SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Calvin said:

Surprise that Astoria-Ditmars came in a pattern of 46s as in N then W meanwhile 2 68As back to back another N with W with a 160 that's an N. Those signs are all over the place with the 68s (one came in as a N but has Whitehall St as the southern terminal) and 46s (N up front with W on the rear). 

This is one of many reasons why the R160s should not leave the (N)(W) . 

Edited by darkstar8983

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

49430214896_798e6fdc65_c.jpg

Rumor is true. Byford is out. 

No... NO!!! There goes any chance of the (MTA) gaining any respect from the general public in terms of service and reputation. He is gonna be missed by alot of New Yorkers for a long time. It feels like the subway is doomed. 😞

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

46 minutes ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

No... NO!!! There goes any chance of the (MTA) gaining any respect from the general public in terms of service and reputation. He is gonna be missed by alot of New Yorkers for a long time. It feels like the subway is doomed. 😞

This is terrible. He seemed like he had the MTA going in the right direction. 

18 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Quick question. What's the difference between a thumbs up and an upvote?

They basically do the same thing, use whichever one you like.

38 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

This is terrible. He seemed like he had the MTA going in the right direction. 

He definitely did in many ways, he flipped the state of Toronto’s transit system so I had no doubt he would do good for us.

I do hope the (MTA) gets better from here, at its current state though, that sounds like a hilarious thing to say.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

38 minutes ago, R42sDaBest said:

Welp there goes the one man that knew what he was doing.... I guess the MTA would just get worse from here on out. 

It’s unsettling to see a bright-minded man leave the (MTA) when they needed him most. I’m hopeful that he left at least an impression on how the (MTA) should be managed. Let’s hope that the (MTA) doesn’t disregard his efforts to making the system better.

17 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

Could the (6) terminate at 51st St ?

Uptown, yes. It could go onto the downtown track north of 42 St and terminate. Downtown, it theoretically could use the switches north of 42 St to turn, but then it should just terminate there.

Cheer the black lady on, guys.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qxmeoeD

jNbYSDF.jpg

5AtpOA4.jpg

P2BKSbe.jpg

I don’t know what her problem was, but the Russian just stayed centered between the end of the bench and the pole when the black lady asked politely for a seat. The Russian wouldn’t budge even though the spot next to her was just fine.

The black girl was telling her off. Then a fellow Russian lady came up to her and told her off too. That was hilarious, because “even your own people are telling you that you’re wrong!”

Edited by CenSin

I don't think I've seen this discussed anywhere:

Bombardier scrambles to craft rail merger with Alstom, Hitachi: sources

Pamela Barbaglia, Allison Lampert, Gwénaëlle Barzic

4 MIN READ

LONDON/MONTREAL/PARIS (Reuters) - Bombardier (BBDb.TO) has approached France’s Alstom (ALSO.PA) and Japan’s Hitachi (6501.T) to find a merger partner for its rail business as it struggles to contain costs that have eaten into margins, sources told Reuters.

The Canadian manufacturer of planes and trains is working with Citigroup (C.N) and UBS (UBSG.S) to strike a deal that could help create a rail champion to better compete with China’s state-backed operator, CRRC. Rail companies are eyeing consolidation to reduce costs through scale in a market dominated by CRRC, the world’s largest train maker.

Bombardier has seen its share price plunge 37% since the start of the year after it flagged a 2019 profit warning on Jan.16.

It has been reviewing several rail merger scenarios in recent months which also involved a possible deal with Germany’s Siemens (SIEGn.DE) and a Chinese counterpart, but these options failed to gain traction, one of the sources said. It remains in active talks with Alstom, one of its closest rivals in Europe, while also looking at Hitachi as another merger option, the sources said, requesting anonymity as the matter is confidential. Bombardier, Alstom, Hitachi and Siemens all declined to comment.

