SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Got off at 2nd Avenue on the (F) Queens bound and waited at 2nd Av for a bit. Waited until 4 PM thinking: "Where's the holiday train?". Oh yes, I forgot. The Holiday train doesn't run on Sundays till next December. 

I think they should run the TOMM for one month during the summer on the same route as the Holiday Train.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Their was a lot of R46 (F) trains today.. nice to see them still have an major presence on the line... For now.

Got an 32 (C) both ways and coming home an (A) express came in at Utica which was a 32 set! Nice afternoon riding the older cars.

I saw three or four headed towards Coney Island between Jay Street and W 4th Street while I was on a Jamaica bound (R160) (F) Train this morning.

Edited by Snorunts

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Man, what happened to the R62A’s on the (1)?

Those cars used to be so clean and now they look really filthy.

But “be grateful the train is still running” am I right?

The cabs inside the trains are horrible too, I’ve ruined some of my shirts and coat from placing my arm on the windows. 

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Man, what happened to the R62A’s on the (1)?

Those cars used to be so clean and now they look really filthy.

But “be grateful the train is still running” am I right?

Its obviously dust from the tunnels. The (1) is mostly underground and not to mention the fact that the 240th st yard doesn't have a car wash system so trains have to go over to 207 st railyard for wash/cleaning. 

The paint job they put on the end bonnets when they were SMS'ed, is not helping either. Same thing is occurring on the (6) R62As.

You guys should watch the clips from the OMNY press conference today. I kid you not, a guy hopped the turnstile in front of all the press and gave no f**ks about all the cameras that were rolling.

And this was at Bryant Park too; you would think there’d be more decorum in the heart of Midtown Manhattan.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

You guys should watch the clips from the OMNY press conference today. I kid you not, a guy hopped the turnstile in front of all the press and gave no f**ks about all the cameras that were rolling.

And this was at Bryant Park too; you would think there’d be more decorum in the heart of Midtown Manhattan.

some me shit 😂

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

They should reused that clip for other purposes. He’s gonna be a famous example of NYC crime—authorities so laid back, criminals be criming out in the open.

7 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

The cabs inside the trains are horrible too, I’ve ruined some of my shirts and coat from placing my arm on the windows. 

They cut car cleaner jobs. On top of that, Some of our co workers are disrespectful or disgusting human beings with no regard for the cleanliness or maintenance of our equipment. 

48 minutes ago, VIP said:

They cut car cleaner jobs. On top of that, Some of our co workers are disrespectful or disgusting human beings with no regard for the cleanliness or maintenance of our equipment. 

I had a feeling it was a budget cut. (1) train equipment used to be pretty clean up to about a year ago. Hell, I think the (1) line made the top 5 in equipment cleanliness in some informal poll not too long ago, but I can't remember where I read that from (but it was definitely less than 5 years ago.)

As for the co-workers... They should stop feeding into their own stereotypes. I actually want to think they give a damn about their jobs instead of how they're portrayed (overpaid lazy slobs and all that other nonsense)

I noticed that Coney Island tends to keep its 160s clean even when going underground. 

And on the (2) (5) R142s, they get cleaned off easily. 

Oh.. R42s are coming to you again b/c the R179, errors are doors opening on a consult while train was in passenger service.

Edited by Calvin

17 hours ago, VIP said:

Imagine how it was for 30 years of cab time  because I’m allergic to peanuts . I swept and mopped many cabs in my career. Peanut shells, candy wrappers, chewing gum inside the cab . Sodas, coffee, beer, wine from outside the cabs seeping under the cab doors. I remember riding the DC Metro years ago and comparing it to NYCT. Night and day. Thing is it’s not only the coworkers but the whole NYC metropolitan area in general. Take a ride on the LIRR from KO to Penn Station and look at the garbage that piles up on that run. I remember that there was a hotdog and soda stand at the bottom of the escalators at Broadway Junction above the IND platforms. My family made us finish eating ( if they sprung for it ) before we descended down to the IND platforms. There were also some penny gum machines on the columns at the south end of those platforms and if we got any gum we had to keep the cardboard packets for gum disposal in the solar cans when we left the train. I guess that would be considered old fashioned and an inconvenience in today’s world. Just my recollections. Carry on.

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

From yesterday's news, it was the R32 that had the door opening problem

Those doors are like the Redbirds. A hard stop the door pops open to close in .01 seconds. Not a big deal. Happened alot when the (E) had all R32’s 

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Those doors are like the Redbirds. A hard stop the door pops open to close in .01 seconds. Not a big deal. Happened alot when the (E) had all R32’s 

Actually you can use a little force to open it, last time I saw somebody opened it by about 3 inches because he wanted to balance himself during a hard braking. 

5 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Since the R-179’s are currently grounded from service, I had a pleasant wait time this morning on the (J).

Normally, I’d wait 5-6 minutes at Sutphin/Archer or Crescent Street for a (Z) train, but today was different. I feel like the (J) is more reliable without skip stop. 

The whole practice of skip-stop isn't even all that efficient since the same trackage is still shared. Those tight ass turns aren't helping matters either...

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

The whole practice of skip-stop isn't even all that efficient since the same trackage is still shared. Those tight ass turns aren't helping matters either...

Too bad the Jamaica Ave line turns off at Crescent Street. It should have instead continued along the more direct route of Jamaica Ave to Broadway Junction. That way they could have built an express track and people from Queens and East Brooklyn would actually consider the (J) to Manhattan instead of taking the bus to the Queens Blvd line. Even the (A) all the way in Queens especially along Liberty Ave East of Woodhaven Blvd is overlooked because the Q10, Q37 and Q52/Q53 to the Queens Blvd line is faster than having to go through Brooklyn then Manhattan.