Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Recommended Posts

Man.... It's amazing to think the R142s & R142As are very soon approaching there 20 years of service. I remember back in late 2000 when I first rode a downtown (2) train to 42nd Street, at the time on a brand-new Bombardier R142 (probably one of the very few that were running at that time) with that new car smell. Just a thought lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why would anyone pull the brake in that situation? You’d just leave yourself stuck in the situation since the one way out (getting off at the next stop) would now be delayed...

How stupidly some people act when panicked...  

That's what everyone is saying and it's true. One of my Train operator friends made an excellent point that what he did (The person who pulled the brakes) has put everyone in situation because if he did have a gun everyone would have been in harm's way and and it may have not ended well.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why would anyone pull the brake in that situation?

Well, it is an emergency...

(Yes, I'm aware it was a false alarm.)

56 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

How stupidly some people act when panicked...  

Panic typically overrides rational thought. It's a flaw of human nature.

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

 

Really, what should've happened when they built the IND in Brooklyn was that they should've replaced the Jamaica El with the four track IND and then Broadway el service continued over the eastern half of the Fulton el. Woodhaven and Ozone Park don't really need four IND tracks, but Jamaica does.

Yeah exactly the Fulton Street line can’t properly be used to its full capacity as a four track line because of the two track section between Canal Street and Hoyt-Schermerhorn streets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why would anyone pull the brake in that situation? You’d just leave yourself stuck in the situation since the one way out (getting off at the next stop) would now be delayed...

How stupidly some people act when panicked...  

True, but at least the suspect couldn’t escape.

But totally, I agree with your point.

Edited by Snorunts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why would anyone pull the brake in that situation? You’d just leave yourself stuck in the situation since the one way out (getting off at the next stop) would now be delayed...

How stupidly some people act when panicked...  

And, in R68s, meaning you can't leave the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Did a set of Jerome R142's receive new door motors?

If you are referring to cars 1211-1215, yes, they did get new door motors. I have a video right here of the unit:

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why would anyone pull the brake in that situation? You’d just leave yourself stuck in the situation since the one way out (getting off at the next stop) would now be delayed...

How stupidly some people act when panicked...  

Yes. One time I was on an (A) train when a fight broke out and someone pulled the emergency brakes..😣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Yes. One time I was on an (A) train when a fight broke out and someone pulled the emergency brakes..😣

Wow..Im staying off the lines with those R46/68/A if i can help it....When something like that goes off u basically in harms way until the train reach the next station which in some cases can be long enough for something serious to happen to passenger....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 9:48 PM, danielhg121 said:

The whole practice of skip-stop isn't even all that efficient since the same trackage is still shared. Those tight ass turns aren't helping matters either...

Skip stop works great in situations where station usage along the skip stop portion is fairly consistent between stops and service is frequent. The headways on the J/Z aren’t great enough to warrant it. Additionally, NYC’s labor market is becoming more fragmented and less centralized in Manhattan, so plenty of people on the J/Z aren’t heading to Manhattan anymore. The assumption that J/Z were going to Manhattan is what that express and skip stop service was designed for. It’s time to axe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you guys view this plan: 

Skip stop eliminated

(M), 10 tph, same as today

(J) , 7.5 tph, local between Marcy and Broadway Junction

(Z) , 7.5 tph, express between Marcy and Broadway Junction in the peak direction 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

How do you guys view this plan: 

Skip stop eliminated

(M), 10 tph, same as today

(J) , 7.5 tph, local between Marcy and Broadway Junction

(Z) , 7.5 tph, express between Marcy and Broadway Junction in the peak direction 

 

I love it and it sets up perfectly for future conversion of the Jamaica El past Crescent Street to three tracks at a later date.

IMO the end goal should be the (Z) becoming a <7> like service stopping at Marcy, Myrtle, Broadway Junction, Crescent Street, Woodhaven Blvd, Sutphin Blvd and Parsons-Archer

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I love it and it sets up perfectly for future conversion of the Jamaica El past Crescent Street to three tracks at a later date.

IMO the end goal should be the (Z) becoming a <7> like service stopping at Marcy, Myrtle, Broadway Junction, Crescent Street, Woodhaven Blvd, Sutphin Blvd and Parsons-Archer

Then it would just be a <J>. Either that, or they need to put some consistency back into the nomenclature by giving separate designations for the <6><7>(A) (the one to the other terminal), and <F>.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Then it would just be a <J>. Either that, or they need to put some consistency back into the nomenclature by giving separate designations for the <6><7>(A) (the one to the other terminal), and <F>.

The (Z) is already entrenched as the part time (J) supplement so I see no reason to get rid of that designation just to introduce a diamond J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The (Z) is already entrenched as the part time (J) supplement so I see no reason to get rid of that designation just to introduce a diamond J.

Consistency is a pretty compelling reason, I'd say. The (A) is one of those that definitely requires it. But as the (J) and (Z) are still form a skip-stop pair like the (1) and (9) did, it is technically consistent… until it forms an express-local pair like the (7)<7>.

Edited by CenSin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 10:34 PM, jon2305 said:

Man.... It's amazing to think the R142s & R142As are very soon approaching there 20 years of service. I remember back in late 2000 when I first rode a downtown (2) train to 42nd Street, at the time on a brand-new Bombardier R142 (probably one of the very few that were running at that time) with that new car smell. Just a thought lol.

They still look new!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

@Union Tpke They paved over the Broad St (J)(Z) entrance that was near the NY stock exchange.

I saw that last week. Idiots. Do you know when it was actually done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Union Tpke said:

I saw that last week. Idiots. Do you know when it was actually done?

Not sure, just noticed it today. Did they HAVE to pave over that entrance?? They couldn't have added a security door and locked it that way??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So no one minds how inconsistent the R160’s are and have become??  Some sets don’t have floor mats, some sets have yellow looped bars and some others have silver (standard) looped bars with no floor mats.  It’s like the R32 overhaul. MTA seems to start something and not finish or start something then modify it later down the road (to a different spec) Some 8-car units from East New York have those yellow floor mats with blue arrows. So much for uniformity. Hell, even some R46’s differ from each other in the matters of spec and ascetics.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VIP said:

So no one minds how inconsistent the R160’s are and have become??  Some sets don’t have floor mats, some sets have yellow looped bars and some others have silver (standard) looped bars with no floor mats.  It’s like the R32 overhaul. MTA seems to start something and not finish or start something then modify it later down the road (to a different spec) Some 8-car units from East New York have those yellow floor mats with blue arrows. So much for uniformity. Hell, even some R46’s differ from each other in the matters of spec and ascetics.  

I’ve said this months ago, but this is typical of the MTA and honestly it just looks very sloppy. They don’t finish any of the car treatment or rehab programs they do which is why we still have R160s roaming around that never got deep cleaned.

Look at Jamaica’s fleet for example, they changed the interior lights in some of the R46’s, gave them door mats and yellow poles, but a lot of their R160s never were touched. I think it is a yard thing though because the R160s at ENY have them, the only thing is those cars get tagged up all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t forget the R62As. I’ve observed two sets on the (6), and they didn’t even finish installing the brighter lighting on the sets.

(2096 with, 2097-2100 w/out, observer 12/06/19)

(2151-2153 with, 2154-2155 w/out, observed 1/9/20)

240th (1) has done a better job from what I’ve seen. However, from both yards, some sets have yellow poles, while others have the regular stanchions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.