SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

9 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

You conveniently left out the part of the post above which goes in hand with the first part of what you quoted from me, so lets not act like we're all befuddled out of nowhere.  All those lines I mentioned had worse OTPs than the (N) / (W) , so AFAIC, his statement is factually incorrect. 

You yourself stated:

Well, my first sentence in that second part (the first sentence of the part of the post you quoted me on) was in response to that statement. I can read, and I have read the posts throughout this thread, so I know what's going on. You referenced him in your own post, so why would I be talking about you??? Like I mentioned, there's nothing wrong with having resentment for a particular train type. But by saying what you said above, you're basically agreeing with his argumentative style.

He's making baseless statements and his argument isn't substantive as a result of it, so that is in fact, bullshitting around. On top of that, his post about he claims to avoid R46s are not rational, no matter how you splice it. It throws out whatever credibility he had left, and I don't blame everybody else for calling him out on it. Doesn't matter if your post is 100% correct or not, if you are not going to convey it in a way which is conducive to discussions, then you will catch heat for it.

Look! I do not have a baseless claim. I’ve been speaking to commuters in Astoria daily since this swap happened and service has in everyone’s opinion deteriorated. Theyre like “ the MTA is always sticking it to Astoria” with all the delays and poor service. And now taking away the one good thing we had about our subway service was the nail on the coffin.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/21/2020 at 3:53 PM, Union Tpke said:

Jesus, the R62's really tanked. Wonder what gives. Its good to see the R142/A's are getting a major increase. They were barely above 80,000 a not too long ago. 

13 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

I heard from a T/O that the R32s will be retiring in April, and the R68s will be replacing them. Where will the 68s come from? CI Yard?

NYCT employees gossip just like any other work place. Just because a T/O said it doesn't mean it's true. This is replying to that R68 replacing them bit.. Ethier that T/O is trolling you or he told you some random chatty patty nonsense..

Edited by trainfan22

Those of you who don't have the facts to back up your claims about certain types of car equipment having impacts on certain lines shouldn't comment as if you do. It's an unnecessary waste of everybody's time and computer bandwidth. As these charts show, actual (N)(W) runtimes are down vs 2019, even when you limit the analysis to just the PM rush. I don't doubt that the R46s are having 3-10s adverse impacts on dwell times at busier stations and maybe are slowing some express runs slightly, but those impacts seem to be trivial in the face of the general downwards trend in runtimes. 

PU7u736.png

B6jUo6g.png

hXIgXUY.png

14 hours ago, Jova42R said:

I heard from a T/O that the R32s will be retiring in April, and the R68s will be replacing them. Where will the 68s come from? CI Yard?

Its a rumor but I wouldn't be surprised. The (C) has one terminal while the (B) has two and the (N)(W) always switching. So in turn CI could Loose 140 R68's for 140 R46's.

44 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Its a rumor but I wouldn't be surprised. The (C) has one terminal while the (B) has two and the (N)(W) always switching. So in turn CI could Loose 140 R68's for 140 R46's.

That doesn’t even make sense. It’s more logical to keep the R46s at Pitkin, and R68s at Coney Island. The (C) can use the 8-9 R46 train sets needed for rush hours out of Pitkin Yard, just like how the (A) uses R32s out of 207 Street. That can save a lot of spares, and it creates a more uniform fleet. 72 cars beats 140 cars, and saves 8.5 trains.

Edited by SimplyMyself

14 minutes ago, SimplyMyself said:

That doesn’t even make sense. It’s more logical to keep the R46s at Pitkin, and R68s at Coney Island. The (C) can use the 8-9 R46 train sets needed for rush hours out of Pitkin Yard, just like how the (A) uses R32s out of 207 Street. That can save a lot of spares, and it creates a more uniform fleet. 72 cars beats 140 cars, and saves 8.5 trains.

it wouldn't be enough spares ether way, 5 set spare factor with a pair of R46's isn't enough for 2 lines. hence getting rid of the R32's this early on is dumb.

Edited by R32 3838

On 2/22/2020 at 11:31 AM, MHV9218 said:

Thought it was worth sharing this clear photo of a mid-1970s 'semi-Vignelli' station sign. As the NYCTA switched from black-on-white to white-on-black, for whatever reason the bullet modules often stayed in the original form until the late-1970s when they switched entirely. Black-on-white signs were used from 1967-1973, roughly, and by around 1973/1974 the first signs of the current inverted form made an appearance. This sign is quite easy to date: the station was overhauled in 1973, receiving the same godawful red brick tiles over its original BMT mosaics as a number of other stations. With that renovation came porcelain enamel white-on-black nameplate signs (with a unique white stripe at the bottom as well as the top of the sign), as well as these metal overhead signs with this combined color style. The station signs actually lasted until only a few years ago, but these signs have been gone for ages. This style of white bullet/black sign was most commonly used at IRT stations (West Side, East Side, Shuttle, Flushing), so it's interesting to see this so clearly on a Manhattan BMT line. 

Doug Grotjahn photo from the late Joe Testagrose collection. 1977.

You know an incredible amount about subway signage. You should write a paper/book about it!

53 minutes ago, SimplyMyself said:

39 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

it wouldn't be enough spares ether way, 5 set spare factor with a pair of R46's isn't enough for 2 lines. hence getting rid of the R32's this early on is dumb.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Exactly, we need the R32s so that there is not a car shortage on the (C).

It’s funny how not a single transit worker cried about there being a car shortage if the R32’s retired, meanwhile many of you who don’t work in the yard (or for transit for that matter) are going ape shit about car shortage and “spare factors”... the 210 R179’s came in for Fulton Street/8 Av service and now there’s a car surplus with the R32’s... There’s more than enough R46’s to bless the (A) and (C) the R32’s are not needed and there’s never been a plan to keep X amount of R32 sets til R211’s arrived. I don’t Know where y’all got that from. 222 R32’s verses 210 R179’s huge difference in reliability and replacement. 

Edited by VIP

2 hours ago, VIP said:

It’s funny how not a single transit worker cried about there being a car shortage if the R32’s retired, meanwhile many of you who don’t work in the yard (or for transit for that matter) are going ape shit about car shortage and “spare factors”... the 210 R179’s came in for Fulton Street/8 Av service and now there’s a car surplus with the R32’s... There’s more than enough R46’s to bless the (A) and (C) the R32’s are not needed and there’s never been a plan to keep X amount of R32 sets til R211’s arrived. I don’t Know where y’all got that from. 222 R32’s verses 210 R179’s huge difference in reliability and replacement. 

(Deucey was here) just because you work for the (MTA) doesn’t make you a god. You’re still basically Governor Cuomo’s yes man at the end of the day.

You’ll see when the R32s are fully retired soon enough. Lol. I’ll wait.

Edited by Deucey
Content

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

(Deucey was here) just because you work for the (MTA) doesn’t make you a god. You’re still basically Governor Cuomo’s yes man at the end of the day.

Not for nothing but was it neccessary to use the N word over this?

Edited by Deucey
Content

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

(Deucey was here) just because you work for the (MTA) doesn’t make you a god. You’re still basically Governor Cuomo’s yes man at the end of the day.

Not necessary to use such language. Nothing good comes from that. Chill....

Edited by Deucey
Content

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Last I checked, 222 > 210, and we've already had serious issues with the R179s.

Moreover, it's been stated multiple times (including in official documents!) that the R32s are not to be retired before the R211s arrive and are plentiful enough to facilitate replacement.