Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

wasn't an error, they were going to keep 100-110 cars with 40- 80 remaining in Q1 2022 (retirement year)

 

 

53:00-53:30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

53:00-53:30.

 

I have a document stating that 2022 was the retirement date

 

they spent alot of money fixing up 110 r32's for this purpose.

what they are saying is just damage control, even if they retire them in the spring, they will still have a shortage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

they always did damage control

thats why they said the R179's would replace all of the R32/42's not knowing in that half the R44 fleet never got replaced. those 13 R179's on the (A) imo are the true replacements of the remaining R44's.

they don't want people thinking they didn't order enough tech trains to completely retire all the SMEE's plus fleet growth. we all knew 40 10 car R179's weren't enough for 2nd ave expansion and (MTA) just wanted to be cheap but in the end it costed them more money. this is why to this day I always wished they ordered more 160's just enough to replace the remaining R42's and R44's. and have the R179's as a direct replacement of the R32's plus fleet growth.

At that point when the R44’s were being retired wasn’t the R160 order close to being complete? I think it was too late, plus this was right before all those service cuts the (MTA) made system wide, so they definitely were not in a place to order some additional trains. Unfortunately it did take 7 years for more cars to arrive but I felt with the R179 order they should have ordered more cars. The (C) should have never received 8 car R179s with it instead having 10 car R179s. This would have allowed all cars to be swapped with the (A) whenever they need to be. I don’t know why the (MTA) is holding off with expanding the (C) and (G) lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

Saw an R32 rollsign says <C> Conc/8 Av/Fulton

Ya that happens quite a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OrionVIIonM79 said:

Yup

Well then it’s just that the T/O got to it first and figured it was just fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Source?

Cars that were SMS between 2017 and Mid 2019 in CI/207th st shops. the most recent cars being done in the summer of last year at 207th st overhaul shop

Edited by R32 3838

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that's happening in that board clip is that the board member is slightly misreading the chart. The chart says that by 2023, the 32s and 42s will be gone. That should be obvious according to any plan, 179s and 211s together could do that. The board member is saying shouldn't the cars be retired earlier? And the answer to that is again yes, the 42s were always expected to be retired once the 179 fleet had entered consistent service. The remark about 'phased out' is not the same as 'retired.' Going down to 110 R32s is phasing the cars out; as in, phases. That's a phase done for the first quarter of 2020. I'm yet to see evidence that the entire R32 fleet will be retired Q1 2020, and if anything that board material just proves that the MTA's only goal is to have them fully retired by 2023.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

even if cuomo did not interfere with the shutdown as others have stated the 42s and half of the 32s would have still been going bye-bye after the shutdown ended (which would have been only a few months from now). if the 32s retire this spring i definitely would not be surprised given the fact that MTA never learns in regards to premature retirements. 

so far about 106 R32s remain in service, however that number could change in the coming weeks. there are a bunch of retired 32s sitting at 207 however i do not have any knowledge on how many pairs have been stripped thus far (besides 3878-79).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

even if cuomo did not interfere with the shutdown as others have stated the 42s and half of the 32s would have still been going bye-bye after the shutdown ended (which would have been only a few months from now). if the 32s retire this spring i definitely would not be surprised given the fact that MTA never learns in regards to premature retirements. 

so far about 106 R32s remain in service, however that number could change in the coming weeks. there are a bunch of retired 32s sitting at 207 however i do not have any knowledge on how many pairs have been stripped thus far (besides 3878-79).

so far a few have been stripped for parts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

All that's happening in that board clip is that the board member is slightly misreading the chart. The chart says that by 2023, the 32s and 42s will be gone. That should be obvious according to any plan, 179s and 211s together could do that. The board member is saying shouldn't the cars be retired earlier? And the answer to that is again yes, the 42s were always expected to be retired once the 179 fleet had entered consistent service. The remark about 'phased out' is not the same as 'retired.' Going down to 110 R32s is phasing the cars out; as in, phases. That's a phase done for the first quarter of 2020. I'm yet to see evidence that the entire R32 fleet will be retired Q1 2020, and if anything that board material just proves that the MTA's only goal is to have them fully retired by 2023.

 

that is true, but there were alot of TA personal that are higher ups talking about it on the R42 last run. hopefully they stick to their plan and phase out the 110 cars by 2022.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

All that's happening in that board clip is that the board member is slightly misreading the chart. The chart says that by 2023, the 32s and 42s will be gone. That should be obvious according to any plan, 179s and 211s together could do that. The board member is saying shouldn't the cars be retired earlier? And the answer to that is again yes, the 42s were always expected to be retired once the 179 fleet had entered consistent service. The remark about 'phased out' is not the same as 'retired.' Going down to 110 R32s is phasing the cars out; as in, phases. That's a phase done for the first quarter of 2020. I'm yet to see evidence that the entire R32 fleet will be retired Q1 2020, and if anything that board material just proves that the MTA's only goal is to have them fully retired by 2023.

Ah ok I understand now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s a free program I can use to edit a subway map? I want to make a “fantasy” map (parentheses on fantasy because I’m not making one of those ridiculous maps with lines spanning almost a hundred stops, just some ideas on deinterlining, changing some service patterns, a few modest extensions and one new trunk line). 

 

I used MS Paint to varied successes when I used a windows computer, but now I have a mac, so MS paint is no longer an option. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, YungMarxian said:

What’s a free program I can use to edit a subway map? I want to make a “fantasy” map (parentheses on fantasy because I’m not making one of those ridiculous maps with lines spanning almost a hundred stops, just some ideas on deinterlining, changing some service patterns, a few modest extensions and one new trunk line). 

 

I used MS Paint to varied successes when I used a windows computer, but now I have a mac, so MS paint is no longer an option. Thanks!

literally same!! I've been feening to make another one, it's been forever 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, YungMarxian said:

What’s a free program I can use to edit a subway map? I want to make a “fantasy” map (parentheses on fantasy because I’m not making one of those ridiculous maps with lines spanning almost a hundred stops, just some ideas on deinterlining, changing some service patterns, a few modest extensions and one new trunk line). 

 

I used MS Paint to varied successes when I used a windows computer, but now I have a mac, so MS paint is no longer an option. Thanks!

I’m not for sure if this is what you’re looking for but here’s something :

http://jpw.nyc/subway/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, YungMarxian said:

What’s a free program I can use to edit a subway map? I want to make a “fantasy” map (parentheses on fantasy because I’m not making one of those ridiculous maps with lines spanning almost a hundred stops, just some ideas on deinterlining, changing some service patterns, a few modest extensions and one new trunk line). 

 

I used MS Paint to varied successes when I used a windows computer, but now I have a mac, so MS paint is no longer an option. Thanks!

GIMP or Photoshop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a massive gap in F service this evening. When I got to the platform at Lex/63 it was already packed. A packed (F) arrived 12 minutes later. I estimated that about 210 people were trying to get into two already crushloaded subway cars. I estimated that only about 50 of these 210 people, including myself, got on the train, stranding 160 people. There were about 92 people in my car.

Here is the stringline showing my train and several trains back to back. @RR503 My train apparently got held for 15 minutes at Jay Street. The train skipped 14th Street and 23rd Street to save some time, but it was still 30 minutes behind its leader. I don't know why the train didn't skip all stops between Jay and West Fourth. The (F) behind could have done a skip of fewer stops.

 

49589287463_ce00d7ce0e_b.jpgStringline_Northbound_F_FX_Trains_2Hours_2-26-2020_6-16-34-PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.