SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

While visited the Lotte New York Palace to see the holiday decorations, there was a (5) at Grand Central 10:38PM to Bowling Green. With the next (5) to Bowling Green in 11 minutes. 

Thinking this: whenever the (2) has the G/O not going to Brooklyn (or ending at South Ferry that is), the (5) shuttle trains gets extended from E.180 St to Lower Manhattan.

*The crowding of the train was 1/2 empty the entire train. 

Nothing new to this but nice to see the (5) going back to its old schedule with add on overnight trips. 

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/t5cur.pdf

Shuttle trains were extended. 

Edited by Calvin

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/26/2019 at 10:58 PM, danielhg121 said:

How come when they ran the Redbirds and R40's, the MTA gave everyone a heads up that the last day of service was on such and such day? Wouldn't they do the same thing for the R42's?

Only the Redbirds got a special send off by the MTA, with a front banner, news conference and all. R40 Slant last runs was found out though forums, the 40 Slants just ran on regular (A) runs throughout the day, no banner at the front or media attention or anything like that.

The 38s, 40M & 44s got retired without any fanfare. Also the Redbirds were iconic in NYC culture back then, the 42s aren't nearly as popular to justify a special sendoff IMO. Doubt 20 years from now the TM will have "reign of the R42s" exhibits like the Redbirds do now.

Edited by trainfan22

On 12/23/2019 at 8:36 PM, R68OnBroadway said:

238th on the (1) I think is available to enter northbound (IIRC they never removed the entrance after the Manhattan bound platform rehabilitation project). As for other stations like this, I think Dyckman (A) is also entrance only.

Yes, 238 (1) northbound now can be entered with Metrocard.

16 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Only the Redbirds got a special send off by the MTA, with a front banner, news conference and all. R40 Slant last runs was found out though forums, the 40 Slants just ran on regular (A) runs throughout the day, no banner at the front or media attention or anything like that.

The 38s, 40M & 44s got retired without any fanfare. Also the Redbirds were iconic in NYC culture back then, the 42s aren't nearly as popular to justify a special sendoff IMO. Doubt 20 years from now the TM will have "reign of the R42s" exhibits like the Redbirds do now.

Yeah I agree with you there...

I would be shocked if the R32s don't get a full sendoff and IMO the R46s, R62/As and R68/As deserve sendoffs of their own when the time comes.

1 hour ago, SimplyMyself said:

Currently on a Queens-bound (F), and the conductor announced that someone was struck by a train at Sutphin Blvd. We’ve been stuck for about 30-45 minutes between Roosevelt and Forest Hills. Never understood the seriousness on how Queens Blvd is a hot mess until now.

Queens Boulevard is INFAMOUS for massive “domino effect” delays. But it was a mix of a signal malfunction then that 12-9.

2 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Well, dunno if this is reliable. Don't want to get your hopes up but not all sources are reliable. Hopefully, they run one last time, I feel like Byford would take up the opportunity to send them off with one TRUE FINAL RUN as well. :)

Yeah this is Byford we're talking about. I'm pretty sure he'll make it happen.