SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Too bad the Jamaica Ave line turns off at Crescent Street. It should have instead continued along the more direct route of Jamaica Ave to Broadway Junction. That way they could have built an express track and people from Queens and East Brooklyn would actually consider the (J) to Manhattan instead of taking the bus to the Queens Blvd line. Even the (A) all the way in Queens especially along Liberty Ave East of Woodhaven Blvd is overlooked because the Q10, Q37 and Q52/Q53 to the Queens Blvd line is faster than having to go through Brooklyn then Manhattan. 

I actually had a plan for a Jamaica Avenue route between East NY and Cypress Hills, but I had it as a subway linking to the Fulton Street Line (using existing provisions). This also supplemented plans for a Broadway-Fulton connection between Manhattan and Brooklyn (new tunnel). 

In my new plan, I had the (R) and (W) take this new tunnel, with the (R) to Euclid and the (W) to Jamaica Center, with the (J) going from Broadway Junction to 95th Street, and the (C) becoming express to Lefferts Blvd in Queens. With this plan, I anticipated that riders going to Lower Manhattan (especially the area around Broad Street) would save riders 10-15 minutes, even with the (W) making all the stops. For Fulton Street and midtown Manhattan, if they transfer to the (A) and (C), they can do it cross-platform instead of passageways and the express service will be more frequent, saving time. Perhaps this is what’s needed to make Jamaica Avenue more attractive.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ridiculous how the dispatchers keep holding express trains station after station.

(N) held at Manhattan Bridge junction to let a (D) go first. Connected with an (R) at Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center and then waited for a second (R)!

At 36 Street, it held again to connect with that first (R). Meanwhile, the second (D) that was a healthy distance away caught up to the (N) and was right behind in the tunnel.

If the trains are quick, the MTA holds them back. If the trains are slow, they lean back in their seats and congratulate themselves for a job well done.

Edited by CenSin

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

Ridiculous how the dispatchers keep holding express trains station after station.

(N) held at Manhattan Bridge junction to let a (D) go first. Connected with an (R) at Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center and then waited for a second (R)!

At 36 Street, it held again to connect with that first (R). Meanwhile, the second (D) that was a healthy distance away caught up to the (N) and was right behind in the tunnel.

If the trains are quick, the MTA holds them back. If the trains are slow, they lean back in their seats and congratulate themselves for a job well done.

That’s all Tower operators, not Dispachers. some work well under pressure and some take their time...

8 hours ago, VIP said:

That’s all Tower operators, not Dispachers. some work well under pressure and some take their time...

I don't think it's pressure. Clearly they had the (N) train held multiple times longer than necessary—up to 3 minutes. That's plenty of time to get shit figured out. The doors closing coincided with the departure of the (R)s across the platform—a pretty deliberate decision, I say. I wasn't at 59 Street, but I'll bet that they held the train there too.

Where's that MTA poster bragging about more reliable (N) express service again? It said something about being “ahead of schedule” like it was exactly what customers wanted to hear.

Edited by CenSin

:lol:

2 hours ago, CenSin said:

I don't think it's pressure. Clearly they had the (N) train held multiple times longer than necessary—up to 3 minutes. That's plenty of time to get shit figured out. The doors closing coincided with the departure of the (R)s across the platform—a pretty deliberate decision, I say. I wasn't at 59 Street, but I'll bet that they held the train there too.

Where's that MTA poster bragging about more reliable (N) express service again? It said something about being “ahead of schedule” like it was exactly what customers wanted to hear.

I wish they held some (3)'s at Utica that long for a (4) to enter...:lol:

4 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

:lol:

I wish they held some (3)'s at Utica that long for a (4) to enter...:lol:

The A division services are all running an insane amount of trains per hour compared to the B division overall. The (C)(D)(G)(J)(M)(N)(R)(W) aren’t that great in terms of frequency. If trains were back-to-back like the (6), train supervision would be less inclined to exercise those yellow holding lights.

