SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

they have a huge surplus of cars, them loosing 40-48 cars isn't gonna hurt them.

Actually they don’t 

the (L) needs all its R143s and the 64 R160A’s that we’re retrofitted for its CBTC

the (M) will need a separate count of R160A’s from the (L) (240-248 cars)

that leaves only ~64 cars completely available for the (J). Add on the 100 R179s and you may just make service. The reason the (J) appears to be almost all NTTs is because they’re using some of the cars that would normally be on the (L). That says to me, car shortage. And remember that the R42s are still Chugging along 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Actually they don’t 

the (L) needs all its R143s and the 64 R160A’s that we’re retrofitted for its CBTC

the (M) will need a separate count of R160A’s from the (L) (240-248 cars)

that leaves only ~64 cars completely available for the (J). Add on the 100 R179s and you may just make service. The reason the (J) appears to be almost all NTTs is because they’re using some of the cars that would normally be on the (L). That says to me, car shortage. And remember that the R42s are still Chugging along 

Except the (L) hasn’t been fully utilizing its “restricted” fleet. We’ve seen the CBTC trains on the (J)(M)(Z), for the past couple years at least. If spares become an issue, transfer a few R179 sets from the (C).

On a side note, aren’t the R143’s and R160s on the (L) going to be compatible with QBL CBTC?

Edited by SimplyMyself

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

The (J) from my few recent experiences railfanning on it has more R179 than R160 with at least 3 sets of R143s and the R42s randomly popping up at any interval.

Yes because the R179s are unreliable so they need the R143s and you don’t really have enough R179s and non-CBTC designated R160s to make the whole (J)   fleet, hence why you see the R143s and R42s. 

this could also explain the low amount of shop time the R143s and (L) -specifies R160s get and low MDBF

3 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

Except the (L) hasn’t been fully utilizing its “restricted” fleet. We’ve seen the CBTC trains on the (J)(M)(Z), for the past couple years at least. If spares become an issue, transfer a few R179 sets from the (C).

On a side note, aren’t the R143’s and R160s on the (L) going to be compatible with QBL CBTC?

And remember that the (7) line has 8 spare trains. The (L) uses 192-200 cars, leaving 72 out (equivalent of 8-9 train sets)

2 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yes because the R179s are unreliable so they need the R143s and you don’t really have enough R179s and non-CBTC designated R160s to make the whole (J)   fleet, hence why you see the R143s and R42s. 

this could also explain the low amount of shop time the R143s and (L) -specifies R160s get and low MDBF

Good looking.

Off the top of my head, though, I would believe that 96 cars (72 in passenger service + 24 spares) are assigned out of 207th Street Yard for (C) service. Meanwhile, the remaining 100 cars (72 in passenger service + 28 spares) are assigned out of East New York Yard for (J) / (Z) service.

All 372 four-car R160s are assigned out of East New York Yard, so there should be enough cars to cover the remaining 50% of the (J) / (Z) fleet (give it 64 R160s and 24 R42s for passenger service, and the other 26 R42s used as spares). All other R160s rotate between the (M) and the (L), with the R143s exclusively for (L) service rather than this constant 2 or 3 trainsets of R143s spilling over to the (J) / (Z)). So for the (J) / (Z):

9 trains of R179s, 8 trains of R160s, and 3 trains of R42s, totaling 20 trainsets during rush hour on the (J) / (Z), in addition to the aforementioned 3 spare R179 trainsets and 3 spare R42 trainsets.

Weird. On the 8:13 AM (Q) from Coney Island that is currently one car into the Cortelyou Road station and stuck.

8:37 AM: train now creeping into the station with platforms crowded as hell.

8:38 AM: train doors open to let the crowd in. A second (B) bypasses us.

8:39 AM: the (Q) pulls out of the station.

8:40 AM: train opens doors at Beverley Road

8:41 AM: well, at least Church Avenue is not crowded thanks to the (B) trains from before.

