays  Posted: 12/13/2019  8:19AM

Expect longer waits for northbound (C) trains after we removed a train from service at Euclid Av.

Edited by Lex

2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

I don't understand what's going on here. Is it like R179's are being taken out of service?

One R46 was taken out of service from Far Rockaway at around 7:10-ish (I forgot tbh) and ran lite northbound to wherever they sent it to, presumably Pitkin Yard. The Far Rockaway R179 sets were running fine.

Edited by Jemorie

The MTA should REALLY Consider sending those Times Square (3) trains to 34th Street. My (2) got stuck behind one at Times Square for 20 something minutes because someone refused to detrain. RCC does nothing as usual. Its really starting to become an issue, especially now with the 3 being cut back an hour earlier. 

I was shown a GIF of an explosion at what appears to be on an elevated track structure. The explosion appears to have reached the street level. From another shot from the vantage point of a station platform, I identified it as looking like the eastern end of Mets–Willets Point. I could be wrong about the station though. But I can’t find it on the news anywhere.

11 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Was lucky to bump into R68 2755 which still as its factory delivered number plates. This car got into an accident with a flatbed car IIRC and was sidelined for quite some time before returning to service.

Nah, the number plates you see on R68s and R68As are the factory delivered ones. After the accident that car lost its plate, so the TA made up a new one using stickers (the same types they used to cover R10 plates, work cars, etc.). That's why it looks so beat – porcelain ages better than that.

10 hours ago, subway4832 said:

The MTA should REALLY Consider sending those Times Square (3) trains to 34th Street. My (2) got stuck behind one at Times Square for 20 something minutes because someone refused to detrain. RCC does nothing as usual. Its really starting to become an issue, especially now with the 3 being cut back an hour earlier. 

Agreed. Riders like myself would appreciate the connection to the express from the LIRR during the evenings/late nights. 

On 12/13/2019 at 10:09 PM, trainfan22 said:

JWRa8M3.jpg

Was lucky to bump into R68 2755 which still as its factory delivered number plates. This car got into an accident with a flatbed car IIRC and was sidelined for quite some time before returning to service.

It's been there for years, why haven't they changed it?

So for those of who think the (C) crossing at Canal is a major impact of delays....here’s the answer....

The (A) and (E), especially the latter, are more frequent than the (C) throughout the day and evening. Mind you, I’m talking about weekday, not weekend. The main issue is the simple fact that the (C)’s 10 minute headways do not properly “mesh” with the (A) and (E)’s relatively shorter headways. The same is true at Hoyt. So therefore, generally, any event that express and local trains arrive at Hoyt or Canal at the same time, one has to cross first while the other follows it behind. That all depends if trains are running on time or not. That’s where the delays come from. Same with the 50th Street merge, where the (E) merges with/diverges from the (C).

Everyone should be aware that the (C) is the least frequent line in the system during rush hour, or at any given time of the day for that matter.

Edited by Jemorie
Added some more sentences for clearer clarification.

20 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

So for those of who think the (C) crossing at Canal is a major impact of delays....here’s the answer....

The (A) and (E), especially the latter, are more frequent than the (C) throughout the day and evening. Mind you, I’m talking about weekday, not weekend. The main issue is the simple fact that the (C)’s 10 minute headways do not properly “mesh” with the (A) and (E)’s relatively shorter headways. The same is true at Hoyt. So therefore, generally, any event that express and local trains arrive at Hoyt or Canal at the same time, one has to cross first while the other follows it behind. That all depends if trains are running on time or not. That’s where the delays come from. Same with the 50th Street merge, where the (E) merges with/diverges from the (C).

Everyone should be aware that the (C) is the least frequent line in the system during rush hour, or at any given time of the day for that matter.

I checked the string line charts shortly after your previous post. All the trains were timely without hold-ups.