I’ve been on the (Q) more often now that the (N) has been cut from Coney Island. The (Q) doesn’t get treated like crap as often as the (N). Aside from the train operators’ performance, I don’t really have complaints about the (Q). 18 minutes from Coney Island to Chinatown is pretty damn good performance and competitive with the (N) back when it performed at its peak.

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

The A division services are all running an insane amount of trains per hour compared to the B division overall. The (C)(D)(G)(J)(M)(N)(R)(W) aren’t that great in terms of frequency. If trains were back-to-back like the (6), train supervision would be less inclined to exercise those yellow holding lights.

I’ve been on the (Q) more often now that the (N) has been cut from Coney Island. The (Q) doesn’t get treated like crap as often as the (N). Aside from the train operators’ performance, I don’t really have complaints about the (Q). 18 minutes from Coney Island to Chinatown is pretty damn good performance and competitive with the (N) back when it performed at its peak.

The (Q) is probably the most reliable B division line overall. It’s a great line given how few GOs it has on the weekend and how its minimal interlining make it one of the few lines to be about the same weekdays and weekends...

It's so annoying that the Rockaway Parkway (L) station doesn't have an Token booth at the moment... Want to buy an Metrocard at that stop? Well you can't cause the stupid MVM's aren't working properly!

Being that the MVM are out in the open and not in the station house there's no way I'd risk using my debit card at those machines. Arrrggh stupid MTA

Graphic design people: for those of who you remember Gorgor's subway FIND maker, would you happen to be able to identify the fonts used? I'm attempting to try creating some of my own based on the original template, but if anyone is able to identify the fonts used for the subway bullet, the terminal name/service information, "Accessible station", "New York City Transit", or any of the text that refers to stops along the bottom, it would be a great help. Thanks!

oqZ5vlo.png

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Nearly every B division route going into southern Brooklyn was screwed this late afternoon. Not too many alternatives for a Coney Island-bound person from Manhattan.

dlFMcYD.png

v8CL1WP.png

gf4NrhH.png

bg6ygeo.png

The issue with the (A)(C)(D) stemmed from 103 Street police activity. From the stringline, it seems that at least one (A) went local and got stranded for a while before 103 Street. The limitation of these stringlines is now apparent now that we know the (Q) is rerouted to Astoria this weekend: it only shows pre-programmed stations, not the station stops that trains make when there is a service change. So the (D)might have gone local too, but the stringlines would not indicate so.

50 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Nearly every B division route going into southern Brooklyn was screwed this late afternoon. Not too many alternatives for a Coney Island-bound person from Manhattan.

dlFMcYD.png

v8CL1WP.png

gf4NrhH.png

bg6ygeo.png

The issue with the (A)(C)(D) stemmed from 103 Street police activity. From the stringline, it seems that at least one (A) went local and got stranded for a while before 103 Street. The limitation of these stringlines is now apparent now that we know the (Q) is rerouted to Astoria this weekend: it only shows pre-programmed stations, not the station stops that trains make when there is a service change. So the (D)might have gone local too, but the stringlines would not indicate so.

Two southbound (A) and (C) Trains and one southbound (D) Train got stranded between 103rd Street and 135th Street.

I was on the northbound (D) Train that went local (Last train through CPW before it shutdown) before the Northbound (A) and (C) Trains started turning at 59. It took over two hours for the entire situation to get resolved. 

1 minute ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Two southbound (A) and (C) Trains and one southbound (D) Train got stranded between 103rd Street and 135th Street.

I was on the northbound (D) Train that went local (Last train through CPW before it shutdown) before the Northbound (A) and (C) Trains started turning at 59. It took over two hours for the entire situation to get resolved. 