Edited by CenSin

On 12/18/2019 at 10:54 AM, Enjineer said:

From what I heard, nothing will actually be scrapped until the R211s begin to replace cars. Until then, they will mothball the 42s and some 32s (think of the (A) having what, 10 sets of R179s now, they probably can sideline a few 10-car trains indefinitely)

I would just use them for 10-car (C) service. Idiots.

20 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Good looking.

Off the top of my head, though, I would believe that 96 cars (72 in passenger service + 24 spares) are assigned out of 207th Street Yard for (C) service. Meanwhile, the remaining 100 cars (72 in passenger service + 28 spares) are assigned out of East New York Yard for (J) / (Z) service.

All 372 four-car R160s are assigned out of East New York Yard, so there should be enough cars to cover the remaining 50% of the (J) / (Z) fleet (give it 64 R160s and 24 R42s for passenger service, and the other 26 R42s used as spares). All other R160s rotate between the (M) and the (L), with the R143s exclusively for (L) service rather than this constant 2 or 3 trainsets of R143s spilling over to the (J) / (Z)). So for the (J) / (Z):

9 trains of R179s, 8 trains of R160s, and 3 trains of R42s, totaling 20 trainsets during rush hour on the (J) / (Z), in addition to the aforementioned 3 spare R179 trainsets and 3 spare R42 trainsets.

368 for now, 8649-8652 is doing CBTC testing out of C.I Yard but, that's just one 4-car short yet still enough at ENY

47 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I finally caught an R46 on the (N) and (W). I was also able to check out the new Astoria Blvd station as well. 
The new station looks great, it would have been cool if they stuck to the ESI station rehab theme, but overall it’s not bad. 

Did they remove Hoyt Avenue off the signs?

Does anyone know why can’t dispatch hold trains in stations when no other trains are behind it in a situation where one is right ahead. Like for example  The other day I was on (3) and we were held between Wall and Fulton St for 10 min due to an earlier incident on a (1) train. (We also we’re delayed between Clark and Wall Street for a little) . The next train didn’t arrive for another 5 min after my train . I mean what’s the point of trapping people in a tunnel for 10 min for no reason .

Edited by Abba

On 12/18/2019 at 12:46 PM, R32 3838 said:

they have a huge surplus of cars, them loosing 40-48 cars isn't gonna hurt them.

I don’t Know where anyone is getting this information or how y’all think the car assignment proposals are remotely feasible... it’s not even 2020 yet and most of y’all talking about retiring R32/42’s that’s not happening until 2020 (Tentative) second East New York isn’t going to send 207 Street more R179’s just because YOU think or wanna see the (C) fully new tech. Down here, we use Whatever equipment is available to make service. Whether it be a “surplus” of spares or more than enough equipment, each yard has it’s roster and quotas. What may seem smart to you doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the correct course of action transit should/would take. You guys have to keep in mind “BUDGET” before coming up with these lalapoloza theories and proposals. Carry on. 

Taking the (E) and (F) can be annoying in the morning because sometimes the trains run so close together that the train has no choice but to run slow between Forest Hills and Jackson Heights. So the ride sometimes ends up being slower than the locals which is crazy. 
Then mix that with the mess that goes on with the (B) and (D) between 47-50th and 59th and I literally lose my mind because it has taken us sometimes 10 minutes to travel between 47-50th and into the station at 59th because of train traffic. 

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Taking the (E) and (F) can be annoying in the morning because sometimes the trains run so close together that the train has no choice but to run slow between Forest Hills and Jackson Heights. So the ride sometimes ends up being slower than the locals which is crazy. 
Then mix that with the mess that goes on with the (B) and (D) between 47-50th and 59th and I literally lose my mind because it has taken us sometimes 10 minutes to travel between 47-50th and into the station at 59th because of train traffic. 

That is why I ride earlier in the rush hour when it is not as bad.

12 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Does anyone know why the R42s have two different rollsign font sizes? Do they date from the same period?

46955581995_5a8264a41b_b.jpg47871767481_380274e0d6_b.jpg

The smaller text font sizes came about around 2002-2004 during their SMS. The same with the R32’s. The smaller font signs were added if the scrolling was tough, stuck, or simply if the signs were really dirty and not legible. The larger font/abbreviation rollsigns are from the 80’s