SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Those who pay should never be forced to leave

To be clear, the post is focusing on those that are mentally ill/addicts/aggressive. The ones that stink up the car, lay on the seats or use the car as storage for their items, treat the car as their bathroom, harrass riders, etc. Even if these people pay (which I doubt they do), their actions disrupt riders and the system as a whole and they should be removed. 

The problem is quickly getting out of hand. 

On the other hand, someone who is sleeping, sitting up unnoticed, paid the fare, and arent disturbing riders can be left alone.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Alright, fine. I should have said except terminal stations. You also didn't include 145th, making it incorrect. I would have counted it if you also mentioned 145th.

Lol.

I got subway knowledge that impresses tourists. You got subway knowledge that impresses God.

1 hour ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

To be clear, the post is focusing on those that are mentally ill/addicts/aggressive. The ones that stink up the car, lay on the seats or use the car as storage for their items, treat the car as their bathroom, harrass riders, etc. Even if these people pay (which I doubt they do), their actions disrupt riders and the system as a whole and they should be removed. 

The problem is quickly getting out of hand. 

On the other hand, someone who is sleeping, sitting up unnoticed, paid the fare, and arent disturbing riders can be left alone.

Taking up more than 1 seat is already against the rules. Laying down on the bench is a specific case of that.

3 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

How is that a bug? 

145th can only be entered in the downtown direction. Uptown is exit only. The question was not about the number of platforms.

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

You also didn't include 145th, making it incorrect.

It was my mistake that I doubted you regarding this. I looked at this differently from you.

9 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

How is that a bug? 

145th can only be entered in the downtown direction. Uptown is exit only. The question was not about the number of platforms.

47557376572_ceccd644db_k.jpgA Framework For Transit Planning In The New York Region 1986 Regional Plan Association Report by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Somebody sure hated els.

3 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Yeah, not all that different from the 1977 proposal:

39886050353_8c9d423da3_c.jpgIMG_3990 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

Were they also planning to replace the (2) and (5) through the South Bronx? And I need to know that the red alternatives routes were in that plan? Also, where did that book come from?

14 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Were they also planning to replace the (2) and (5) through the South Bronx? And I need to know that the red alternatives routes were in that plan? Also, where did that book come from?

It's from Power for the MTA (1977) by the RPA.

Click the link and take a look at other images from the same album.

3 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Yeah they are going to do whatever they want on (A)(C) line. They probably really don't want to use R46 on (C) and to keep them on (A). Just like the (A) probably really don't want to use R32.

The (A)(C) would have been a lot more interesting had Cuomo not pulled the plug last minute on the (L) shutdown by turning it half-ass on nights and weekends only with one tube shut down. Same with the original plan to get the (G) closer to full length by being 480 feet long like the BMT Eastern Division.

A train operator for the (N)(W) in Astoria told me that the cars would be swapped back in 6-months because only the Queens Blvd Express was going to be tested first, and the R211s will be there in sufficient quantity by the time the local is automated. So who knows how many more R160s are going to go to Jamaica. Notice that the swap has slowed down a bit. And now there’s rearrangement of cars within CI. In conclusion, even though there is documentation that almost every R160 has to go to Jamaica, several things have happened:

MTA wants to retire the R32s now instead of in 2022, lowering the spare factor and increasing the R46 requirement for the (A)(C).

The R179 mess, requiring an increased spare factor.

The Coney Island Yard rearrangement:

- R46s on the (G) again

- not as many R46s on the (N)(W) 

there were at least seven R68s on the (N) today along with at least three on the (Q), and probably more R160s on the (N) because of the (Q)s loss of a few R160s and the lowered number of R46s on the (N)(W).

this also suggests that maybe the leftover R160s that will not (might not) head to Jamaica until the next car shipment might remain on the (N). Otherwise they would have removed the last of the (N)s R160s outright 

Edited by darkstar8983

20 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

A train operator for the (N)(W) in Astoria told me that the cars would be swapped back in 6-months because only the Queens Blvd Express was going to be tested first, and the R211s will be there in sufficient quantity by the time the local is automated. So who knows how many more R160s are going to go to Jamaica. Notice that the swap has slowed down a bit. And now there’s rearrangement of cars within CI. In conclusion, even though there is documentation that almost every R160 has to go to Jamaica, several things have happened:

MTA wants to retire the R32s now instead of in 2022, lowering the spare factor and increasing the R46 requirement for the (A)(C).

The R179 mess, requiring an increased spare factor.

The Coney Island Yard rearrangement:

- R46s on the (G) again

- not as many R46s on the (N)(W) 

there were at least seven R68s on the (N) today along with at least three on the (Q), and probably more R160s on the (N) because of the (Q)s loss of a few R160s and the lowered number of R46s on the (N)(W).

this also suggests that maybe the leftover R160s that will not (might not) head to Jamaica until the next car shipment might remain on the (N). Otherwise they would have removed the last of the (N)s R160s outright 

You REALLY want those R160’s to go back to the (N)(W) huh... I guess your T/O fellow doesn’t like the swap either.

The (MTA) isn’t going to waste time swapping cars from CI to JAM, only to return them in a few months. I hope you’ll like walking to the (R) train on a regular basis.

2 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

You REALLY want those R160’s to go back to the (N)(W) huh... I guess your T/O fellow doesn’t like the swap either.

The (MTA) isn’t going to waste time swapping cars from CI to JAM, only to return them in a few months. I hope you’ll like walking to the (R) train on a regular basis.

Today took a lyft car to work (missed the R160 due to faulty MetroCard Vending Machines at Ditmars)

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

A train operator for the (N)(W) in Astoria told me that the cars would be swapped back in 6-months because only the Queens Blvd Express was going to be tested first, and the R211s will be there in sufficient quantity by the time the local is automated.

That alone is more than enough reason to keep the swap going.