And still not an explanation or details of what occurred. Just a measly “NYPD activity” 

1 minute ago, VIP said:

And still not an explanation or details of what occurred. Just a measly “NYPD activity” 

Oh what happened was this guy threatened everyone on the (D) Train Express southbound that he had a gun and someone pulled the emergency brakes out of fear. Police had to request power to be removed and alot of people including the swat team and Transit Chief showed up at the scene. The entire thing was a disaster. The only fortunate part was this didn't happen on a weekday because imagine with more Trains on the road along with the (B) Train? 

10 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Oh what happened was this guy threatened everyone on the (D) Train Express southbound that he had a gun and someone pulled the emergency brakes out of fear. Police had to request power to be removed and alot of people including the swat team and Transit Chief showed up at the scene. The entire thing was a disaster. The only fortunate part was this didn't happen on a weekday because imagine with more Trains on the road along with the (B) Train? 

You heard through the grapevine? 

On 1/8/2020 at 8:00 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Too bad the Jamaica Ave line turns off at Crescent Street. It should have instead continued along the more direct route of Jamaica Ave to Broadway Junction. That way they could have built an express track and people from Queens and East Brooklyn would actually consider the (J) to Manhattan instead of taking the bus to the Queens Blvd line. Even the (A) all the way in Queens especially along Liberty Ave East of Woodhaven Blvd is overlooked because the Q10, Q37 and Q52/Q53 to the Queens Blvd line is faster than having to go through Brooklyn then Manhattan. 

On 1/8/2020 at 9:38 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

I actually had a plan for a Jamaica Avenue route between East NY and Cypress Hills, but I had it as a subway linking to the Fulton Street Line (using existing provisions). This also supplemented plans for a Broadway-Fulton connection between Manhattan and Brooklyn (new tunnel). 

In my new plan, I had the (R) and (W) take this new tunnel, with the (R) to Euclid and the (W) to Jamaica Center, with the (J) going from Broadway Junction to 95th Street, and the (C) becoming express to Lefferts Blvd in Queens. With this plan, I anticipated that riders going to Lower Manhattan (especially the area around Broad Street) would save riders 10-15 minutes, even with the (W) making all the stops. For Fulton Street and midtown Manhattan, if they transfer to the (A) and (C), they can do it cross-platform instead of passageways and the express service will be more frequent, saving time. Perhaps this is what’s needed to make Jamaica Avenue more attractive.

Really, what should've happened when they built the IND in Brooklyn was that they should've replaced the Jamaica El with the four track IND and then Broadway el service continued over the eastern half of the Fulton el. Woodhaven and Ozone Park don't really need four IND tracks, but Jamaica does.

Edited by bobtehpanda

1 hour ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Why would anyone pull the brake in that situation? You’d just leave yourself stuck in the situation since the one way out (getting off at the next stop) would now be delayed...

How stupidly some people act when panicked...  

Man.... It's amazing to think the R142s & R142As are very soon approaching there 20 years of service. I remember back in late 2000 when I first rode a downtown (2) train to 42nd Street, at the time on a brand-new Bombardier R142 (probably one of the very few that were running at that time) with that new car smell. Just a thought lol.

39 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why would anyone pull the brake in that situation? You’d just leave yourself stuck in the situation since the one way out (getting off at the next stop) would now be delayed...

That's what everyone is saying and it's true. One of my Train operator friends made an excellent point that what he did (The person who pulled the brakes) has put everyone in situation because if he did have a gun everyone would have been in harm's way and and it may have not ended well.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

55 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why would anyone pull the brake in that situation?

Well, it is an emergency...

(Yes, I'm aware it was a false alarm.)

56 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Panic typically overrides rational thought. It's a flaw of human nature.

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Really, what should've happened when they built the IND in Brooklyn was that they should've replaced the Jamaica El with the four track IND and then Broadway el service continued over the eastern half of the Fulton el. Woodhaven and Ozone Park don't really need four IND tracks, but Jamaica does.

Yeah exactly the Fulton Street line can’t properly be used to its full capacity as a four track line because of the two track section between Canal Street and Hoyt-Schermerhorn streets