Discussions with French industrial group Alstom began in July and became serious in September, one of the sources said. The French government is open to a rail deal for Alstom but no final decision has been made on the terms of a potential transaction, another source said. Alstom, advised by Rothschild, was only recently involved in a similar rail merger with Siemens - a deal set to create a European rail powerhouse but subsequently halted over antitrust concerns. Berenberg analysts said that there would be less of a regulatory barrier to a deal between Alstom and Bombardier since the pair has a lower European market share in high-speed rail and signaling.

Japanese conglomerate Hitachi was also approached last year, the sources said, but it was not immediately clear whether the talks are still ongoing. Hitachi’s biggest rail market in Europe is Britain where there is little overlap with Bombardier’s operations. Yet both companies are active in Germany where concentration may raise concerns among European authorities, one of the sources said.

Bombardier’s selection of its preferred merger partner will ultimately hinge on the likelihood of winning antitrust approval and the remedies that can be offered to soothe competition concerns, the sources said. European regulators are set to review two-decade old rules that determine if companies have the market power to hammer rivals - a move that could help Bombardier win consensus for its rail deal.

GROWING PRESSURE

Bombardier sold 30% of its rail business to Canada’s second-largest pension fund, Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec, in 2015 after reviewing strategic options including a possible listing in Germany or Britain. However, the unit has since struggled to cope with a handful of problematic rail contracts which have eaten into its margins, leading Bombardier to issue a profit warning for 2019.

The company recently slashed its guidance for its fourth-quarter earnings due to delays in business jet deliveries and higher rail costs. The plane-and-train-maker, which has $9.7 billion in outstanding bonds according to Refinitiv data, faces growing pressure to quickly raise money from its transport unit, one of the sources said.

“They are serious about this. Without a deal the outlook is bleak,” he said.

Has Hitachi ever made subway cars in the US?

18 hours ago, CenSin said:

Cheer the black lady on, guys.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qxmeoeD

I don’t know what her problem was, but the Russian just stayed centered between the end of the bench and the pole when the black lady asked politely for a seat. The Russian wouldn’t budge even though the spot next to her was just fine.

The black girl was telling her off. Then a fellow Russian lady came up to her and told her off too. That was hilarious, because “even your own people are telling you that you’re wrong!”

I'm having a hard time understanding. Aren't the benches three seats wide? Why would it matter if the Russian lady kept sitting where she was, wouldn't she have a seat space on either side anyways?

3 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I'm having a hard time understanding. Aren't the benches three seats wide? Why would it matter if the Russian lady kept sitting where she was, wouldn't she have a seat space on either side anyways?

They could have both had more space had they spread out.

4 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I don't think I've seen this discussed anywhere:

Has Hitachi ever made subway cars in the US?

Miami went to Hitachi for new cars pretty recently.

As for the article itself, I'm not surprised that profits were down. Between the trade war (thanks. Trump!) and Bombardier's questionable handling of some of the more recent orders (yes, that's partially a jab at the R179s), what were they expecting?

Not certain if anyone posted this, yet (sorry if it's a duplicate post)...

https://www.wnyc.org/story/how-one-wheelchair-user-conquers-sometimes-accessible-nyc-transit-system (audio included)

https://gothamist.com/news/wheelchair-subway-accessible-nyc-transit-system-mta (text and photos)

The article/audio from January 23, 2020 outlines the difficulties a wheelchair-bound passenger may have navigating the NYC subway system. In the links above, a young woman describes her commute from Kew Gardens to LIC (and sometimes into NYC) via subway. Occasionally, she'll need to use the buses to backtrack when an elevator is out of order at a given station. This is very inconvenient for her and other mobility impaired travelers (we should thank God for the ...knock on wood... good health we have).

I hope the MTA is aware of the plight that some commuters face due to inaccessible transit stations. I also hope the MTA is aware of how having newly designed bus routes terminate at inaccessible subway stations can further complicate an already difficult trip to/from work/school/medical/leisure/other (i.e. places we all go to in our lives) for those with mobility issues. Maybe some lawsuits based on legitimate ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) concerns to the MTA/NY State would be an impetus to fix the faulty elevators in stations that already have them, add elevators to stations which are not ADA compliant, and re-route buses only to stations with (working) ADA amenities.

Edited by Uncle Floyd Fan
correction of a typo