SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All that's happening in that board clip is that the board member is slightly misreading the chart. The chart says that by 2023, the 32s and 42s will be gone. That should be obvious according to any plan, 179s and 211s together could do that. The board member is saying shouldn't the cars be retired earlier? And the answer to that is again yes, the 42s were always expected to be retired once the 179 fleet had entered consistent service. The remark about 'phased out' is not the same as 'retired.' Going down to 110 R32s is phasing the cars out; as in, phases. That's a phase done for the first quarter of 2020. I'm yet to see evidence that the entire R32 fleet will be retired Q1 2020, and if anything that board material just proves that the MTA's only goal is to have them fully retired by 2023.

even if cuomo did not interfere with the shutdown as others have stated the 42s and half of the 32s would have still been going bye-bye after the shutdown ended (which would have been only a few months from now). if the 32s retire this spring i definitely would not be surprised given the fact that MTA never learns in regards to premature retirements. 

so far about 106 R32s remain in service, however that number could change in the coming weeks. there are a bunch of retired 32s sitting at 207 however i do not have any knowledge on how many pairs have been stripped thus far (besides 3878-79).

15 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

even if cuomo did not interfere with the shutdown as others have stated the 42s and half of the 32s would have still been going bye-bye after the shutdown ended (which would have been only a few months from now). if the 32s retire this spring i definitely would not be surprised given the fact that MTA never learns in regards to premature retirements. 

so far about 106 R32s remain in service, however that number could change in the coming weeks. there are a bunch of retired 32s sitting at 207 however i do not have any knowledge on how many pairs have been stripped thus far (besides 3878-79).

so far a few have been stripped for parts

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

All that's happening in that board clip is that the board member is slightly misreading the chart. The chart says that by 2023, the 32s and 42s will be gone. That should be obvious according to any plan, 179s and 211s together could do that. The board member is saying shouldn't the cars be retired earlier? And the answer to that is again yes, the 42s were always expected to be retired once the 179 fleet had entered consistent service. The remark about 'phased out' is not the same as 'retired.' Going down to 110 R32s is phasing the cars out; as in, phases. That's a phase done for the first quarter of 2020. I'm yet to see evidence that the entire R32 fleet will be retired Q1 2020, and if anything that board material just proves that the MTA's only goal is to have them fully retired by 2023.

that is true, but there were alot of TA personal that are higher ups talking about it on the R42 last run. hopefully they stick to their plan and phase out the 110 cars by 2022.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Ah ok I understand now.

What’s a free program I can use to edit a subway map? I want to make a “fantasy” map (parentheses on fantasy because I’m not making one of those ridiculous maps with lines spanning almost a hundred stops, just some ideas on deinterlining, changing some service patterns, a few modest extensions and one new trunk line). 

I used MS Paint to varied successes when I used a windows computer, but now I have a mac, so MS paint is no longer an option. Thanks!

3 hours ago, YungMarxian said:

What’s a free program I can use to edit a subway map? I want to make a “fantasy” map (parentheses on fantasy because I’m not making one of those ridiculous maps with lines spanning almost a hundred stops, just some ideas on deinterlining, changing some service patterns, a few modest extensions and one new trunk line). 

I used MS Paint to varied successes when I used a windows computer, but now I have a mac, so MS paint is no longer an option. Thanks!

literally same!! I've been feening to make another one, it's been forever 

5 hours ago, YungMarxian said:

I’m not for sure if this is what you’re looking for but here’s something :

http://jpw.nyc/subway/

5 hours ago, YungMarxian said:

GIMP or Photoshop

There was a massive gap in F service this evening. When I got to the platform at Lex/63 it was already packed. A packed (F) arrived 12 minutes later. I estimated that about 210 people were trying to get into two already crushloaded subway cars. I estimated that only about 50 of these 210 people, including myself, got on the train, stranding 160 people. There were about 92 people in my car.

Here is the stringline showing my train and several trains back to back. @RR503 My train apparently got held for 15 minutes at Jay Street. The train skipped 14th Street and 23rd Street to save some time, but it was still 30 minutes behind its leader. I don't know why the train didn't skip all stops between Jay and West Fourth. The (F) behind could have done a skip of fewer stops.

49589287463_ce00d7ce0e_b.jpgStringline_Northbound_F_FX_Trains_2Hours_2-26-2020_6-16-34-PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

34 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

There was a massive gap in F service this evening. When I got to the platform at Lex/63 it was already packed. A packed (F) arrived 12 minutes later. I estimated that about 210 people were trying to get into two already crushloaded subway cars. I estimated that only about 50 of these 210 people, including myself, got on the train, stranding 160 people. There were about 92 people in my car.

Here is the stringline showing my train and several trains back to back. @RR503 My train apparently got held for 15 minutes at Jay Street. The train skipped 14th Street and 23rd Street to save some time, but it was still 30 minutes behind its leader. I don't know why the train didn't skip all stops between Jay and West Fourth. The (F) behind could have done a skip of fewer stops.

49589287463_ce00d7ce0e_b.jpgStringline_Northbound_F_FX_Trains_2Hours_2-26-2020_6-16-34-PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾?